Antler King Trophy Clover Mix

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Spear, May 17, 2015.

1. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Keep us updated and hope all is well with the plot.

2. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The food plot business is a marketing game.
    Here is what people need to do when they buy seed from anywhere...

check the tag. see the test date
    next check the blend percentage. If it doesn't add up to the upper 90's then there is coated seed. Coated seed in itself isn't all bad as studies show some response but coated seed should cost 1/3 less as most coated seeds contain 35% coating. There are only a handfull of coaters in the us, so there is very little difference between that contrary to what the sales pitches say. Most seed is coated at one large facility out west.

Next check the weed seed contain, and inert matter. We want that number as close to 0 as possible.

The best seed mixes anyone can buy are not because of any particular bag or blend but, the right seed for your soil type, equipment, time of planting and location in the US. Buy seed that adds value. If you can get someone to give you free advice in exchange for buying their seed, thats huge in my book.

3. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can you stop patting yourself on the back in our post for once?? Like normal... what you are babbling doesnt pertain to what we are talking about.

Guy bought and planted a Antler King mix, get over it. He is happy with the way things are growing. No need for your same ol' song and dance crap, $hits getting old..

4. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've always been a fan of Antler King! Good lookin plot :tu:

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm very familiar with seed content and inert matter. If you had read this entire thread you would see that this is the very reason why I opted to try Antler King (and happy I did so). The clover seed content was high, the inert matter was low, and the seed coating helped lock the seed to the ground and germination was fast. As you can see by my pictures, the food plot is doing great, especially considering it's under a full canopy and barely gets any sunlight. I am going back out to my property today and will take updated pictures. The point is, the things you mentioned ARE the reason WHY I selected Antler King. There's no question deer eat clover and need nutrition so I'm not sure what you're hinting at. Everything costs money, seed companies utilize the same process, every company is fighting among other companies in a marketing game - what's your point?

6. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well put Doug. My best advise is try not to get caught up with nutrionist's ramblings. He has good info, just comes into a post, rambles about stuff that don't pertain to the original post and then leaves. Don't pay to reply to him.

7. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm glad someone has tried this clover mix in the woods. Doug, keep us updated with pictures throughout the season. If your plot maintains well then i've got several places i'm going to do the same!

8. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Update: the plot grew a little over an inch over the past 3 weeks but the biggest gain was how much fuller and lush it is. Some light browsing was apparent so as it matures I think the deer will really have at it. As others have said, year 2 the clover really takes off so I suspect next spring before the leaves fill in the canopy that this plot will get a head start with the sunlight.

[​IMG]

9. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just planted a bag of this Saturday, I'll report back on what it looks like in a couple of weeks.

10. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im kinda in the same boat here, so you guys are saying that it's ok to weed eat your clover plot, I know that sounds weird, but I'm not sure if that would be too hard on it...This is my clover's second year and it's thick with grasses shooting up through it.....

Thanks for any help or advice...I hope you don't mine me posting here too....THanks
    Creeks!
    20150515_192843.jpg

11. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If the plot is small enough, I would and have used a weedeater to trim the weed tops. Won't hurt the clover a bit.

12. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I've done that with the grass shoots that is coming up from the clover, but will it be ok to cut the clover down some as well, will that hurt anything...
    Thanks
    Creeks!

13. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it will be ok. I've clipped clover after flowering with a weed eater. Just don't go too low. Try to keep the clover 8-10" high

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info and help, much appreciated...
    Creeks!

15. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Clover plots are looking good that are pictured.

I mow my clover plots with my zero turn lawnmower and the highest it can go is 6inchs.

Other thing I do is mow it in strips as to have different growth stages.

I second that the weed whacker will be fine.

Keep the updates coming! :)

16. NCcrittergitter

Dislikes Received:
    I planted mine 4 weeks ago, soil PH 6.8, fertilized as recommended. I got zero germination. There's literally not 1 seed that grew anything. I emailed Antler king to see if they had any idea what the issue is. I've planted oats in this same spot for several years. Between the price of the seed, lime, and fertilizer this was tough pill to swallow.

Antler king 1.jpg Antler king 2.jpg

17. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have you got any rain?

Looks like that spot gets 0 hours of full sunlight per day too. That makes it hard to grow anything. Probably needed to get that in before the trees started to leaf out and it would have grown.

18. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    looks like some pretty hard soil also with a small seed like clover you want to at least rake it not just to clear debris but to also to loosen up the soil for a decent seed bed and also like mentioned above rain and sunlight are key for germination

19. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The 0-0-60 is not going to do anything for the growth or greening unless it is potassium deficient. Potassium builds up the walls of the roots, which will help keep it from getting any kind of fungus. As well as help it over winter, if that's your goal then that would be a good plan.

20. NCcrittergitter

Dislikes Received:
    Based off the trail Camera pics it was getting 3+ hours of sunlight a day. We've had some rain, not alot but enough. I agree that I may have been a couple of weeks late in getting it in before the canopy hurt me.

I used a drag harrow to scratch up the ground. We used garden rakes to work the seeds in and I ran over it once with the turf tires on my Ranger EV to ensure seed to soil contact.

In saying all that, Antler King stands behind their product. I emailed customer service and Mike, got back to me within the hour. Mike gave me his opinion on what might have happened and then replaced the Clover mix and added two bags of Honey Hole, for a very discounted price. In all likely hood, i planted to late or wrong place or something, but he was more concerned that I had something to put in for this fall than to place the blame on me. GREAT customer Service. I'll definitely do business with them in the future.