Antler king JOLT users here?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Illinoishunter102, May 20, 2012.

1. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I planted beans on two separate places, 1/4 of an acre all together. Since its my first plot ever i wanted to give the soil and beans as much as i can. Any experience with it?

2. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I obviously have used it. But I will tell you my experience/thoughts.

It is a foliar fertilizer spray and good thing is you dont have to wait for rain. It is 9-17-8. You spray it on plants that are above 3 inchs tall. I even spray it on my small apple trees.

I have one spot with not to good soil that has been getting better over the years. I started off spraying Plot Max and getting my lime /17-17-17 fertilzer worked in. 3rd week in August I planted some Fall/winter/spring mix (rye/peas) and overseeded some Honey Hole(brassicas/turnips). I sprayed it with Jolt every 2 weeks up until the first frost.
    The turnips I had were the size of softballs. I have never grew that big of turnips before and my other brassica plot is always planted by mid July.
    Had some brassicas planted in my garden pretty early last year. I got them up to about 3 feet tall. I hit them with Jolt too.

My clover plot also gets Jolt sprayed on it. The clover leaves are huge compared to a spot that I have not sprayed.

My thoughts are anything you can do to help out the plant get nutrients and thrive the better.

If you (or anyone else) have any other ?s feel free to ask.
    Thanks!
    Jake

3. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the response. I figured you'd mention something about it ;) 2 questions for you, since beans produce their own nitrogen, is JOLT going to help them grow exponentially or will it just promote weed/grass growth (main thing im worried about.) Also, you mentioned apple trees. I have a row of young, 2-3 year old trees that are just beginning to grow apples this first year, if i sprayed the leaves/ branches, would it promote fruit growth? I have never fertilized these trees and i know lots of people who swear but fertilizing anything, even oaks. I just want to produce the most forage and fruits for the deer as possible but i also dont want to promote weed growth in my plots.

4. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The jolt will help the beans. It isnt providing that much nitrogen in the spray.
    Are your beans round up ready?

Fruit trees= I am not sure what and when is the best time to fertilize trees. My trees are right next to the house and near the stuff I was spraying with Jolt so I figure I would try and spray them. I had branchs drooping down as the apples were the size of golf balls on that small tree.

Overall Jolt cant hurt but only help the growing process. It will probably help the weeds grow a little better too, but if your crop is round up ready, you have nothing to worry about :). A faster growing weed will uptake more nutrients faster and die off faster.