Antelope

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Th3_IA, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Th3_IA

Th3_IA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am wanting to hunt antelope with my bow in the near future, hopefully this coming season. I have been searching the net trying to figure out how I am going to pull this off. Not sure if I want to do a guided hunt, or one on my own. Im not even 100% sure what state I want to hunt in. Any experience or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some of it depends on things like how much time you have to take on your hunt. If you have a lot of time, maybe trying to go self guided is a decent option... If your not going to have a lot of time, maybe some type of semi-guided option would be a better fit for you...

If you have the money, personally, l I would look at trying to find a reasonable semi-guided type hunt....

Regardless, you'll want to start figuring out where you want to go fairly soon in case the area/state you want to go distributes their tags via lottery/drawing....

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Th3, my advice is to go where there are a TON of goats... NE Wyoming is the pronghorn capital of the world. There is a significant amount of public land around throughout the whole state... A little research and you'll be well on your way to sticking a nice goat.

4. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends a lot on how much time and money you've got to put into it (time researching public-land spots, etc.) If you wanted to go that route, I'd start first with the state Department of Natural Resources or whatever they call their division... I'd also start looking at the Eastman Bowhunting Journal, as it's devoted to public-land, DIYers...

If you wanted to go fully guided and outfitted, several of us booked through Miller Outfitting last year and it was about as high a first-rate experience as you could imagine. Lots of book bucks, incredible hospitality, great accomadations (including a full walk-in freezer and everything needed to do anything you wanted to prepare your goat to bring home...), and superb home-cooked meals... Yummy! Makes me hungry just thinking about Mary's cooking! :) Their website is www.milleroutfitting.com... sort of a rudimentary site, but Doug's not about technology; what he is about though is providing his hunters with a first-rate experience.

And just to whet your appetite and give you a little more incentive to follow through with heading out there, no matter how or where you end up... :)

[​IMG]

And here's Rob / PA and me showing our goats off together... We were just out of sight of each other and killed within 15 minutes of each other.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  5. hunlee

hunlee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunlee live on north side of river butt not far fr
    Wyoming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    annalope of hunlee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

hunlee