Another "Should I take him out" thread

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 450rdawg, Sep 9, 2009.

1. 450rdawg

450rdawg Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Okay guys, I know this seems to be a common thread lately but I need some advice. The 6 point on the left looks to be 2 1/2. Keep in mind this is Georgia and we don't have many 250lb.+ bucks here. I'm just wondering if I need to take him out of the gene pool because I don't want this to become a trait in the herd. I took one off the property 4 years ago that had a rack almost identical to this one. He was 3 1/2 and weighed in at 185. Help me out here, I don't know what I should do.

CDY_0025.jpg

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    These threads do not make any sense to me :confused:

Shoot ONLY what makes you happy .... I'll take the six out and be the happiest hunter of the 09 season

3. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing personal here, but talk about taking some deer out of the gene pool sounds a little like what a certain war was about. I agree w/PT that if you want him as a trophy, take him, otherwise let him grow.

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What trait are you trying to eliminate? A wide racked 6 point at age 2.5? Goodness, that buck could blow up into a monster next year.

5. 450rdawg

450rdawg Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess sometimes I just get caught up in the "power buck" trait. I've just always thought that if a buck is only 6 points at 2 1/2 he'll never be more than that. I could be wrong but that's why I value your opinions on this type of thing.

I'm always wanting to learn more about these majestic animals. When I get to the point that I think I know everything or my heart doesn't race when I see a deer then it's time for me to quit.

As for the 6. He is a nice buck for what he is. Question is, will he make it until next year? Is my 425 acres enough to hold him until he reaches his full potential? These are all factors that come into consideration when choosing whether or not to take any deer for that matter. I just don't want to get caught up with these thoughts because that's why it's sometimes hard for our herds to really prosper.

6. Nate/FL

Nate/FL Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If a buck is 41/2 and he only has 6 points then yea that will be all he has. But this deer should really put on some inches next year so If you want to kill him kill him but not because of genes. Thats a heck of a buck for 21/2!!

7. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If he stays a 6 or life (which can happen) he'll never score much. That doesn't make him less of a trophy in my eyes. I've seen a 6 pt grazing in my beanfield that I would love to get a chance at. He's huge.....for a 6. ;)

8. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    YES! Deer will normally stay w/i a square mile during their lifespan. During the rut, bucks may travel a larger area, but they still don't wander off too far unless forced out by larger bucks.

9. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is no point in attempting to control genetics of a free ranging herd by shooting 1 buck that may or may not even be that bad.

10. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a beauty of a sixer! If I shot him he'd be going on the wall! I would love to have a shot at him, this year or next!

11. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Agree 100%

12. BOWSPEC

BOWSPEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think he looks good, give that one some time. He would have trophy potential for me in a couple of years imo.

13. 450rdawg

450rdawg Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't want you guys to get me wrong. In reading some of the other posts, I've heard plenty of opinions on culling bucks. I'm not trying to use this as an excuse to shoot the fellow, I'm just trying to do my part. I also see that people have mixed opinions on controling the deer herd and buck quality. I don't know if I'm making a difference or not but at least I'm doing my part. Kind of the same reason we should ALL vote. I mean just look at the last presidential election for example. I voted for John McCain....sorry bad example.

But all joking aside, I just want to do everything that I can to help not only myself but the people like my 2 girls that hunt now and will be hunting when I'm gone. It's a wonderfull sport or, should I call it "way of life" this deer hunting thing.

Blessings to all you guys on this upcoming season. Thanks for all your posts and insight. I love this place.

Josh

14. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd let him go. A couple of years from now he'll be awesome. I'd love to shoot a huge, perfect 6 pointer.

15. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know why you're fretting over it. You probably couldn't kill him anyway. Even if you wanted to.

16. 450rdawg

450rdawg Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah, I know where he lives. JK, you could be right and if I don't take him I'm okay with that. He's not what I'm looking for but if I did have the opportunity and did take him. He would definately have a spot on my wall.

17. huntin'farmer

huntin'farmer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Waal, are ya interested in shootin' 'im? Look bro, it's pretty simple, if you're heart pounds when he's near, he's a "shooter". If not, not!

18. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with...

I think thats what happened here.... I have ONE deer that I know of from last year... what happened to all of the 2.5-3.5 yo from last year??

I've got another load of 1.5-2.5 year old deer, where did all the other ones go?