Another Safety Reminder! Not sorry...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by sycamoretwitch, Sep 27, 2019.

1. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been visiting this forum for many years now - always reading safety reminders. I always wear a harness - all of my trees have permanent safety lines attached! I’m not always the best at attaching at the base all the way up, I tend to get lazy and just attach once I get in the tree... Need to be better about that!

Last night I was hanging and trimming stands. This particular stand is a Big Game Tree stand with a bracket for the quick/easy hang setup. I love these because when I’m hanging solo it’s pretty easy way to go. Last night I wasn’t solo as my hunting buddy was with me and things go interesting quick!

I hung the bracket - then the stand... Attached a ratchet strap to the bottom of the stand - clipped my harness in and started trimming... All good! The stand has a bit of a forward lean so I adjust it and rather than climbing down I stay clipped in and proceed back on to the platform. I tell my buddy, “man that looks like a hell of a lot of torque on that plate!”. Sit down and suddenly the hook moves up and outside of the plate... Buddy watching from ground in slow motion! Between my safety harness and the bottom strap holding the platform just enough I’m able to safely step off the platform onto the climbing sticks! Thank God & my harness.

It could have been a really bad situation obviously. I’ve hung nearly 80-100 stands in my life. Some really sketchy ones over the years - I’ve never had any real scares until last night!

Just a reminders it can happen fast - be safe and happy hunting!

2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you are ok!!! Great reminder for everyone to be safe!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sycamoretwitch likes this.
  3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm glad you had all your safety stuff on twitch. You are right, it can happen fast and there's no time to react. Glad you're ok.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

4. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good reminder for all of us...glad you are ok!

5. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never hurts to bring up safety concerns. We all get complacent from time to time, and it just comes to show, if anything can happen it will happen.

I read an article a while back that if you hunt out of tree stands of some sort, odds have it that you'll have a 25% chance of getting hurt at some point in your hunting career. Always play it safe!