Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Almost 9 months since I drank alcohol and I took a complete physical.

My cholesterol was still not perfect but my overall cholesterol and triglyceride levels were my best in over 7 years. Total cholesterol averaged almost 50 pts higher for the 5 years preceeding this one.

cantexian, pastorjim08 and wl704 like this.
  2. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    image.jpg Not sure how healthy these are but they sure taste good.

virginiashadow likes this.
  3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Stay downwind

cantexian and ash d like this.
  4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been trying to get ...better on track since holidays....
    Well the whole fasting thing with hubby in the house is dang near impossible. When I leave the house early enough I'm good but his is a skinny browser who expects me to feed. My daily walks are hit and miss thanks to extremes temp/ wind combos. It was -2 this morning. High 20 today with 15 mph winds. It just cuts through me with 3 layers on.
    Food still low carb and trying to get him more low carb. I've sliced his bread intake by at least 2/3. When I don't make egg white bread or me to flat bread I have carb smart tortilla on hand that he loves.
    So still two mixing bowls of salad a day with the bit leaner meats. Lots of eggs some cheese.
    I made the best bone broth from the holiday ham bones and Turkey bones simmered together with spices celery ends, onion , cabbage and carrots for taste. OMG!It turned out so GOOD!
    So once these winds calm later this week. I'll be out walking and working the woods again.

5. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hang in there!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I am Thanks!
    I've decided to just keep working him.into low carb while trying to get his cholesterol down as well.
    New recipes like today I made the new "viral" keto noodles...This stuff never tastes or rather have the textures that are conveyed on line but wow I now will be able to have 1gram spaghetti that is very, very close to the real thing.
    He is an icream and cookie nut...So I'm working on switching him over to Healthier versions of those as well. Looking at one of those ninja creamies. Way expensive but off set store purchase and healthy ingredients to home made...it would pay for it's self in a year if I find one on sale..
    My big problems were fruit, and admitted pastas. His are breads and sugar/sweet deserts.
    It's fascinating to watch the ingenuity of people desperate to be able to get back the snacks they miss.

7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Holy Mollie!!!!!!!Those new keto noodles I made are GREAT and less than 1 carb per big serving. BETTER THAN PASTA. Filling because it's just protein if your low carb it is worth a try...special items needed calcium lactate and sodium alginate and a (semi soft) condiment squeeze bottle. Other than that xynthum gum, salt, 2eggs and non chlorine water for blending and bath you make noodles in.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    virginiashadow and pastorjim08 like this.
  8. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Needs Genny Cream ale.

Been getting after it, same bro workouts but starting to run more. No BJJ last week and none this week. Covid needs to chill a little. I had physical last week and have blood work ordered.

9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

By the time the Genesee River makes it to Rochester, it's nothing I want to drink from...

oldnotdead likes this.
  10. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    hahahahah I hear you!

Their bourbon barrel ale is pretty tasty and I'm not much of a beer drinker.

11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I lived on that river and right next to a chemical plant that was so toxic it worked out of individual buildings for the blow ups and had it's own fire dept. Volunteers not allowed in. A building would blow and literally shake you out of bed. I watched them burying 55 gal drums along the river bank when I would walk the abandoned rail tracs. Turned that in years later when I moved back as an adult. They now have put up fencing with razor wire across the top...Hhhmmmm

12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    BTW back then that was Lucidol not sure what plant it is now.

13. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys this is the first time since this journey started I've been seriously depressed. I just do not handle the cold with wind. I also treked 2000ft with A.J. in the deep snow around the garden. It felt like I jogged 3 miles. I hate being trapped inside and there is no end to this in sight. All this said:
    Today out came the comfort food..I made a steak for lunch and French onion soup is simmering on the stove. I made my own mozzarella sticks using almond flour and ground red hot pork rinds with sauce. Then my first drink ...a SF red bull.& Vodka. The soup will have toasted egg white bread and topped with melted mozzarella.
    My first melt down and hopefully the last this year....If only the wind would stop....

14. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    No worries OND. Everyone has off days and your right this is a tough time of year. The important thing is to get back up and get back into the fight. Don't look back, envision where you want to be and how you want to feel this spring. Take it one day at a time.

15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, Looking out the window and it's snowing hard again. I have to say that is a good thing. It has warmed up enough to snow, a whopping 22 degrees. The winds are down so I'll be bundling up and taking A. J. for a run.

I have to say re-reading that above post....I stayed pretty keto save the onion soup. The egg white bread is pretty clean and VERY versatile. Even hubby had a slice with his scrambled eggs this morning. Also really makes you full. In the past a depressing day would have me hitting hubbys cookies or drinking a few cranberry juice and vodkas. I'd have made a huge pan of Mac and cheese or a pot of 5 bean chili enough to last a week of late day snacking, with garlic toast. Regular ice cream. ,with a piece of Apple pie. Gained 10 pounds then spent the spring losing it.1...a
    I've decided today to switch things up starting next month and go carnivore for a while. I will spend the next week researching it. I'll also work myself back to one meal a day. With temps hopefully going back up to relative normal cold I'll be back out daily again. I'm also going back to the 10# at a time weight goals. I'm still lower than my last Dr. visit so I'm only mentally at a deficit. I was doing a yoo yoo 5# up 5# down. Then stalled at the weight I was at the Dr Visit 6 mos. Ago. Which was the same as the recent one. If it works I'll extend past a month, then I'll do the week on week off schedule Carnivore/ keto

16. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I put a few lbs back on the last 3 weeks. Getting hammered at work and when I dont sleep well I eat like crap. Weirdest thing.

But I'm back on track the past week eating wise and my workouts and energy are almost back to normal. I need to get down to 220.

17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I too had gotten out of the exercise v routine. Snow and ice was a convenient excuse...until tonight. I may have torn (not all the way through) a calf muscle playing pickleball. A handful of advil with an advil pm and let's see how it goes...

18. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got in a 60 minute hike on the Alpine Runner at a 20% incline yesterday.

Today:
    Round 1: Power Cleans-3 reps @125lbs, 5 pull ups, 5 push ups for 5 rounds
    Round 2: Incline DB Chest Press 8 reps @ 55lbs, DB Rows 12 reps @ 55lbs, Rope Face Pulls 12 reps @ 50lbs, Ab Rotations 12 reps per side @ 50lbs, 1 minute of Jump Rope for 3 rounds

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Leg isn't 100%, but ~24 hrs rest and it seems less serious. Will try to give it the 6-7 mile hike tomorrow morning...

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  20. mfortune042

mfortune042 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great