Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well, time for Fatty McGee to make a significant life change again, this time for good. I'm overweight, 5'-7" 250 pounds. My body has been through hell for being 44. I've started my walking routine, up to 2 1/2 miles per day. I tried stretching it to 3 1/2 miles last Thursday and almost passed out on the way back. I can't go extreme and push myself too hard because my body/heart can't handle it. Slow and steady for me. I'm back to eating healthy as well, I just need to control my portion size.

Last hunting season I was walking 5 miles per hunt. I want to get back to having that ability and drop a significant amount of weight. I have hypoglycemia as well, so I have to eat every few hours to keep my blood sugar level steady. I've noticed the hypoglycemia has been very sensitive in the past few years, I'm assuming that is due to the weight gain.

Westfinger likes this.
  2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You got this all day, Joe! Just remember; it didn't come overnight and it won't go away overnight. Slow and steady wins the race! Reach out to any of us who post in this thread regularly. There's usually alot of good ideas here. Lots of encouragement too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Every once in a while a few days of rest will really do you some good. I started the year off by working out something like 50 days straight, and was constantly sore. I wasn't giving myself enough time to heal and recover in between workouts. I've noticed some of my biggest jumps after days where I just take it easy and get the proper amount of sleep.

Westfinger, oldnotdead and cantexian like this.
  4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A break every so often is always a good thing. I probably should not have added jump rope and sprinting back into my workouts during the same week and definitely not on the same day in the first week.

5. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Jim!!

6. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds like you and I are built similar. I was weighing in at 260 when I was in high school. I manage a university fitness center and am a personal trainer. Feel free to hit me up for help.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Swamp Stalker likes this.
  7. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I hiked another 3 miles at 20% with the 35lb pack in 60 minutes today. I think it may be about time to replace my workout pack. The straps on it are losing the cushioning and leaving some pretty bad redlines on my skin.

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to be out of town over Memorial Day weekend (4 days hanging w/the family and fishing in the Michigan UP). I'm going to try and go on a couple of runs and do some weighted hikes as well. Need to keep up the work even when I'm out of town!

This morning's workout felt good, but didn't spike the HR like usual. I did a 20 minute HIIT warmup on the elliptical, followed by a full leg circuit and then some core work. I was just shy of 1,000 calories in my usual 90 minutes. Certainly beats sleeping in, though.

I typically stick with 4 sets of 6-10 reps of each movement depending on how much weight I'm doing.
    - Incline leg press
    - Leg/hamstring curls
    - Weighted box step-ups
    - Farmers carry (45 lb plate in each hand). 2 laps around the 1/8th mile track
    - Deadlifts
    - Calf extensions
    - Single leg press

Core workout
    - Weighted back extensions
    - Leg lifts
    - Cable crunches
    - Planks (3 x 1 min each)

Westfinger, MnHunterr and pastorjim08 like this.
  9. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Inspired my lazy ass to get out and do some actual physical activity today. I realized when I push mowed our yard with the bagger on it 2 weeks ago and I was out of breath I better start cardio again (I despise cardio).

I work from home and don't really get monitored when I'm at my computer or not. When we used to be in the office a group of us would go on a 3/4 mile walk at 10am and 2pm every day. I'm going to start that up again, but 2 miles each time with some jogging incorporated. I went out twice today and ran maybe a mile and power walked the other 3. Perfect little 2 mile loop through a park in my neighborhood.

10. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, I appreciate it and will most likely be reaching out to you at some point! Thanks!

cantexian likes this.
  11. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

12. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good to see you guys getting after it!

Pretty slow week of training for me. Mostly working legs, core and limited upper body lifts that don't aggravate my shoulder. Chill training rolls at BJJ a couple times this week. Started back on the running a little to maintain my endurance. Did 5 miles this morning, first run since the half and it felt easy.

I had a steroid injection in my shoulder on Wednesday. Trying to schedule an MRI. Ortho thinks I have cuff tear.

Stay after it!

13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I ate like poop this week but stuck with the workouts pretty good. Went pretty hard Mon-Tues-Weds, took yesterday off, then really pushed it this morning. 10 min Tabata warm up on elliptical, 1-hour lift (back/shoulders) then 30 min Tabata intervals on the stairs. I'm pretty sure I hit my PB in 30 minutes on the stair machine. 3.5 miles, 170 floors, averaged 91 steps/minute. HR was touching that red zone quite a bit as I was doing double intervals - instead of 20 on/10 off I was doing 40 on/20 off with a few 1-minute sprints in there.

If any of you guys hit the stair bastard I've come up with a program that really works well for me with the Tabata intervals. Instead of messing with the speed of the machine, I simply walk freehanded for the sprint interval. The difference of going up the stairs without putting any weight on the side supports of the machine is pretty significant. Your heart and calves will feel it pretty quickly.

Westfinger, cantexian and pastorjim08 like this.
  14. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Found out the hard way...even being much lighter...jogging is still a no no. Rt knee 2/3 meniscus removed. Left knee , a total ACL tear they wouldn't do surgery on because they say I need two new knees...That was 3 years ago.
    Dang 1 /4 mile of my daily 2 1/2 mile walk...feels like I took a ballpein (sp?) Hammer to both knees.

15. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Deadlifts today: 145/5, 195/5, 235/3, 285/3, 285/3, 325/3, 325/3 with 30 second planks after each set

Followed Up by five rounds of 5 Weighted Pull Ups @20lbs and 5 Push Ups

Then an upper body DB circuit for chest, back, and shoulders

Four Day break until next Wednesday

16. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Today I pulled the cord and walked the block. Which is hillier than I remember!!It goes up hill from our drive then levels out somewhat until it climbs again before dropping down into a " holler". I think I said that right? The road winds down through that before turning and going up hill quite a ways. Then downhill turning level a while before hitting our road. This is where I broke out in a killer sweat. Our killer hill 1/2 mile engine smoking incline. Not sure of mileage at the least 4+miles. It took a little over an hour with A.J. having to mark every tall clump of grass and a couple of mail box poles I had to drag him off...lol

17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just wrapped a 70mile 3.5 day hike of the Appalachian Trail. The reward, a big burger, fries and a beer, with two of my boys.

18. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome, I've watched bunch of videos ppl hiking that trail and wanna do it some day. Not whole thing but like what you did.

I laid off of working out for awhile and for about the past month have gotten back into the gym. I'm the type of person that needs a somewhat strict schedule to go. And when started this new job ot was kinda all over. But now it's same hours and same days every week so I can have a routine. Oddly enough when started back up I was about 20 pounds lighter and obviously alot weaker ha. Think these last 6 months of working nights are behind the weight loss as I don't hardly eat much anymore. Once at work and maybe once at home. Idk what kind of calorie intake would need to even be normal but I'm probably anywere from 1500 to 2k a day most times at 6'2 and 235 as of now.

Been goin slow building back up and getting muscles used to doin certain things again but I can say for sure that I've been feeling alot better and some or the little aches and pains were having aren't there now. For most of time off my shoulder and knee would bother me every now and then but harldy at all now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Westfinger and oldnotdead like this.
  19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fwiw -
    We've been section hiking across the sections along NC/TN border. We started with shorter segments but we usually push pretty hard.

Food is generally one of the biggest challenges. One of my sons had his fitbit on and recorded calories burned...for the last few days which were roughly 3-20 mile days and 10 on the last. Just don't feel like eating that much... Screensho.jpeg

Swamp Stalker and Westfinger like this.
  20. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    A.J. and I walked the block on the other side of us this a.m. 3+ miles not as hilly. The road across from our is a straight line down. Our road's not getting any easier I had to drag AJ part way up it! He kept stepping in front of me and sitting with pleading eyes looking up at me...Lol I gave him a break and stepped off on to our land and angled the rest of the way up...A bit longer but he was much happier.

Westfinger likes this.