Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I really don't feel like going to the gym this morning. I'M GOING ANYWAY! Just trying to convince myself.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    when I bought P90x like 12 years ago, their plyo workouts nearly killed me. Good of shape as I eventually got, I just could not get through those without modifying them.

cantexian and Westfinger like this.
  3. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    P90x and insanity are what I did back in 2009 to lose 45lbs. The ploy metrics workout was a killer. Good times. Definitely a good workout.

Switched things up a little with my current program. I’ve been doing some fasted cardio in the morning. Mostly running but this morning I rode the bike for an hour before work.
    afternoons I have been weight training but have been running a couple afternoons a week too. Doing 3-4 miles during the week and doing a longer run on the weekend. I have a ten mile race in April and no plans to run farther than that.

keep up the great work guys and gals!

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah those are rough. I put my youngest through a sprint workout today and can still do a bunch of different drills as an old man...hahaha. Not easy though but still able to do it.

cantexian and Westfinger like this.
  5. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Nice and steady on my workouts. Nothing earth shattering, just steady. Ran maybe a mile or so this morning in the rain. Now drinking a dark beer for recovery. :)

Westfinger likes this.
  6. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Sitting in Naples, FL watching some guys cut grass this morning. That's going to be the extent of my workout today.

7. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Any of you guys track and field fans? I am an old school fan and have been watching some recent track and field videos. There are world records falling like crazy. Once the summer kicks off, track and field is going to be on fire.

Westfinger likes this.
  8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Round 1 today: 30 second plank, 5 weighted pull ups, 5 pushups; x 5 rounds

Round 2: Rope Face Pulls x 12, Rope Rotations x 12/side, Standing Cable High Rows x 12/side, DB Chest Press x 8, DB Curls x 8; x 4 rounds

Unweighted incline walk for 20 minutes 3.5 mph @ 10% incline.

9. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Well, after a week in Florida and one day to get over the jet lag, I'm back at the gym today. Five mile run, ten miles on the bike, and many calethstetics. It's killin me today!

Westfinger likes this.
  10. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I completely forgot to post much of last week. Yesterday was an upper body lift and easy walk. My older boys had baseball try outs last night so with walking around the ball fields on top of the workout, 17872 steps and 6.1 miles yesterday. Only about 4000 and 1.5 miles of that can be attributed to the actual workout.

I hit the Alpine Runner today for an hour with a 30lb pack, covered 2.1 miles starting at a 20% incline and gradually working up to a 25% incline.

11. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Good to see you guys staying after it. I've been spinning my wheels with injuries lately. Knee was getting angry about the extra mileage I have been running and then I bruised my ribs. I'm limited to a hand full of exercises I can do but the pain is getting better.
    Hopefully I can get the knee settled down as I have about a month before the run. Definitely not going to push it with summer coming up I would rather be healthy then put another finisher medal in a drawer.
    I expect the ribs to keep me from rolling hard for another month. Time will tell.

Stay after it!

pastorjim08 and virginiashadow like this.
  12. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Upper body lift and 30 minute unweighted incline walk on the treadmill on Monday. 60 minutes with a 30lb pack at 20% incline yesterday. Covered 2.3 miles doing this.

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  13. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Been trying to add some strength. Mixed in basic stuff like squats, deadlifts, and bench press about 2 months ago. As a result I've put on 5 lbs. Base line strength is feeling better. Time to start ramping up my running and conditioning a bit.

Westfinger, cantexian and pastorjim08 like this.
  14. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Wednesday: 25 pull ups, 25 push ups followed by 30 minutes of elliptical
    Thursday: 45 minutes elliptical
    Friday: Trap Bar Deadlifts 145 x 4, 195 x4, 235 x 4, 255 x 4, 285 x 4, 305 x 4, 315 x 4, 315 x 4. I did 5 push ups after each deadlift set
    Weighted Pull Ups 5 reps followed by 10 lunges per leg while holding a 30lb KB-five rounds of this

15. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Feeling a little better. Ran 4 miles yesterday with no knee pain, then went for a 20 mile bike ride with the wifey. Ribs are getting better, slow rolled a bit yesterday felt good.
    Stay after it.

cantexian likes this.
  16. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    I know this may sound a bit ridiculous, but I was a little concerned when I stepped on the scale this morning and I had gained 3.5lbs. Now I know that doesn't sound like much, and I keep my weight 5lb below my goal so I have a little wiggle room. But I was kind of perplexed about it. I never vary from my calorie count so that's why I am puzzled by it. My workouts have been more frequent since I retired again and have actually increased in duration. I have also added weight training so maybe I'm adding muscle IDK. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it though. Anyone have any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

17. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Don't stress about it. The human body can fluctuate 8-12 pounds in a 24 hour period. It is a combination of hydration, food consumption, and when the last bowel movement occurred. Inadequate fiber intake from eating highly processed foods can influence this. Another thing that can highly vary it is a high sodium intake. If you ate saltier, processed foods or had an excessively high alcohol consumption yesterday, you will retain extra water for up to 48 hours depending on your bladder schedule. Have some extra fiber today and drink plenty of water. You probably be back to normal tomorrow.

There have been times when I have woken up 15lbs heavier in the morning than the day before. This typically happens when the day before was either Thanksgiving, Christmas, the Super Bowl, or my birthday.

virginiashadow and Westfinger like this.
  18. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice. I should have explained that this change in weight was from the last time I weighed which was about 6 weeks ago. I never weigh more often than every 6-8 weeks cause I don't want to become obsessed with the scale. Had that been overnight I would have probably freaked out.

virginiashadow and cantexian like this.
  19. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    With a really clean diet and proper training, 3.5 lbs in 6 -8 weeks is reasonable for muscle gain. Here is the simple test: does the waist on your pants feel tighter, about the same, or more loose? If it is one of the last two options then you probably had healthy muscle gain.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    virginiashadow and pastorjim08 like this.
  20. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    This guy has some cool videos. Very interesting. I need to regain my ankle mobility and knee mobility.

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.