Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No thanks I drink the high end stuff.

2. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Obviously:beer::lol:

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I ate like crap the last 2.5 months of the year and my belt was getting a little higher than usual. And somehow my wife managed to shrink a few of my shirts in the dryer. That's what I told myself anyways. :lol:

So a couple of friends and I decided to have another weight loss competition. I officially started on 1/4, weighing in at 223. The contest ends on 5/1.

One of the guys in the competition had a goal to get 100 workouts in over that 120 day span, so I jumped on that train. Today is Day 29 and I've managed to work out every day so far. I'm generally doing 3 days in the gym on a push-pull-legs split, and 4 days at home on the bike doing some sort of spin class. I'm doing 45-75 minute classes now, where I started at 30 minutes in early January. They're a killer! But I've come to enjoy it.

The only change I made in my diet was to cut out the vast majority of carbs. No more bread, sweets, pasta, etc. I still get some carbs in my coffee creamer and in my post-workout shake, but that's about it. I'm sticking to a keto-ish diet - lots of eggs, cheese, meat, and veggies. I'm not counting calories or doing anything special outside of cutting carbs and an overall reduction in the amount of food I'm eating.

This morning I was down to 211 lbs. I'm shooting for under 190 lbs by May 1. If I can stick to 1.5-2 lbs a week I will make it.

One thing I love about going on a low-carb diet is the fact that my heartburn completely disappears. I've also noticed each time I get back on a no-carb diet my body adjusts a lot quicker without as many cravings and side effects. The first time I ever did it I was dying for a solid week, maybe more. I felt like I was hungry all the time. Now, I am able to get back into the groove of things with little to no cravings or issues.

4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on getting started and your weight loss so far. It sounds as if you have already exchanged your old habits for better ones and that's most of the battle. Just remember, there will be times that you screw up and have something you shouldn't have and that's ok. My mantra on that is don't let a slip become a fall. Get right back on track at the next meal. That sounds like a pretty ambitious exercise regiment but it will definitely pay off in the end. Best of luck to you and keep us informed of your progress........good or bad!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Westfinger likes this.
  5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Upper Body Lift today: 30 second plank, 5 pull ups w/ 10lb KB, 5 push ups x 5 rounds. Followed that up with a KB Bottoms Up Should Press and Shoulder Band Circuit and Barbell Curls. Then did an unweighted 30 minute incline for 300 calories in 30 minutes.

6. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Today marks 6 years since I embarked on my current fitness regiment. At that time I had just turned 60 years old and weighed 275lbs. When I enrolled in the gym where I currently go, they did an evaluation on me. I could not do even one sit-up and only about 10 pushups. My BP was sky high, even on medication, and I had no stamina or energy. I set a goal for myself to lose 75lbs to be at 200lbs even. I also agreed to work out 5 days a week for at least an hour. I personally set for myself a calorie goal of 1500 per day. I started out and after the first couple of weeks I didn't think I was going to be able to walk a few times after my workouts. But I began to grow stronger and my energy and stamina went through the roof. By Sept. I had met my goal of 75lbs lost and decided I could stand another 15lbs on top of that. By December I hit the 185 mark and thought I was finished. I continued my exercise routine and calorie counting and in the next year lost another 20lbs to put myself at a final weight of 165 for a total of 110lbs lost! My BP is now normal and my energy level and stamina are off da charts. I can now do 300 sit-ups in one go around, about 100 pushups, run 5 miles, bike 10 miles, and a whole host of other exercises. And all this at age 66. Am I bragging? Maybe a little. But what I really am doing is testifying! Testifying to what good nutrition and regular exercise can do for you. It is absolutely phenomenal! Apart from deciding to become a Christ follower and asking my wife to marry me 45 years ago, it is the best decision I have ever made. It has completely changed my life for the better in ways I could never imagine. If you are reading this and you are considering starting something similar, don't just think about it, do It! You will never regret it!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    dnoodles, Holt, Westfinger and 5 others like this.
  7. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    That is awesome!

pastorjim08 and oldnotdead like this.
  8. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday I did the Alpine Runner hike with a 20lb pack. Started at 22.5% incline and bumped by 2.5% every 15 minutes. Finished out the last 15 minutes of the hour at 30%. Covered 2 miles.

Today I did sprints on the treadmill 10% incline the whole time 15 seconds sprint with 45 second rest. Sprints 1-4 at 10 mph. Sprints 5-7 at 10.5 mph, 8-10 at 11 mph. Followed that up with five rounds of 30 second plank, 5 pull ups, 5 push ups. I started adding a 10 lb KB to the pull ups last week.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Seriously one of the best things I've read in a long time. Congrats!! That's amazing.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  10. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are a inspiration sir

pastorjim08 likes this.
  11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This makes me happy!

wl704 and pastorjim08 like this.
  12. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great story Jim, the older I get the more inspirational it becomes. This stuff isn’t easy and it gets harder everyday. The little voice in your head that tells you to go home and take it easy never goes away. The discipline and dedication required to ignore that voice and press on is inspiring. Much respect!

I had a long call day yesterday so I skipped my normal program and did 100 pull ups, 100 reps on bench, 100 sit ups and ran three miles.
    Stay after it!

13. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Oh believe me, I hear that voice on a regular basis. And sometimes I give in to it. But this is what I found and what drives me to go on. The days I've not gone, I regret it. I also am in a better mental state when I go. I try to keep in mind how much better I will feel at the end of the day, both mentally and physically. I also know that when I haven't been as regular at the gym, like during hunting season, I don't have the same energy. I never have a problem with my weight because I still count calories every day. But the exercise adds another dimension to my overall fitness that is invaluable.

Westfinger likes this.
  14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Did the 2 mile insomnia run this morning. Almost 7 years working this midnight schedule has me all whacked out. As I was running I started thinking about the 2 acl reconstructions I had 27 and 28 yrs ago. Docs at that time thought they'd hold up for 15 yrs. Well I've almost doubled that by keeping my legs strong. Praying I can get another 15 yrs out of them.

Good work Justin!

Westfinger, Justin and pastorjim08 like this.
  15. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rainy day. Did weights, intermixed with some cardio and core...

May have over done the arms & shoulders, I learned when I went to do plank rows and my supporting arm collapsed on the first rep oopsie.

Go hard or go home!

16. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Three hours of shoveling snow yesterday. I don’t get to do that workout in Arkansas very often.

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  17. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    I had two hours of that yesterday, myself. Probably burned as many calories as I would've in the gym.

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

Westfinger and cantexian like this.
  18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I did my push workout yesterday morning at the gym. Then I made my wife snow blow the driveway while I was at work. :chewy:

Slept in this morning so I've got a date with the spin bike tonight. Today will be Day 44 of some sort of workout.

19. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    is part of your keto-ish diet cutting out tomatoes/tomato-based sauces?
    I have found that I almost completely eliminate heartburn and also a lot of joint swelling by eliminating tomatoes and grapes (meaning wine.) They are part of the 'nightshade' group of fruits.

I find that it also almost completely eliminates my snoring unless I am already really (like 15-20lbs) overweight.

20. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Did plyos with my youngest today. Im already sore. Fireball and coke is the remedy.