Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Weighed in at 194 this morning. Goal was to get to 200 but my lifts have stalled so I think I'm going to cut down to like 180 and try again. Plus my pants don't fit anymore.

Westfinger and virginiashadow like this.
  2. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a good plan, good luck.

3. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Finally back to the gym myself this week. Came out of my Idaho trip in decent shape and sitting in a deer stand for 3 months and then the holidays changed that.

August and the mountains will be here before I know it.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

trial153 likes this.
  4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed the sedately nature of Whitetail hunting didn’t do me any favors

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Figured I'd add a small update here. As some of you know I did a huge weight loss few years back losing near 75lbs in about 12-15 months. Slowly over the last 24 months I had chewed my way back up about 30lbs of that. So hence the go at Keto as shared here.

I've not focused on working out at all, I'll do some light bench/curls and total gym stuff maybe once or twice a week but nothing major as I wanted to get used to the diet first. I do play solid Bball on Sundays for 3 hours, and volleyball on Tuesdays but again no intense working out.

I've averaged about .7 lbs loss a week so far...and I've noticed now that intermittent fasting for me at least has been excellent and I have noticed zero issues with alertness, energy levels or anything.

One bit of caution though, went to do habitat work (chainsaw and tops hauling for loggers) after leaving the office one day....I could hardly do half of the normal stuff, due to the fasting I'd done. I've learned on keto high fat intake and water before exertion is HUGE....otherwise you will hit a wall for sure.

I'm still not 100% on whether this will be a lifestyle for years to come, but I committed to 6 months of it from the start and now that I'm hitting my stride I'm going to start incorporating more intentional weight lifting and some high intense cardio bursts at night into it.

virginiashadow likes this.
  6. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a plan. I would bonk on my workouts when I was doing IF from time to time. Any idea what your current macros are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    As far as percentages? Goal is never more than 5% net carbs a day (worst days have never been above 10%)...I shoot for 17%-25% protein and remainder in fats/oils to remain in ketosis.

I've slowly progressed to hit the higher end of protein as I incorporate workouts more and more.

8. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds brutal, any idea on your total calories?

9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, depending on day and output I typically fall within the 1800-2100 range. As I work out I'll focus more on attempting to hang out at the 2K figure more so.

10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Also it truly hasn't been as brutal as I originally figured and I'm still very new to the vast array of recipes and things to stay within goals. Shoot just the other night I made something best described as a Cauliflower Casserole loaded with gouda cheese, bacon and jalapenos....stuff was KILLER!

11. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Wow yeah that’s not many calories.
    That’s the one good thing about eating a restricted diet. It forces you to find cool new things to eat.

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Not extremely restrictive as I sadly have a rather sedimentary job at a desk...burn next to zero during my normal work days.

13. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I hear you. I mean restricted not only referring to calories but your macro breakdown being on a keto diet. I know the calories are estimated but its not many. I don't go lower than 2200 if I can help it, I'm fairly active away from work though.

14. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m going to try to commit to at least clean eating and running. I’ve did the Keto diet for about 3 months last year but was just draaaaaaiiined. I was 205-210 in 2014 and shattered my ankle. Quit racing motocross and my job is sedentary so here so am at 240 and not digging it. Time to make a change

Westfinger likes this.
  15. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Scale is moving in the right direction. Still a solid 10lbs from summer conditioning levels. Dropping my calories to 2200 for the next couple weeks in advance of a ski vacation. I will still keep a couple higher calories days (2400, 2600) in the mix. Slow and steady wins the race.

16. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    After trying to gain weight for the past 10 months I'm finding it a little difficult now trying to lose 10-12 pounds. It was kinda nice eating whatever I wanted.

17. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    It was always way more fun to "bulk" than "cut". Eat whatever, big lifts, PR's etc. Those days are long gone for me. You'll adjust, only way to tell what you accomplished is to strip away the fat and see whats left.

18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Curious what you mean by drained? Only times I've felt lethargic were directly following too many carbs ate (or sugar)...so long as I stay in ketosis my energy has never dropped and I'd even say I'm beginning to feel more.

19. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    During a run, about a mile in to it, I’d just peter out. Normally I can drop it down and cruise, but I’d ease up on my pace and still feel like I had concrete blocks on my feet. I was eating 1650 calories, keeping carbs 20g or below, and more fat than protein.

20. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    I was also running first thing in the morning before eating so that could have something to do with it. If I keep my carbs at around 50g, I feel a lot better when I run.