Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The anti inflammatory isn't difficult for us. All our favorites. Broccolli, celery, parsley,bok choy, pineapple and blue berries ect ect. I grow a lot of this, 12 blue berry bushes. Freezers are full of blue berries and I have a steam juicer that makes juicing easy. I have wild choke cherry, planted aronia, mulberry, gogi, kiwi, and grape juice. We love greens and eat lots. Salmon and cod are the main fish we eat, though I like shrimp too.

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man meeting those two months goals I set is going to be tough. But Im gonna keep at it. These body weight squats burn like living hell.

Westfinger likes this.
  3. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wondered how that was going. Not sure what I dislike more the thought of repping the baby rattles for sets of ten or those body weight squats.

virginiashadow likes this.
  4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been posting much about my workouts lately but I will say that today, the workout reminded me that I'm not a young man anymore. Legs on fireya!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

virginiashadow and Westfinger like this.
  5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Ok I'm sore,, also took mile + hike on hill, snow and COLD!

virginiashadow and Westfinger like this.
  6. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Been grinding the leg workouts. Mixed in a hundred pushups and some leaning rests tonight between sets of sprints, lunges, and bodyweight squats. Within 30 mins of the workout my legs are already aching bad. This isnt gonna feel good in the morning. Ha

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  7. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Screenshot_20200108-073118.jpeg

GregH likes this.
  8. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    That is one thing I miss at the gym, the leg/hip "machine". The suspension gym and bands are good substitutes

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  9. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Add a fish oil supplement or just start eating more oily fish like salmon. Cook with olive oil, coconut oil or avocado oil instead of vegetable oil. Switch out the beer for a glass of red wine a couple of times per week.

virginiashadow and oldnotdead like this.
  10. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    A lifting belt is a crutch for people that do not train stability in the core enough. Add more planks, cable rotation exercise and anti-rotation exercises like Pallof Presses. If your training program is structured well, a lifting belt is unnecessary. I can deadlift 405lbs without a belt at a bodyweight of 170.

11. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I wrote my training program for the first part of 2020 this morning. I am fighting a cold I picked up over Christmas so I am planning on starting next Monday. It is a four week cycle. I will do it twice for 8 hard weeks and take a break/deload week in the ninth week then start the cycle over again.

2020 Week One.JPG
    2020 Week Two.JPG
    2020 Week Three.JPG
    2020 Week Four.JPG

Attached Files:

12. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    How do you like the weighted vest? What are you training for?

13. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I still haven't really been convinced enough by anyone to get one. Like said I never had used one, thought process was it'd be more of a training tool reminding me to keep core tight. Haven't really had problem necessarily but sometimes when do squats or deadlifts for reps don't "reset" I guess the best. But might do same thing with one so who knows. Probably just keep doin what I'm doin.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

14. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I love training with a weighted vest or pack. As for what am I training for; life, hauling heavy packs of meat, and not becoming a decrepit old man that can't get back up if he falls down. Also, making sure my wife keeps looking at me with that hungry look in her eye. :chewy:

15. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back from gym. Following program was supposed to take off this week on deadlifts and do upper back work. Ended up doin deficit dl's tho. First time ever tried them so kept in light, but man they're a whole other thing ha. Took few sets before got the hang of them but ended up doin 4x4 at 225, then 2x2 at 255, 2x2 at 275, and finished with 1x8 back down to 225. Wasn't bad but like said just kinda different. Used a 6 or 8 inch platform to stand on so wasn't real extreme.

Afterwards did some upper back and few bi and tri stuff. Decent workout. Gonna try and do some cardio tomorrow or Sunday.

16. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Amen brother!

Missed a couple gym days due to illness but I will be back at it today if work will leave me alone long enough.

17. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Just made it back from gym. Heavy lift today was squats, working sets were 240, 275, and 300. Didn't go to bad ended up doin 2 sets at 300 instead of just one like been doin. Next week will add 10 pounds. Think only have few more weeks in the program been doin and then will be testing max for sqauts and deads. Don't really have set weights gonna try so will most likely he goin off what it feels like. Really didn't know what actually max was before started but set everything off 300 squat and 400 dead.

Afterwards did some clean and press, leg press, leg curls, and leg extensions. Wanted to do few more exercises but been feeling like crap for last day or so so was kinda zapped after all that. Hoping to kick this cold and be back at it little better in next couple days.

18. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Ran three miles in 23:14 then finished out an hour of cardio hiking with a 35lb pack. I wanted to run 5 miles but I don't quite have my full breath back after the three week layoff from Christmas travels and being sick. Hopefully get the full 5 miles in next week.

Westfinger and virginiashadow like this.
  19. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Been keeping at it but something messes up the muscles in my back. Just very sore all over. Walked about 7 to 8 miles over the last two days and did some pushups. Two months of workouts have me a little wore out. I am gonna lay off til Saturday with just stretching, contrast baths, and adding in some fish oil supplements you all recommended.

cantexian and Westfinger like this.
  20. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    workout.JPG

cantexian and Sota like this.