Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I get that, I always wipe everything down and actually bandage up before. But I'm not gonna bring change of clothes ha. I usually wear knee sock and pants whenever deadlift for that reason. Funny thing is it all started cause I banged my shin off truck hitch at work and now won't heal ha. And it really didn't come off as that being a concern. But I could have taken the whole conversation wrong seeing as wasn't really paying attention and was focused on what I was doin.

Yea I watch that channel some, got some good info. Idk if I've seen that video tho. I don't think anyone can be a expert, I'm definitely not ha, so I watch alot of videos on form and stuff for certain lifts. It's always interesting seeing different people's way of doin same lift.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Westfinger likes this.
  2. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right on, I hear ya.

He has a lot of content and from what I’ve seen it seems pretty good and evidence based.

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Next part of my overall health plan is to start researching what diets are best to control inflammation. It is starting to become an issue for me and the pain levels that I deal with daily. I want to eliminate ad much of that pain naturally as I can.

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ymmv, but keto, paleo or maybe whole 30, would be my bets.

Basically dairy, sugar and a lot of high GI carbs (yeah that means beer, but not necessarily all liquors) usually are culprits.

Westfinger and virginiashadow like this.
  5. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I have noticed that when I cut out dairy and bread that my body feels much better.

Westfinger, wl704 and dnoodles like this.
  6. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Hit gym today and did squats and other lower body work. Leg press, leg curls, leg extensions, and romanian deadlifts. Was prettt decent workout besides right off the bat tweaked my upper back. Came in and stretched like usual and went to rack to start squat workout. The weights were all jacked up and scattered around between the rack and the bench. So as I was moving stuff around I bent over to grab plate to put on bar and bam the muscle on my ride side right under shoulder blade tightened up. (Idk what would be called ha) So I had to deal with that whole workout. Didn't bother me too much other than when got under bar to unrack it. Had to end up moving hands out little farther than usual but other than that it was just annoying.

Workout I've been following bumped weight up again this week so it was percentages plus 30 pounds. Top set ended up being 300 for 2 reps, which is what I used for my max when started. So guess I'll be kinda setting new pr every workout now ha.

Good luck guys.

Westfinger likes this.
  7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hit a wall on the peloton today but battled to a DMZ. Was able to get in a good weight set first so not a total loss.
    Back at it manana

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  8. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing this and think you are approaching this in an awesome way...you know attaching it to your hunting goals! It's easy to go on a 30 day diet/exercise plan and be done...It's another thing to make it a routine and lifestyle! Keep it up.

Westfinger likes this.
  9. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    This, whenever we go on vacation and I eat a higher carb diet I feel terrible after a couple of days and can't wait to get back to my normal diet. I can't imagine feeling that way all the time.

Last few weeks at the gym have been very good. I have gone back to a couple thing that were mainstays in my training. the first is caffeine. I use to drink coffee all morning long and then I would drink a couple (sometimes 3) zero calorie monsters in the afternoon. I went cold turkey over two years ago. I have recently started taking some caffeine prior to my workouts.
    I have also resumed tracking my workouts. I have always done this but stopped around two years ago. This has kept me on point with my training progression. I have also bumped up my baseline calories to 2400 and have enjoyed some higher calorie days intermittently. After New Years I will eliminate the higher calories days and stay around 2400 for a few weeks to see what that does to my body composition.

Stay after it guys!

10. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Hit it again. Did bench and db incline for heavier lifts. Then worked upper back and chest. Still had little bit of soreness from Monday when tweaked something but wasn't bad.

At end tried something kind of new. Wasn't really anyone there so I loaded the bar with 2 45's and did some power cleans and added ohp. Idk if there a name for that bit was basically a clean and jerk without goin all the way back to floor. Ended up doin 3 sets 5 to 8 reps. Definitely got the heart rate up. So wasn't really too bad and something kinda new. Kept weight low to kinda get the movement down.

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  11. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Been throwing the idea around of getting a lifting belt, just curious if anyone else uses them. I don't really have any experience with them, really only thing use is straps for dl and wrist wraps occasionally.

12. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Did deadlift workout today. Working sets were 310, 350, and 390. Went pretty good. Top set wasn't bad but definitely felt the weight. Went back down tho and knocked out bottom weight farely easy. Next week is supposed to be off week as far as dl's so gonna do some kind of variation to work on.

After that did db curls, tri pulldows, close grip lat pulldowns, weighted dips, and db rows. Then did some abs and lower back extensions. Pretty decent workout but think gonna add in a day of cardio. Kinda need to be doin some anyway but gonna try get rid of some flab.

virginiashadow and pastorjim08 like this.
  13. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I don't wear a belt anymore but did for many years. I use straps for DB shrugs thats it. I don't do any direct forearm training so I don't wear them for DL, farmers walk etc.

14. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know this is late, hope it cleared up fine. I want to mention this because it can turn serious fast. Last year I got a sore in my nose. Always bleeding ,but pain was bad my entire face hurt . Then came the lungs and coughing. Very bad because I called Dr. office the NP called back and said welcome to the flu and didn't want me to come in. It went on and on Two weeks later I had my regular check up. VERY unhappy Dr. Immediately called in heavy antibiotics.
    See we all have staph bacteria in our noses. Now being older, hey I get just enough nose hair to bother me, cutting it I had nicked my nose. That allowed the staph to go to work. It worked through sinuses to my lungs.
    This is bad for it could have gone to my brain. The NP had made an assumption even though I told her of the nose sore. I actually got lucky on this one and my immune system fought hard for me. So if a bleeding nose becomes painful or you get flu like symptoms following it.. GET TO THE DOCTORS.

virginiashadow likes this.
  15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I'm gonna set up an ent appt. My left sinus wont stop swelling and I sound like someone is pinching my nose. I noticed a sore in there months ago. Painful for about a week.

Westfinger and oldnotdead like this.
  16. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Hit my first goal on the Jacobs ladder. 1000 in 10 min. Next goal 1100 in 10 min.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

virginiashadow and pastorjim08 like this.
  17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hate to tell you, but based on your heart rate, you're not going to hit your next goal.

Nice job!

18. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    :lol: Yeah I don’t have a HR monitor on but it was slightly higher than that when I was moving:lol:.

19. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I admit been very bad since I left gym. Paying the price so today the exercise ball got firmed up and the suspension gym is hung again. Tomorrow I start with a morning routine. Stretch, sit ups on the ball. Bridges, weights then some time on the eliptical. Later I'll add the total gym. When this upper respitory finally leaves I'll be hitting the local state forest for hikes and scouting.

Westfinger likes this.
  20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    CBD, and weekly massage from a PT therapist. Not a cure all but it helps.

Westfinger and virginiashadow like this.