Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Decline BB press, Incline DB press, OHP, BB flat bench press, flys. Golfers elbow has been barking so I skipped the anterior flexion stuff.
    Need to ramp up the cardio. Probably do a 10 miler or half marathon in the spring.
    Stay after it guys!

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ran a couple trail miles yesterday and walked a couple. Back, arms, and abs today.

Westfinger likes this.
  3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A few years ago, I ran into Chris bowhunting elk in CO. He's trying to make another run to make the UK Olympic judo team. A beast of a man and he's dropping weekly vids on his youtube channel, if you need some motivation or want to cheer for a fellow bowhunter.

Westfinger and virginiashadow like this.
  4. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Olympic judo players=phenomenal athletes. I trained with an American Olympic Judo player for years.

Westfinger and wl704 like this.
  5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And he's a Royal Marine Commando...

virginiashadow and Westfinger like this.
  6. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Straight Bad A

Westfinger and wl704 like this.
  7. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back from gym. Was deadlift day and after skipping last week following the program I'm doin started off little rough. I did more warm ups then usually do but ended strong. Workout was:
    4x4 at 290
    1x2 at 330
    1x2 at 370
    1x8 at 290

That's adding 10 pounds to percentages of max for 2nd week and next week add another 10. Before started did 2 sets of 4 with one plate then 2 plates. Overall felt good and I busted out the last set of 8 quicker than have since started. Usually need to kinda take second to reset but pretty much did all reps touch and go. After that did bis and tris. Db curl, tri press, db rows, tri pull downs, and ended with some grip work. Use straps when doin dl workout so always do once or twice week. I've done my max without straps for doubles but I wanna finish the workout and not have the reason be grip it don't. Be interesting to see how this effects max pull, seems like once get heavier weights they feel like nothing. And here in few weeks will be doin current max or over for reps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I hate training after I have been up all night but what other options do I have? Stay home?

Pull downs, DB shrugs, Rows, pull ups, face pulls, tri extension. Jump rope, speed bag, Jacobs ladder.

[​IMG]

Might try to get my bench up. I’m sure I will get smoked by the younger guys and the non nattys but we’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pastorjim08 and virginiashadow like this.
  9. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Sitting here wondering why I can manhandle things anymore. Then I realize Im 45. Life is funny. Lol

Westfinger likes this.
  10. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I hear you. You can’t look back and compare yourself to your younger self or anyone else. Just do your best and smash it today.

dnoodles and virginiashadow like this.
  11. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Just finished a good workout. Im hurting. Sprints on treadmill. Dumbell squats to failure. Incline dumbells. Abs and calves.

Westfinger likes this.
  12. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Hit the gym tonight, did squat workout which is kinda same template use for deadlifts. Working sets were 225, 250, and 280. Then did leg extensions, leg curls, and leg press. After that did few sets of db curls and tri pulldowns. Wanted to do some other stuff but between what did and work today I was wiped out.

13. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Did all family stuff last night and Sunday so hit gym tonight. Did incline db press then ohp. Followed up with chest flys, reverse delt fly, lat pulldowns, bent over rows, and lat lifts (idk if that's what they're called but db raises to the side). Was decent workout and worked up to two sets of 70 for 5 on incline. Most I've did in while. Might go tomorrow to do Friday's workout cause we haveta work and idk when will get done. Gonna pour some flat work and will be waiting around to finish it so could take while. It'll be deadlift day and like goin early so nobody else is around ha.

virginiashadow and Westfinger like this.
  14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Been hitting it hard. Older I get the more important hydration and protein intake has to be in order to recover.

Westfinger and jrk_indle84 like this.
  15. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Went a head and went to gym today. Went down early to avoid other ppl, lucky did it ead packed by time I left. But was able to do deadlift workout without anyone else there. Working sets were 300, 340, and 380. Everything went really good. I've been debating skipping a head some and adding more weight but idk either. Have been progressing good so why mess it up. After that did some bro arm stuff and called it a day. Was way too many ppl in small gym to so much else.

And to top it all off I think i made some dude mad ha. He and another person, idk if guy or girl, came in as I got done with deads. Now maybe it's just me but whenever I do deadlifts I scrap my shins pretty bad. Usually the right side is bleeding and that's why I wear long pants to gym. But this guy was like "oh you're bleeding," I was like yea I know. So he says "they make this sleeve that goes on bar so don't do that, or could just hold bar away." So I laughed and was like yea i don't care enough to worry bout scraping my legs and that's how you mess up your back. He replied whatever dude. I said exactly. Meanwhile he's doin some half***ed crossfit/dummy squats on the half bouncy ball thing that's used in like aerobics class. Meanwhile this Pat that came in with him is squatting in the rack and hear say " my knee is hurting kinda bad when I'm going down. So the dude was like oh it's not big deal just keep goin, you just forgot your wraps. So I start watching and this persons knee are literally about to buckle every time they take bar off rack and start to go down. So I walk by and say "you're gonna blow your knee out listening to him." And then get dirty look from the guy as I laugh walking off.

And that's why i only go to the gym when know nobody else will be there ha. ( sorry for long post)

16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been hitting the gym for 2 weeks straight- Peloton every day, alternating 20 min and 45 min rides every other day. I could run 3-4 miles on a treadmill and not get thrashed like I do on that bike. I'm literally drenched afterwards. Mixing in standard dumbbell work, pull ups, and crunches every day as well.

2 weeks ago I was 215 and flabby. My wife bet me if I could lose 20lbs by Valentines Day I get a semi-guided Elk Hunt as a reward. Don't have a scale while I'm away from home working; but I do know I've already gone from a tight size 18 neck to a 17 neck and my suit pants which were tight 2 weeks ago are not anymore. I've already cinched up the belt 1 notch; not to mention the strength gains. I know I've got a ways to go but usually if I make it past the 2 week consecutive mark I stick with it for awhile.

My long term goal is to be a ripped 190 come September...chasing screaming bulls up and down mountains without having a stroke.

17. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    ...but there is something to be said for Old Man Strength.

18. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I know I'm late to the party as I tend to avoid this thread in shame when I'm not On It physically, but did you have this looked at? Might've been a polyp or cyst that ruptured.

oldnotdead likes this.
  19. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    From the sound of it, looks like you be going an elk hunt next fall. Stay after it! I guarantee when its all said and done, you will not regret it! You will only have regrets if you give up.

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

jrk_indle84 and Westfinger like this.
  20. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I think the blood is a gym etiquette thing. It’s like leaving the bench soaked it sweat. Only more infectious lol.
    Seen a video from athlean x that made me think of you. It was about improving your bench. I will post it when I get a chance.

Quick lunch work out. Inc DB, Decline BB, Flat BB, FLys, OHP, dips. Hoping to do the buck drag for cardio tonight!

Stay after it guys. Welcome to the mix dnoodles, keep killing it!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    dnoodles likes this.