Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I tried intermittent fasting for about 3 weeks and just wasn't enjoying it, so I stopped. Although like you I am still doing it on occasion as it fits with working out. Mostly on weekends where I can fast from around 8 pm on a Friday night and then hit the gym around noon on Saturday before eating. I've really enjoyed the fasted workouts I've done and have felt great afterward. I just wish I could do more of them.

tynimiller likes this.
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been on the road all week Sunday thru Friday night. Nothing but restaurant food and late dinners followed by sitting in a hotel room, I call it puss gut. I feel like I put on 10 pounds this week.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now some days I truly fast, only water, black coffee and my organifi green juice from sun up till 3PM at earliest before I break that fast....this type I cannot do more than a day or two in a row and never on a day where true exertion is going to occur from anything from cardio to habitat work at the property.

My typical day now though since switching incorporates bullet proof coffe around 8am, and 11am....then true meal or meals between 3PM and 9PM. The BP coffee truly satiates me and I've not struggled at all with this "fasting" technique.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is really a thing? Not to mock it but really is it that hard? Pretty simple to identify the fatty things you eat and minimize that intake. Do not snack between meals and do not eat after 6:00 pm, swap water out for soda. No deserts, cake, cookies, bars. or ice cream and stay on your feet not on the couch.

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure I'm following...minimizing the fatty intake would counter act trying to stay in ketosis. Which basically is where you body switches from using glucose as your fuel to fats (ketones). Intermittent fasting actually is a terribly old concept for eating lifestyles and so long as one stays hydrated and doesn't go to the point of "starving onself" can and does encourage some incredible things in gut health, metabolism and energy storage.

Like I said though I rarely do true fasting, as my BP coffees have around 200-300 calories in them a piece...

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Sota I will be honest I was extremely hesitant on going to this but have truly felt clearer and waking up as not been the time drudge it used to be.

Basically much to my surprise my mornings altogether are vastly better and mind feels sharper...but that most likely is do to the better fats and oils kicking it off as many scientists agree that those are wonderful things for the brain.

Who knows...health is like hunting there are an innumerable amount of ways to get healthier...

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No don't get me wrong I have changed the way I eat and what goes in probably 3-4 years ago. Minimize processed foods, no soda, no fast food, no junk food, drink a lot of water and use anti oxidants. I can't do the whole green shake thing. It is impossible when I travel and believe me I feel different even eating restaurant food even trying to eat the healthiest option on the menu. Once you kick the crap processed food and you go back it is weird. Every once in a while I get a hankering for a filet o fish and a big mac, I aways regret it a few bites in everything is so salty.

tynimiller likes this.
  8. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Compared to a true strength program like 5-3-1 or whatever you won't gain much strength especially if you are an experienced lifer. It would be good exercise and an untrained person would likely see improvements in their performance for a variety of reasons but strength gains would be modest at best.

9. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    The only thing that makes people fat is consuming more calories than you burn. The timing and make up of those calories is largely irrelevant.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So if you consume 2000 calories a day and if the bulk of those calories are consumed followed by a period of peak inactivity that is irrelevant?

Fix likes this.
  11. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed... Inactivity determines storage.

12. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    If your BMR is 2400 calories/day and your doing IF and eat 2000 and go to bed what is going to happen?

13. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Consuming more than you need determines storage.

If my BMR is 2400 and I do nothing but sit on the couch and eat 2000 calories I will get fat because I'm inactive?

14. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That 2400 is determined by a few factors... One of which is assuming a basic active lifestye.
    Best approach is to do something\anything to start your metabolism after eating.

15. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IMHO

16. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    BMR by definition is nothing more than the calories you need to function doing nothing in a day. I'll play along to help illustrate my point. Your BMR is 2400 calories, you go to the gym and burn 500. You come home and eat 2500 calories and go to bed. You lose weight because your in a caloric deficit. 2900 calories needed only 2500 consumed = 400 calorie deficit. Thats all that matters. You don't need to exercise or do anything for that matter if your in a caloric deficit you will lose weight.

Your point is well taken. Most people struggle with the diet part of weight loss. By increasing activity or better yet increasing metabolically active tissue by a weight training program their caloric needs increase. Thus the greater the calories you can consume and still be in a deficit.

All the activity is the world won't make you lose weight if you are eating a caloric surplus. You can't out train poor nutrition.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  17. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Enjoy that

18. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Fix, I'm sorry if I offended you or insulted you in anyway. I was just trying to help anyone who might be interested. I would never try to belittle anyone especially a fellow western NYer. My sincerest apologies.

19. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been eating much better. At least half of the sugar carbs have been cut out. When I get the time I've been working out on duty. Push ups ...pullups. Some sprints on the freezing cold darkened elementary school fields. Haha. Got to get it in when I can. Prob lost a couple lbs in 2 weeks. Be good if I could lose maybe a lb every week or two.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Westfinger likes this.
  20. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No worries west

Westfinger likes this.