Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hit 229 lbs this morning. Has taken me about 10 months to loose over 10 lbs. Slow grind. The last time I was at 230 or below was maybe 3 yrs ago. Finally some progress. Stomach has gone from maybe 40 inches to 37 or so. Getting there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Nicely done!

I got back on Keto a few weeks ago and have been getting a little more aggressive in my workouts. Somehow I managed to put on 20 lbs since this time last year in spite of still eating "semi" clean and still working out 3-4 times a week. The late night Oreos will get ya every time. :lol: As they say, you can't outrun a bad diet! Especially when you get older and have crappy metabolism to start with.

I started at 212 and am back down to 202 as of this morning and looking to get back to 190 by the end of the year.

3. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds familiar. I still do conventional deads but not as often and I go light. Like you I just seem to keep hurting myself. Its a great exercise so I hate to completely omit it but there are some lifts I don't go heavy anymore.

4. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Quick session of compound lifts today. Decline bench, squat, OHP. Hopefully be in the tree stand this afternoon and get to do some “dead lifts”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cantexian likes this.
  5. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    no sir, those days are way past me now.. 315 is all I can and want to handle.. I left power lifting 20 years and 40 lbs ago!!!

Westfinger likes this.
  6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This afternoons workout... Nearly puked.

7. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Looks painful, I'll have to give it a shot.

Long call day and call weekend ahead of me. Did 25 minutes of HITT on the Jacobs ladder.
    stay after it.

8. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Call day full body bro workout. Decline bench, narrow pull downs, DB shrugs, DB curls, leg extensions, leg curls. Then I did some recon on the rower to figure out how long it takes to do 500m (2:30 with a steady pace) and what kind of weight I would need to do all those kettle ball swings and goblet squats.... In a word light

Get after it.

virginiashadow likes this.
  9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sub 2 minutes on them 500m rows :) I think I used a 25 or 30# kb for the swings and squats.

Their workouts are a good mix.

10. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a good mix of stuff. I haven't done anything like this since the wife quit going to the gym last spring.
    I'm going to give it a walk through tomorrow or Monday if I don't hunt. I will go with the 20lbs kettlebell to start (first do no harm) and see how it feels. Same with the rowing, steady pace first time through it.
    Thanks again for posting it.

wl704 likes this.
  11. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Well I tried wl704’s workout. It was good. I haven’t done that many KB swing in forever. I thought I would be a little sore but nothing yet. My hip was a little snarky doing the burpees but the Goblet squats weren’t to bad except for the last couple sets.

Quick bro workout tonight after hunting.

Bench, pull-ups, bench, row repeat.

pastorjim08 and wl704 like this.
  12. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 44 years old and it's hunting season. I'm in full maintenance mode right now for about another month.

dnoodles and Westfinger like this.
  13. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm kinda in the same mode. Between hunting season and work I just don't have much time for the gym. My calories are spot on EVERYDAY though. Matter of fact, at my last weigh-in I had lost 4lbs and I'm not trying in any way to lose weight. Just keeping track of calories.

14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah Jim. I hunt so hard and get up so early that if I add in in any type of workout that consistently breaks down muscle I run the risk of getting sick. And I don't have time for that

Westfinger likes this.
  15. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No Sunday public land hunting in NC, so I try to get a workout in. This may be anything from cardio, pickleball, weights or machines.

Mon is an early morning travel day to my clients...no workout.

Tues-Thurs I try to get at least 2 days before work (5am ish).

Friday I try to catch a (5:15am) morning workout class at the Y.

Sat is treestand therapy.

Westfinger likes this.
  16. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I hear you guys. Hunting is definitely the priority right now but I still have time to get into the gym a few days a week. I don’t feel right if I don’t go. It would be different if I had a bunch of kids etc.

My diet is on point and on auto pilot. Most people would be shocked with how boring my diet is. I eat basically the same stuff everyday. I have the occasional cheat day or vacation to go nuts.

pastorjim08 and virginiashadow like this.
  17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Right now Im still running a couple times a week..pushups. pullups. Abdominals. More volume work right now.

18. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are better Men than me. Age finally caught up to me and tagged me in the back w a sledgehammer. While I am healing pretty quick per usual; I legit thought I had broke my back and it scared the hell outta me. I'm not ashamed to admit, first thing that popped into my mind was "oh, F<v4, how the hell am I gonna hunt like this.?!?!"

I'd been able to drop down to 210-ish w diet alone, but I've been tempting fate way too long relying mostly on natural Old Man Muscle with no strength training to speak of. I've got to get my small muscles in shape or next time I might not end up flat on my back for "only" 3 days.

Westfinger likes this.
  19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Age is a real b**ch, that's for sure! I tweaked something at the base of my neck/upper back yesterday when I was doing dips and thought I was going to cry. I tried to power through and keep lifting but didn't want to make it worse - especially during deer season. So I bailed on weights and just did extra cardio. It's been a long time since I did a straight 60 minutes on the stair machine. Good times!

Down to 197 this morning from 212 on 9/30 and I'm feeling great. I may end up staying on Keto awhile longer than anticipated. I was originally planning on October only, but I may just ride this out for another month or two. I'm feeling good, have a lot of energy, am eating less and my workouts are haven't slipped at all.

20. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hiked three miles in 60 today with a 30lb pack. My workouts have dropped off the last couple of weeks, poor sleep due to a toddler with a broken foot constantly waking up, and the stomach bug working through the family the since this past weekend.