Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Alan Mcfadden

Alan Mcfadden Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just started going back to the gym...I do an upright bike I did 14 miles in 60 minutes tonight...I can't wait until weather warms up and I can get one of my bikes out and start riding it..i can ride my bike any where from 20 miles on I can get about 1,500 miles or more when it's season and nice out

Sent from my SM-T827R4 using Tapatalk

Westfinger likes this.
  2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Mad respect for all that @ 77!

3. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still at it,gained 10 pounds of the good kind since about September.

Gym 4 days a week,usually lift for about an hour and then cardio for at least 30 minutes.Usually about a 2/3 mile run and then finish out the 30 minutes on the revolving stairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Westfinger likes this.
  4. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I downloaded the dailyburn app on my firestick and have been doing that for a week or so. Not to lose weight (37 years old, 6' 160lbs) but just to get more exercise and keep the joints feeling good. Enjoying the app so far.

Westfinger likes this.
  5. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been tracking calories and macros since Dec 09, and long time gym rat. Like many of you I was sick of my fat dad bod. At that time I was 215 (heaviest was 225 in my 20's). Since then I have maintained my weight around 170-175. I will bump my calories up in the fall to increase my BF for winter. Currently sitting in the low 180's after a week in Punta Cana. Calories are 2400, with protein target of 1 gram per lbs of body weight minimum. Currently doing a three day split of anterior, posterior, legs 5 days a week. In addition I will do 1 bootcamp style workout with my GF once a week. I do 20-30 minutes of fasted cardio a few days a week and will run a couple times a week.
    Like many of you I'm always working around little injuries and my lifts are a far cry from what they were in my 20's but I feel great and I'm told I don't look my age (47).

Body composition is definitely 80% diet 20% gym.

I look forward to following along.

jacobs117 and pastorjim08 like this.
  6. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I have done IF as well. Definitely a good technique but its just not something I want to sustain. I'm a IIFYM kind of guy but try to eat half my calories between 5-9pm.

7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Little penicillin ought to take care if that.

8. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like a push/pull/legs routine ?

9. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Same idea. The biggest difference is on my anterior day I hit anterior muscle groups such as chest and biceps which are not typically paired together in push/pull splits.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    City kids and muscle group issues. Come to the country cut down and hand split some oak you will feel all kinds of anterior muscle groups and not typically paired with what ever 10 ply crap a personal trainer tells you.

11. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Lol I don’t need a personal trainer. Never had never will. It’s not rocket science and I have all the motivation I need.
    I don’t cut wood but I have smashed tractor tires with a sledgehammer. Definitely a good way to get a sweat going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sota likes this.
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tell you what West I will provide you a big pile of oak for you to split, not the same as a sledge and a tractor tire but I will let you do it for free.:biggrin:

13. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I need a personal trainer. For motivation and for technique to keep from getting injured and for nutrition. I just started working with one and its way too early to know where things will go, but so far, I am extremely impressed with her knowledge. It may not be rocket science, but I have neither the time nor interest to study and learn what she brings to our gym. I pushed the easy button on this one because I could, and because I needed to start getting in shape. I would recommend working with a good trainer to anyone that wants to get in shape and has little experience with workouts and nutrition. One week in and I already feel better and have lost 2.5 lbs. I look forward to what six months down the road and beyond holds for me. In my opinion, its pretty hard to put a price on good health and she is going to be worth every penny!

Westfinger likes this.
  14. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll take a rain check Sota, but thanks for looking out for me.

Fletch those are great reasons to use a trainer. Shows good insight and judgement on your part. Good luck with your goals and stay with it. If it was easy everybody would be in good shape.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    fletch920 likes this.
  15. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    While cutting wood is probably a good cardio workout its not going to build strength. Unless you can give me a heavier splitting maul to use every week.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 13 pound head on a 36" handle it will do. The weight changes from rolling the log tilting and tipping lifting and throwing, such fun. It is a work out if you can cut and split a cord of wood a day you are in great shape.

17. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Everybody staying after it? Don’t let the Super bowl derail your hard work.

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Between traveling for ATA and then the Lancaster shoot and eating and drinking like a fatty I've stagnated a bit. Still hitting the gym on a regular basis so I'm maintaining, but not losing any weight right now. Really need to hunker down and get back on track - after I consume a slab of ribs on Sunday that is. :)

19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Um.....I'll have to disagree here. If say someone decided to put in 2 or 3 hours of log splitting a night or every other I guarantee muscles will be built and differences will be felt and seen. Are you going to put on so much mass you look "swole" probably not, but you will build some strength...but also muscle endurance.

20. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I started personally the Keto style diet right after the Holidays....while measurable weight loss has only been about 4-5 lbs. I do feel much better...I'm now getting the hang of it more and more and have begun intermittent fasting with it strategically based on activities planned like cardio, sports or hitting the weights slowly again.

I have noticed belt is looser and clothes seem to fit better...having the hang of the diet part now, if I start incorporating working out I have no doubt I'll truly start seeing some pounds come off.

Westfinger likes this.