Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have to make a change. I have always let my workouts dictate my health, followed by my diet. Well at 44, that isn't working anymore. My health needs to be driven by my diet. Started last Saturday by going alcohol free and trying to get in more fruits and vegetables. My body is working too hard converting the crap I eat into working fuel.

2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is one thing I have figured out as I've gotten older, you simply can't out exercise your diet. Unless you are working out 8 hours a day, you absolutely have to watch what you eat.

Blessings...........Pastorjim

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your back is bugging you and you are confident it is just a strained muscle and not related to vertebrae or disc damage, do three things:

1) Stretch out your hip flexors
    2) Strengthen your abs using plank variations; both standard and side planks
    3) Strengthen your hips, particularly the glute medius using bands

When heavy squats and dead lifts start aggravating the lower back it is one of, or more likely, a combination of three things.

1) Tight hip flexors associated to prolonged periods of sitting (more than three hours a day)
    2) Weak abs resulting in inadequate activation and stabilization during the squats and dead lifts. This forces the lower back to overcompensate to complete the lift.
    3) The hip stabilization muscles have grown disproportionately weak as numbers 1 and 2 have become problems, again resulting in the lower back overcompensating for the weakened hips.

A chiropractor may help provide temporary relief, but if the underlying cause of the low back pain is one or more of the factors I have described, than a chiropractor is kind of like using a bandaid to fix a broken leg.

4. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea its been on and off for last couple years. I originally hurt it and work and now ever since then about once or twice a year I do the same thing. This time around I was doin deads few weeks ago and doin sets and on one of the reps I didn't get back into a good position befor doin the lift and as you mentioned my lower back took most of the weight and got me where I am now. It was mostly my fault for not stopping because I knew coming off floor was in a bad position but finished lift anyway. Plus Friday at work did few thing that weren't best for it.

Like said its just something I've been dealing with for while and usually happens when do somthing stupid so not really concerned with it being more than muscle strain. As far as chiropractors, I tend to agree. Yesterday was probably 3rd time my whole life have went to one and it's pretty much a last resort to even go. Most time I can rest it and its fine. But sometimes that doesn't always work so make a trip into one. Might not be best method to heal but I dont like sitting around taking pain meds and with my job I can't really rest it or take it easy as much as should to heal it. So a quick fix is sometimes only option. Best thing is to probably just let it heal rest of way before worry bout doin to much more a gym.

Thanks for info tho, I'll look into some the stuff you metioned.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cantexian likes this.
  5. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Ran 3 miles yesterday. Walked for an hour and did 300 pushups along the way today. 210 or bust.

gri22ly, cantexian and pastorjim08 like this.
  6. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Walked for an hour and did 120 lunges and 120 pushups along the way today. Had some other decent workout last week. Lower back is tight so I've ratched down the intensity until I get it squared away.

7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Crazy as it sounds stretch your legs (calves to glutes) too sometimes help. Even some slow toe touches. But...

A few back stretches that help my lower back (I have a lumbar disc that gives me problems).

Lie on your back and pull knees into chest. Hold for 10 or so seconds.

Stay on your back and stretch your right leg over your left side (a twist at the hips). You'll feel different muscles if you bring your knee up (toward your face) . Switch legs and twist in the opposite direction.

On the knees, drop your butt onto your heels and roll forward so your chin stretches toward toward your knees.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    jrk_indle84 and virginiashadow like this.
  8. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Made it back to the gym today. Was first time in about a week in a half. My back finally has no pain so was ready to get back at it. Did upper body today and felt good to be back after it. Tomorrow will be doin lower body. Still try to keep it light bit see how feel.

9. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Follow the same advice that I gave @jrk_indle84 a couple of posts above this. Especially, if you still spend most of your shift sitting in the car while patrolling.

10. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    It's been working pretty decent. Between that and the shoulder stuff you recommended having been messing myself up too bad ha.

Went tonight and did lower body stuff. Kept weight kinda light but after pretty much 3 weeks of no deadlifts or squats felt pretty week and think I forgot how to brace haha. Not really but just kinda felt weird. Nothing hurt though so that's a big plus. Did find out the smith machine do squats on is a different height on one side compared to other, maybe they all are, but I thought maybe had a growth spurt for a min ha.

cantexian likes this.
  11. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Hiked 3.5 miles with 30 lbs today. It was a inclined treadmill hike since it is baseball season. I rarely have time to go for a real hike this time of year.

12. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Mid 30s year old lady in here today doing 6 plates on each side of leg press. I had to give her a compliment. Said she was a former college athlete. Looks like a discus or shot put thrower. Poweful.

13. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mid thirties constitutes old lady!!!!

14. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sure you're watching the weights :poke:

Seriously though, that's pretty damn impressive. How many reps? My best was probably short of 600. But at 53, I can still do a decent set of 400—450.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    virginiashadow likes this.
  15. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    He meant 30 yo.

16. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I was just bored

17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Was doing sets of 8 or 10

18. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I came into today's workout not expecting much. My toddler had tubes put in his ears yesterday. He started running a fever and coughing. My wife and I took turns sleeping sitting up holding him because his breathing was so raspy when laying down. I skipped the workout yesterday to be home to help my wife take care of him and our older boys.

This morning I did my 40 minute run/weighted pack step workouts. 5 minutes running at 8.0 mph followed immediately by 5 minutes of step ups with a 35 lb pack. This was supposed to be yesterday's workout. Today was supposed to be max dead lifts only. I went ahead and did the dead lifts and maxed out at 365 lbs. No way I would have thought that would happen with the way I felt when I woke up this morning. Goes to prove, that attitude is more important than physical aptitude. I really thought about skipping the workout today, but I sucked it up and got it done. Turned out to be my best workout this month so far. :rock:

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a fun one to throw into the rotation about once a week. A serious butt kicker... Simple and effective. Not too far off your plan but a good mix.

20. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Bodyweight finally stabilized at 240 lbs 2 weeks ago. I have gained weight for 4.5 months while working out. But I look and feel a lot healthier. Have dropped a couple lbs over the past 2 weeks so I finally know my muscle mass is kicking into gear and burning fat. Most people think I look like 215 to 220lbs. Now time to really get there weight wise.

Ramping up the intensity of my workouts and dropping the overall volume. Was struggling doing cardio in the 160bpm today for more than 1.5 to 2 min. My line of work I need to be able to operate above 160bpm for 3 to 4 minutes if necessary.

jrk_indle84 likes this.