Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    This is usually one of my go-to exercises on KB day, but my legs were barking at me pretty good this morning. Apparently, they didn't appreciate 4 days of stairs/elliptical leading into this morning, so I took it easy on them. Between the KB swings, goblet squats and figure 8's I figured it was good enough.

2. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just checking in to see how everyone is getting tuned in for deer season.

Believe it or not I came out of retirement to help a friend of a friend who is opening a chain of drug and mental health treatment facilities. 3 so far, 4th in October, 5th next year.

I’m handling all the finances for patients before and after treatment.

Enjoyable to see kids get their life back with sobriety. But also heartbreaking when a few relapse and die.

Fentanyl is the devil trust me. Pure evil.

Needless to say I’m losing whatever edge I was trying to keep @ 65.5 years old but still strong and hunting with an 80 pound bow is no issue. It’s the knees for me. I need to do more for them especially stretching legs which helps the knees.

Happy bow hunting everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cantexian, Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No so much a work out as working outside. I am clearing a strip of brush along the bay because I need more lawn to mow. There are two massive trees that blew down and tangled up I am cutting those out and burning all the brush as I go. Long sleeves because of the bugs and thorns, getting after it and working the fire to burn up green stuff. It felt good to take a shower at 10:30 and see ash and soot running down the shower drain.

I feel like I have my turbo back that extra gear the energy to push. Amazingly pain free no soreness this morning other than a few scratches and bruises, I feel great.

4. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Resting the joint’s today with body weight exercises. Pull ups, push ups, hypers, pike push ups, heels to heaven, butterfly kicks, Superman banana.

On my call weekends like this one I will walk six miles on the treadmill. I will usually break it up in two three mile walks or three two mile walks. There was usually far too much sitting around. Why not burn a few calories and break up the day a little.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  5. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here’s what my gym looks like.[​IMG]
    We have stretching/body weight up front. We are short about 10 tiles and they will be in this next week. Don’t really do weights on the tiles bc they can slip.
    [​IMG]
    We have treadmill that can do incline and decline, a bike and an echo bike. I would love to add a rower. That open trap bar from rep behind the treadmill is one of my favorite things we got. Obviously trap bar deadlifts but also acts like a buffalo bar and a wheelbarrow for heavy carries.
    [​IMG]
    This is my wife’s rack. It’s a fold out rogue rack that I bought used. Got bands on the right and bungees on the left. Also have a couple plyo boxes.
    [​IMG]
    We used horse stall mats where weights will be lifted. Have 2 adjustable kbells. One goes to 40 lbs, the other to 80. Also 2 small 13 lb ones. We have a 14lb and 20 lb med ball and a 20 lb slam ball. There are 2 sets of adjustable dumbbells one goes from 5-55, the other 10-90. I am not a huge fan of them bc you can’t drop them but they are cheaper and save space compared to full sets of traditional dumbbells.
    [​IMG]
    This is my rack. It’s the bells of steel hydra 4 post with a lat pull/low row attachment. Awesome 3x3 rack. Highly recommend. If feels just like a rogue rack. It’s on a platform I built. Super easy. We put the decal on it. We call the gym the wolf den. We got 2 hybrids so it made sense. Have a seal row pad, dip bars and a couple other sweet attachments. And yes that is a Taliban flag I took off a taliban savage in Afghanistan.
    [​IMG]
    This is our bells of steel ghd/reverse hyper. I gets the most use. If you aren’t doing reverse hypers you are wrong. The bench is a rep fitness bench. It’s an absolute tank. It’s very heavy but I love it.

Things not shown are my bells of steel stainless steel power lifting bar which I absolutely love. Aggressive knurling super stiff. And then we have a rogue Ohio bar as well for the olympic lifts. I am a fan of quality gym stuff but there are some cheaper deals out there. If you are a vet or first responder, bells of steel gives a discount. We have a lot of space and if you don’t obviously you can scale down but everything gets used a lot. My wife and I use it all the time and the neighbors as well. My wife may be starting her own cashed based pt clinic there. She is a doctor and way smarter than me. We will throw a table for her in the front part if that happens and her clinic will be called the den.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2024
  6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had a workout that i haven't done in over 20 years. Took the family to a roller rink and went skating. I was on Rollerblades. I was out there for almost 2 hours and had a blast with the kids! My legs are fairly sore. The blisters are horrible from the crappy rentals though. This is something the family is going to do again very soon! What a overall great time and definitely missed it. Everyone was asking to go next weekend.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I did it again yesterday spent over 9 hours cutting, lifting, throwing, burning. Feel great love my turmeric. Can not explain the difference it makes in perspective when you can get after it and get planned hard work done and it does not take days to recover.

8. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stay healthy buddy! Glad to hear your able to get after it again.

Westfinger and Sota like this.
  9. Chevarlok

Chevarlok Newb

Dislikes Received:
    18 miles of hiking yesterday...

Westfinger likes this.
  10. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully this time next week we are packing an elk out. This week is light cardio and lifting. Focusing on explosiveness, hydration, and spine health. Super long week at work prior to so unfortunately sleep will not be best leading up to the hunt.

Westfinger likes this.
  11. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man thats exciting! Is it just you? Or a couple guys?

12. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is 2 others. All three of us Drew 16 E in New Mexico. We have a fourth that may just come to be a Packmule.

Westfinger, cantexian and Holt like this.
  13. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats awesome. More hands make it much easier. I haven't been since 2017, starting to get itch to chase them again.

Westfinger, cantexian and Wedes like this.
  14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    That's a blast! I usually get to the local roller rink 2-3 times a year with my kids. I still opt for roller skates instead of blades since that's what I was raised on in the 90's and it feels more natural. It can be a heck of a workout for sure!

I'm going for another 5x workout week. Started this morning with a decent workout but nothing too crazy. 30 minutes / 220 flights of stairs followed by some light back/shoulder work. Cable side raises, cable rope curls, lat pulldowns and rows.

Westfinger, pastorjim08 and Holt like this.
  15. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got a tough workout last night. 4 hours on the bike. Was pushing pretty good for the whole time. Legs started cramping about 3 hours in. I punched myself a few times in the quads and it went away, haha.

Goal is to try and get min. One ride a week thru winter. But I dont like riding in the cold and the trainer sucks. But i will try. Screenshot_20240828_113502_Strava.jpg

Westfinger likes this.
  16. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did heavy deadlifts last Friday, hiked about 5 miles scouting and setting stands on Saturday, then spent Sunday helping move a friend's son on Sunday. Upper Body work out on Monday. My legs are still sore from Friday - Sunday, so I took yesterday off and did an easy ride on the bike for 30 minutes today.

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I worked out on Monday and Tuesday, skipped yesterday, then got after it this morning to celebrate turning 44. Where does the time go??

30 min x 235 flights of stairs, lat pulldowns, endless rope pulldowns, upright rows, bent bar curls, single arm rows. Feeling pretty good for a fat old man.

18. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Happy Birthday man. Look at it like this; there's alot of guys out there that are your age who aren't doing anything to keep themselves in shape. You are ahead of the game, my man!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Westfinger likes this.
  19. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Happy birthday Justin!

I also turn 44 this October. Bring on "middle aged" haha

Westfinger likes this.
  20. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well i got sidelined for a few days. Back when i just turned 30 i got a bad case of gout. Couldn't walk for 3 days. Once i kicked that, i haven't had it since. Over the years i would feel a slight twinge of it, but never a fully. Well ive been feeling it pretty strong the last 2 weeks. Yesterday after lunch I got a full blown attack. Can't barely walk. The joys of getting older!