Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have to admit my exercise regiment has slowed since the season started. But that's because on my days off I'm mostly hunting instead of going to the gym. That being said, I am still very strict about my calorie intake every day. As a matter of fact, I lost 5lbs on my Ohio trip, not good. After the season is out I am going to concentrate more on strength training, as opposed to all the cardio I do now.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Westfinger likes this.
  2. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a good plan Jim. Time is definitely at a premium this time of year. The nice thing about just doing compounds is I can train to failure in a very short period of time.
    Glad to hear your diet has been on point. Thats where its at when it comes to body composition.

3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been fighting a foot injury for a couple months that has me off my routine. I'm hoping to get back to some higher impact/cardio exercise routines at the top of the year.

Westfinger likes this.
  4. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been back at it for 2 weeks now. Waking up at 4am for the gym has been brutal to say the least... Why is it so easy to get up at 4 to go hunting but going to the gym at 4 is pure hell?

I've been hitting the elliptical for 30 minutes, jogging a mile, and then some sort of weights every day.

We have been making healthy recipes using an InstantPot. Mostly different recipes using chicken breasts. We made Mississippi chicken on Sunday to meal prep for the week... One of my favorite recipes using chicken breasts I've had.

Ingredients
    • 2-3 lbs Chicken Thighs or Breasts* (Boneless/skinless. Fresh or frozen. Cut breasts in half, if possible)
    • 1/2 cup Chicken Broth, low sodium
    • 1/2 16oz jar Pepperoncinis (with juice) Leave whole or slice as desired
    • (1) 1oz packet Au Jus or Brown Gravy Mix (I like Au Jus best)
    • (1) 1oz packet Ranch Dressing/Seasoning Mix
    • 1/2 stick Butter (4 Tbsp) or more to taste (we used 1/2 stick low fat cream cheese instead of butter)
    Instructions
    1. Put chicken in the bottom of the inner pot of the pressure cooker. (If using chicken breasts, cut them in half, if possible).
    2. Add all of the other ingredients and close the lid and lock it in place. Turn the steam release knob to the sealing position.
    3. Press the Pressure Cook/Manual Button (or use dial) and use the + or - button to select 8 minutes (if using frozen breasts that you can't cut in half, set time to 15 minutes).
    4. When the cook time is finished, let the pot sit undisturbed for 5 minutes (5 minute Natural Release). Then turn the steam release knob to the Venting position to Quick Release the remaining steam/pressure.

We have also made a Mexican version using tomatoes, salsa, and other Mexican spices.

5. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My surgeon just released me for full activity to the limit I can stand. It is nice to be able to grab some weights again. They may not be very heavy, but its something. I have a goal of 179 lbs. by the end of February. Since breaking my wrists, I have had to do mostly core and leg stuff. I can honestly say that my core is stronger at 51 years old than it has ever been in my life. I used to struggle with back pain and my back going out on occasion. Now, not one single issue with the back.

The wrists are healed, but I am pretty limited on putting much weight on them when flexed. Still hurt like the day I broke them if I get too aggressive. Push-ups have to be done on fists, etc. Time will tell on how this all shakes out. I have found a whole new world of working out with the TRX system. If you have never looked into them, check it out. It looks like nothing, but it is an incredibly versatile system for working out all muscles in your body and takes up very little room. My trainer asked me to get one for our workout room and it was the best thing I ever did.

Some of you guys are doing some really impressive things. Keep it up! You will never regret being in shape and feeling good. It will save you a fortune in medical bills down the road also. Have a great and healthy 2019!

6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's great but the question remains... can you shoot a doe over a fence line

7. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Angry Neighbor.jpg

Sota, greatwhitehunter3 and MnHunterr like this.
  8. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot to include that I am forcing myself to drink a gallon or more of water every day and no beer during the week (Fridays are exceptions).

I started at 176lbs and hope to be somewhere around 160 by April.

dprsdhunter likes this.
  9. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    You are doing what I really need to do. Craft beer is my weakness. I have cut back, but it still seems like I have one about every night. I have put it down like you are doing for periods of time and the weight falls off pretty quickly.

MnHunterr likes this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I feel like a fat tub of dung, coming off a week of restaurant meals. My resolution to hit the excersise room at the hotel has not worked out. Watched the last year of hitler on the nat geo channel instead, even though I knew the ending.

11. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Don't spoil it for me. I haven't seen it yet. :evilgrin:

12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The family got a gym membership. So I've been pumping a little iron after years of not really doing anything but pushups, pullups, running, and lunges. Lol...been bored. So this has been a good change up

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

fletch920 likes this.
  13. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't hit the gym as regularly during the hunting season but I have been going regularly since it ended. The great part was my weight stayed the same. The bad part was, while I didn't lose any stamina, and was able to do as much cardio as I ever did, I do have some loss of strength. So my focus in the coming months will be to try to add more muscle. Not real easy at 64 but I know I can definitely get stronger.

Blessings...........Pastorjim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

fletch920 and virginiashadow like this.
  14. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've just started getting back into the gym myself. We were busy out of town alot this fall and with hunting season I slacked off alot. Also didn't help hirt lower back at work and something goin on with foot. Had to break down and go to Dr for that. Been getting back last week or two. Once get over the soreness it's not too bad ha. Sittin right around 235-240 right now but have actually been losing weight this winter which is usually the opposite being laid off I tend to sit around and eat alot. So far have kept that in check. Dont really lnow if have a goal yet except just try to get stronger and maybe burn some of the extra fat. Been having lower back problems over last couple years and that's main goal for now. So hopefully working to build some strength and losing some fluff around midsection will help.

One thing will add is wish about 6 or 7 year ago when messed up my shoulder playing softball would have went and got it looked at. Idk what I did and from everything read and talking to people about it might have been a rotator cuff or some other tendion issue, idk what the anatomy of a shoulder is ha, but there's always been tightness and not as much range of motion since it happen. And now that back to lifting can notice that side has less strength. Oh well, joys of aging I guess.

15. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    One foot is 95% the other about 60%. Had a disc problem that took about 10 days to settle down. This getting old stuff sucks.

Trying to ease back into some routine. Did about a 4 mile hike this morning with the dog.

Debating having a second burger for dinner...my wife is trying to make turnip fries with the air fryer...decent enough, but damn that burger was good.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My wife bought a magnetic rowing machine. When it arrived I asked her if she was going to buy a bunch of new clothes to hang on it. In all seriousness I like the machine it is quiet and does not hurt my hips.

dnoodles likes this.
  17. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Been hitting the gym steady but my diet has been absolutely terrible. I can't seem to get into a good "healthy" routine for whatever reason. Need to start meal prepping every Sunday to prevent myself from falling into the crappy foods every day.

dnoodles and wl704 like this.
  18. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm have trouble getting back on the train too. Still having foot problems and my diet is hit and miss.

19. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been hammering the gym. Back doing squats and really trying to strengthen my legs back up

dnoodles likes this.
  20. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea my diet has always sucked. The past three weeks I've been hitting gym 4 days a week. 2 heavy low rep days and 2 light high rep days. It's been goin good and find now I'm starting to "want" to go to the gym. Like today is my off day and I really wanna go but it's been working following program so gonna stick with it. Been hovering around 240 here lately. Cant seem to get below that but am just starting and actually losong weight isn't my goal. I'm actually trying to get bigger and overall stronger on PL lifts.