Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've learnt that I can drop or gain around 6-7 pounds a month (in a 20lb window) just by switching up my diet.

I always like to remember....Endurance is the key to health, but explosiveness is the key to survival. Can't remember where I heard that but I like it and it stuck with me.

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Started the day with a 2 mile run and burpees. I'm going to get this last 15 lbs off. Been saying it for 3 years now. Tired of it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m about to do the same!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

virginiashadow likes this.
  4. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    My goal is to be below 225 by Wed. That would put at a 15lb weight loss in the last few months. I haven't been below 225 in two years. After that it is on to 215...my target.

fletch920 and gri22ly like this.
  5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Brett, for you and Frankie...

Any room to cut high GI carbs (bread, rice, pasta and, yes, alcohol) from the diet or have y'all already cut?

Also let me recommens throwing in this simple beast in at least one per week...

Westfinger likes this.
  6. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds painful!
    I'm 31, 6'3" and was about 235 a month ago. I've been wanting to get down below 215 for a while, and finally committed to changing my diet and being a bit more active. I've dropped around 10 pounds, and a belt hole, but the biggest difference is the huge amount of motivation that I have, compared to where i was at before hand. I feel considerably better and am seriously looking at going into deer season healthier than I have in years

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Westfinger likes this.
  7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It does...the first time. And the second...and third...

I was 235-240, three years ago, but I'm only 5'9" (and change) at age 49. Hurt all the time...some due to old injuries.

I basically switched to a paleo/primal/keto like diet (except for my Friday pizza....mmmm) for most of the year. I also have been trying to get at least a 5 mile walk per day (if not a jogging and/or getting some other exercise in).

Others on here were a good motivation (I believe it was pastor jim who lost a LOT). I set a goal around 185 and a reward as a 50th present if it was met (an elk hunt with folks on this board). It's my new addictive goal and reward...I threw more strength, weight and crosstraining in this year. I gleaned some of the mtntough stuff from their vids.

182.5 today...my elk hunt starts with a cross country drive 2 weeks from today. Tues & Thurs are boot camp training days that start or end with at least an extra .5 mile run.

Set goals and beat them.[​IMG]

8. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't it absolutely amazing the strength and endurance you gain after you do this. I'm still amazed at the difference! Congrats to you!

Blessings...........Pastorjim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

wl704 likes this.
  9. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Good job WL! I would say over the past 6 months or so I've eliminated about 50% of the sugars in my diet. Hardly ever eat bread anymore. Have some things working against me. My body even at almost 44 remembers what I used to do and immediately starts packing on muscle when I train. I start getting really hungry bc of the muscle growth and eat. I have to always combat that cycle. Another thing is I work midnights. I'm eating when my metabolism is the slowest.

I'll watch the video you posted and I really appreciate it. 215 lbs for me would be a great weight. Strong enough to take care of business at work yet a lot lighter than I was at 240lbs. I'm running and walking a lot more and it is helping. Was exhausted today and still forced myself to walk 2 miles and do 50 burpees. Just have to keep at it.

10. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You can do it man...one other thing I found helps is to slam like 8-16oz of h2o anytime you're tempted to eat/snack.

The cardio over weights may help (a bit) avoid bulking up.

4:30am daily is when I had to squeeze in my exercise (course I'm not working graveyard)...but it does also help in waking up for hunting season. ;)

11. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Good point about water. I've tried to get better at drinking water but I sometimes I get dehydrated for a couple days at a time. Hot and humid and I'm outside a good amount at work with gear that doesnt breathe. I walked a mile at 4am yesterday morning in a church parking lot. Lol

Wiscohunter likes this.
  12. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wl704-thanks for posting that video. I enjoy mixing in workouts like that from time to time. I agree on the drinking water. I drink sparking water all day. A little bit of carbonation makes it a little more interesting to drink and filling.

Viginashadow- Gaining muscle is a good thing. Its more metabolically active tissue that will help with weight loss. Feeling hungry happens when your in a caloric deficit. My suggestion is to look for low calorie foods that are filling to keep you feeling full longer. Spaghetti squash anyone?

13. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    # disclaimer I'm not a vegetarian, but...

Spaghetti squash, top with some heated crushed tomatoes, some parmesan cheese and toasted pine nuts...one of my fav veg meals.

14. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds tasty. I'm not that fancy. I just add some ground venison low cal pasta sauce to it. Boom big plate of low calorie food.

15. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well considering I started this thread here's an update on my fitness these past few months. All last year I tried to bulk up for the first time in my life. Ate like a pig, whey protein shakes, creatine, the whole 9 yards. I ended up gaining about 16 pounds and some decent strength (for me). Well I got sick of lifting, bought a road bike and will probably get about 2000 miles in this year and feel great. Only down side is I have virtually no upper body muscle. Lol. It's a lot more fun than lifting as well.

Westfinger likes this.
  16. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Good job, any recommendations on a good bike seat? I've tried adjusting mine a bunch of different ways but i can't seem to go more than 20 miles without it getting uncomfortable. The wife and I enjoy riding but being uncomfortable takes the fun out of it.

17. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Seats are tough because everyone has a differant feel if you know what I mean. There are plenty that have a slit cut out in the "taint" region to help with blood flow. There is also a brand by the name of Ism that makes a seat that puts the pressure your butt bones instead of the more sensitive regions. A good pair of bike shorts might help more than anything though.

Westfinger likes this.
  18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you guys are all doing well with your journeys. So congrats to those who are hard after it!

I put on about 12 lbs between October of last year and Spring of this year. Back in June I started really watching my diet a lot more closely and like many others have cut out a significant portion of carbs from my diet. I have some cream/sugar in my coffee in the mornings but outside of that very little pasta, bread or sweets. My diet primarily consists of meat and veggies at this point.

I also started lifting before my cardio workouts instead of after them, and switched to early morning workouts instead of after work. I do mostly free weights with very limited exercises on machines anymore. For cardio I've been hitting the Stair Master more and the elliptical less. I typically hit the gym at least 3 times per week with 45 minutes of lifting followed by 45 minutes of cardio.

So far I've dropped those 12 lbs and was just a tick under 194 this morning. Just over a year ago I was slightly over 230. My immediate goal is to lose those last 4 lbs this month and be sub-190 by the start of hunting season. I don't believe I've been under 190 in about 15 years. Getting there slowly but surely.

19. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great job on your part. I think you can really tell your weight loss when we see you on TV. Just a little advice from an old man. Do this while you're young because it's not easy after you get older. Continued success to you.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

20. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Believe me - I already feel that. Losing weight at 38 isn't nearly as easy as it was in my 20's. I feel like I have to eat half as much and work out twice as hard to see results in twice the time.

Fix and virginiashadow like this.