Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Took almost two weeks off between vacation and tweaking my rotator cuff at my son's baseball practice. Got in my first workout of my 40s this morning. Eased up the weights on squats a little because I am helping a friend move this evening after work in 90*

Back Squat 3 x 6 @185lbs
    KB Single-leg deadlift 3 x 8/leg @35lbs
    KB Reverse Lung 3 x 8/leg @35lbs
    KB Swing 3 x 12 @100lbs
    TRX Single leg squat 3 x 8
    Calf Press 3 x 12 @90lbs

virginiashadow and pastorjim08 like this.
  2. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got the treadmill up and running again. Keeping the mileage low for now until my joints get back into the routine. It was great adding a couple miles to my workouts last week.

Rode the spin bike for an hour this morning. Hack squats, OHP, leg extensions, leg curls, bad girls, lateral raises, push downs, and Glute bridges this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been out of the gym since Thursday. Thursday night I came down with a very stuffy head, cough, and eyes watering beyond belief. And whatever this is, it has completely sapped all my energy, I've even been taking naps. I've covid tested twice but it's negative, so I don't know what it is but it has overstayed its welcome.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I had no idea what a bad girl was and had to look it up. I always wondered what that machine was called! lol

5. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Went 3.5 miles today. Started with a 7:30 mile and then switched to running/walking.

Weighed myself for the first time in a very long time and came in at 171 (no surprise). I've been this weight for such a long time I don't expect anything more/less. Even when I stop exercising and eat real bad I don't think I've ever been over 175. Going to try and watch my diet really close the next few weeks and see where I'm at in a month.

6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ride #13

Another tough Tuesday night ride. But it feels so great to complete a long ride like this and still feel strong. Hard to believe that I've only done 13 rides. I started at around 12 miles on first ride and hurting, to now pushing around 30 miles. My training and fueling is really paying off. I ate almost 1000 calories while on the bike last night and had no problems. Just tons of energy. Next goal is try a 40 mile ride. Screenshot_20230607_121240_Strava.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Those are some serious rides!! We don't have anywhere near that sort of elevation change around these parts.

How long does a ride like that take you?

8. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    3 hours on the bike. But do stop and talk to other riders once and awhile. So maybe 3:15 - 3:30.

virginiashadow likes this.
  9. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh and this park only has around 300 feet elevation change over whole park, just lots of trails to ride. Not completely sure of exact numbers, but think around 80 miles of trail.

10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    3 hours of doing anything physical is no joke! We did an office challenge over the winter where we all rode 50 miles on our stationary bikes and it took me 2.5 hours at a pretty fast pace. I was spent by the end.

11. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How fast did Todd complete it in?
    #CaptianCardio

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I did look up Todd on strava. He does alot of Zwift rides. Did see he does a few 40 mile road rides. Think he was around 20mph average, so taking him 2 hours or so.

13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Todd rode a full 100 miles that day - in somewhere around 4 hours 20 minutes if I recall. And he does it on a trainer that simulates real road conditions with elevation changes. I did my 50 on a flat road while I was watching Netflix. :lol:

Holt likes this.
  14. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's about impossible for me to ride on the trainer. I just can't get into it. When I do I force my self. I wish I liked it more definitely helps on those day you are short time.

100 miles on a trainer just sounds brutal to me! Todd is a machine!

Fix likes this.
  15. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    I just can't win sometimes. My shins have had a dull pain in them and yesterday it was a bit worse after my run. Fine, I'll listen to my body and just walk today. Walked 5.5 miles and now I've got a real nice blister on my left heel. Weird because it's real low on the heel. Usually, it's on my Achilles. Think it's actually time for some new shoes.

For those that bike. Could I just get any old bike from Scheels, etc if I wanted something to ride to take the stress off my shins/feet?

Holt likes this.
  16. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got to be careful of department store bikes. They work if your just out for a cruise, but lack if using for more performance based exercise. If your looking at Mountain bikes, watch out because most have a sticker on them say "not for offroad use" haha. As a new rider I would look for a used bike. Something 4 or 5 years old or less. Get more and better bike for less cost. There are alot of covid bikes out there right now. Most important is to get a bike that is sized to you.

What type of bike you looking for? Mountain, road, gravel?

17. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    I just need an all around bike… one I can ride on tar and gravel. Nothing fancy just something I can get some cardio in when I don’t want to stress my legs. Not going to be doing 30+ mile rides weekly haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holt likes this.
  18. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A mountain bike is the most universal. Can get tires that are more for road riding with less tread, then it will be more efficient. Then also if you decide to ride gravel, it works perfect for that. MTB are widely available. Gravel specific bikes are more of a niche thing and usually harder to find and cost more.

Hey I said the same thing once before, now I love riding. Plus it's much better on the knees over running. Before you know it you will be out on 40 mile rides with Todd! Haha

MnHunterr likes this.
  19. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hit shoulders and arms yesterday, taking it easy with walking for an hour on my lunch break today. Tomorrow, deadlifting for the first time in almost three weeks.

Fix and pastorjim08 like this.
  20. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Back to the gym this morning for the first time since last Thursday. I felt a little drained after about an hour so I stopped. I don't know what I had but it sure sapped my strength. Feeling better so I hope I can get back to the normal workout quickly.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk