Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I give all credit to the Dr and the theapists.

virginiashadow likes this.
  2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bow + arrows + treestand + high-powered green flashlight = problem solved

virginiashadow likes this.
  3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't forget your WB

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Ridgerunner3 and cantexian like this.
  4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    End of Month 2. 239.2 to start and now 237.8. Second month in a row where I've lost 1.3 to 1.4 lbs. I need to up that to 2 to 3lbs per month. Discipline myself on the sugar.

5. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    We had a dying oak tree cut down in November. I have been letting the logs dry out for a few months. Went to work with the axe for a couple hours this afternoon, building up a stack wood for the annual spring break camping trip with the family. Overnight lows are going to be right around freezing. Should be our coldest camping trip since we did Yellowstone back in 2020.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    75 Hard - Day 41. I'm down 15 lbs as of this morning, but I was feeling a little dehydrated when I woke up, so I'm going to say 1-2 lbs of that is probably water weight. We'll see how the rest of this week shakes out. I believe I'm still on track for a 22-25 lb total weight loss.

I did tweak something in my hip last week that's been bugging me, so I'm not doing any squats or deadlifts right now. And my bike sessions have been more for endurance than intervals. I'm trying to give this thing a little bit of time to heal up, which is tough when you're doing two workouts a day.

Also, in a strange turn of events, I'm beginning to really enjoy my outdoor hikes, especially when the weather is crappy. I have no idea why, but there's something about being out on a cold, windy, rainy night when nobody else is around that's very soothing.

7. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    That is confidence being built. Your brain is subconsciously realizing that you are becoming tougher than those around you and it likes it.

Justin and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  8. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Holy Hanna and her little dog Tobi, I'm spent !
    I shoveled the drive , around garage 20 yrds either side of mail box.
    The biggest all body work out with wet snow since getting sick a month ago. Nearly3hrs straight.Thank God hubby plowed yesterday. Still snowing with another 3-5 due

9. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Monday: 6 rounds in 45 minutes
    1 minute sprint on bike
    1 minute sprint on rower
    200 yard sled drag @125lbs

Tuesday 3 rounds:
    Barbell Back Squat 3 x 6 @ 225, 225, 250
    Single Leg RDL 3 x 8/leg @40lbs KB
    Reverse Lunge 3 x 8/leg @40lbs KB
    KB Swings 3 x 12 @100lbs
    TRX Single-Leg Squat 3 x 8/leg
    Calf press 3 x 12 @70lbs

Wednesday: Upper Body Lift

Westfinger, pastorjim08 and Justin like this.
  10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I did some one-rep max leg stuff on Weds, so my quads were a bit tender last night and this morning. For that reason, I did a normal hike last night without weights, but in the pouring rain at 9 pm. That's always a good time! Then I did 15 miles on the stationary bike this morning while watching a TV show on my iPad. Nothing too crazy, just a low-resistance constant 20 mph pace. My legs are feeling pretty good right now, so I may do a weighted ruck after I get off work tonight and hopefully a hard kettlebell circuit tomorrow.

Today is Day 45 of 75 Hard and I'm down 17 lbs. :nana:

11. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Today Trap Bar Deadlifts with 30 second plank: 145lbs x 5, 235lbs x 3, 285lbs x 2, 325lb x1 375lbs x 1, 415lbs x 1, 430lbs x 1, 350lbs x 5

Finished with 25 pull ups and 25 push ups

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I finally got my new shoes and put in the custom inserts that have me standing correctly. I am doing single leg dips and stretches and holding, simple core strength and flexibility. The shoes and inserts make a huge difference much more stability. Once my feet get used to the inserts I will be getting closer to maintance. My hip pain is gone the pain down my leg gone, cramping if I stretch in my semi sleep gone.

13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    75 Hard - Day 49 update. Total weight lost; 19.4 lbs

I've been feeling great the past two weeks or so. Most of the constant soreness I had early on has dissipated, and I only have minor aches in my knees occasionally. All things considered, I feel amazing. My diet has been on point, and I've burned through quite a bit of the venison in my freezer over the past month and a half. :lol:

The biggest thing for me on this journey was to find a diet that not only worked for the 75-day challenge but one that I could continue afterward without having to modify. So instead of going full Keto and giving up all carbs, I embraced eating "good" carbs and minimizing processed foods. Eating things like rice, sweet potatoes, oats/oatmeal, and whole grain bread has been great for helping to reduce food cravings and giving me the energy to power through tough workouts. Meal prepping my lunches has probably made the most significant difference in my overall diet, and it's not bad on the bank account, either! Eating out all the time gets expensive.

Today was a solid kettlebell circuit followed by a quick core workout. 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest, 1 minute between circuits. 5 total circuits As many reps as possible for each movement in those 20 seconds. Total circuit time is just about 30 minutes. Add in a 5-minute warmup before and 10 minutes of core work at the end to get 45 minutes. 615 calories burned according to my heart rate monitor.

Warmup
    4 sets of 30 jumping jacks
    High knees for 30 seconds
    20 push ups
    Light resistance band work

Kettlebell circuit
    Single-arm kettlebell swing - right
    Single-arm kettlebell swing - left
    Single-arm overhead press - right
    Single-arm overhead press - left
    Goblet squats
    Single-arm bent over row - right
    Single-arm bent over row - left
    Kettlebell halo
    Reverse lunge - right
    Reverse lunge - left
    1 minute rest
    5 total circuits

Core work - 2 circuits of 3 exercises
    Leg scissors x 30 seconds
    25 sit-ups
    Russian twists x 20

14. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    @Justin that's awesome!

I pulled/strained my mid back, right side last week and tweaked something on my right front, just below my pectoral minor. I still can't lay down on a bench, so working around those has sucked! I have no idea how I hurt myself. I was doing skull crushers and all I can think of is swinging the weight up as I laid down must've done something weird.

15. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you got it going on now. Keep up the solid work!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

16. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Two months of increasingly harder training forced me to back it down a bit last week. I didn't lift weights at all or run. I walked 10 miles and worked on stretching. Last couple of days I've run 3 Miles and have lifted. Glad I backed down bc my overall pain and swelling levels are much lower. Here in a few weeks Ill be about 40% through my 6 month goal. Going to try and walk/run 8 miles in 2 hours to see how it feels.

cantexian, Justin and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    In all of my podcast listening that I've been doing, one thing has come up multiple times regarding recovery, which is doing a "deload" week. You continue to do the same amount of sets and reps but use 50-60% of the weight you typically use. Or you use the same amount of weight and decrease reps by 50-60% for a full week.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have learned that flexibility and core strength are as important as any other exercise. I am working on one legged lifts and stretches on one foot it is kinda almost yoga like, I work up a sweat. Cardio starts soon.

19. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with that and when I was younger I used to do something different to jump start myself when I was overtrained. Take 3 days off then 2 very intense workouts over the next 4 days. Cut all reps and set in half/workout duration in half but ramp the intensity. Could be as simple as super setting a few diff exercises and completing a workout in 20mins. Hard and short.

20. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well it's that time of year for me to join back in. Going to continue my mountain bike training and maybe do a couple races again. Going to be all cross-country trail riding.

This evening was first ride of the year. Did better then last year, for my first ride. But I lost a lot since last August. Got a long way to go.

1 hour 26 minutes on the bike
    12.7 miles
    8.8 mph average.

Edit for weight. 185.5 lbs

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023