Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    8 minute pace is actually really good, man. I hate running, but I can still pull off a 5k. I guarantee I wouldn't get below a 10 min pace though. Lol. Keep at it.

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trap Bar Deadlifts for sets of 4 reps: 145, 235, 285, 325, 375, 405
    30 second plank and 1 minute of jump rope after each set

pastorjim08 likes this.
  3. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Solid work, stay after it VS! I’m a turtle but I don’t care. Embrace the suck. When my wife ran a marathon last fall I bet 1/3 of the field was over 50. You can do it, it just sucks more as you get older!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My dad was a marathon runner and quite competitive. He didn't start running until he was in his 40's. When he first started he couldn't run a whole mile. I remember watching him at a race. It was a 1 mile race down Wilmington street. He was in the lead pack with some college runners. He ended up getting 3rd place with a time around 4:45. Craziest thing I've ever seen. This was when he was in his 50's. So never to late to start. He said good race running shoes where the biggest improvement he had, besides conditioning.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

wl704 and virginiashadow like this.
  5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I switched up my training to meet my life goals. Be fit, lose weight and maintain an acceptable weight (prob 215-220lbs for my frame) so I can age a little better/joints/you know the deal. I am forging ahead with my 24mile run/walk plans for this summer. Should be in a great base shape for fall bow season when I can accomplish my goal.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hate to be that guy because I am not. When I started my treatment I was given Tumeric, for inflamation, Another that is a joint supplement and another that is fish oil. Do you use anything? I do not even take advil anymore.

ash d, oldnotdead and virginiashadow like this.
  7. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    It's all good Sota. If you have a good suggestion I'm all ears. No, currently I don't take any medication or supplements. I would be willing to give both supplements you suggested a try.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't go to a GNC or fitness sites heck go to walmart and try the suplements for a month to see if they work. Turmeric it is a natural anti inflamitory. Omega +D fish oil and cod liver oil combined, go with the citrus flavor, your burps later will thank you. Last is any suplement like condrorition that lubricates the joints. Like I said go to walmart and try it for a month.

virginiashadow likes this.
  9. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Go to Wilderness Athlete’s website, buy high quality supplements from a company that is very prohunting. I am on a monthly subscription for their multivitamin and I also use midnight build, buy as needed. I can send you a promo code for 10% off your first order.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
  10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If you guys are into podcasts, Andrew Huberman's podcast is awesome when it comes to things like exercise, fat loss, supplementation, etc. One of the supplements that is relatively cheap and has a ton of benefits (especially for those who lift and work out) is creatine monohydrate. 5g a day will really do you wonders.

Also, I've started taking 2 scoops of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides every day, and my joints have never felt better. I won't say that all pain is gone and I never get sore, but it's significantly better than it was just a month or two ago.

I'll be halfway through 75 Hard on Thursday. Still kicking ass and taking names. :woot:

11. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Today's Workout:

7 Rounds in 45 minutes

1 minute sprint on bike
    1 minute sprint on rower
    1 minute of jump rope
    115lb Sled Drag for 150 yards

Westfinger, Ridgerunner3 and Justin like this.
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Full clearance to do any work out I want been over 25 years since nothing hurts when at rest.

13. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Hubberman is doing more for the healthy American than anybody in the health field. How he got there is very interesting too. Glad to hear you are kicking butt with your program. Seems intense.

14. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Leg day. Lord, help me.

ash d, Westfinger and cantexian like this.
  15. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Forgive him Father for he has sinned, he ignored legs during his twenties and his knees are paying for it in his 40s. :lol:

16. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Ha! Ignored them in my 30s so I still have knees. Between running and being a pro tree climber, legs were never lacking. Now days, as a desk jockey, I kinda have to hit em. Still hate it tho.

cantexian likes this.
  17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Leg day has become my favorite day at the gym. Once you get them broken in and get over the phase of not being able to sit down on the toilet without groaning in pain, it's not bad. I actually did legs this morning.

- 20 minute warm up on the elliptical to get the blood flowing and break a sweat. About 2.75 miles, half of it forward, the other half reverse. I wanted to warm up on the stair bastard, but they were all occupied today. :mad:
    - Weighted box step-ups with a knee raise at the top. These are a mother*****. I start off with no weight to stretch the legs a bit, then do 60 lbs, 80 lbs and end with 100 lbs. I do this on a cable machine with an adjustable base. My last set is with the base all the way up as high as it will go. Today I only got 5 per side before I felt like I was dying. Few things spike my heart rate quite as much as a couple of decently fast sets of these.
    - Leg curls on the machine - good for the hammies.
    - Calf raises
    - Farmer carries with a plate in each hand. The indoor track at my gym is 1/8 of a mile. I do two laps with a 20-second break in between to try and get some feeling back in my hands. :lol:
    - Leg press. Today was 435 lbs x 4 sets of 10.

I skipped squats and lunges today since I'm going my kettlebell workout tomorrow. That is a lot of swings, squats, reverse lunges so I'll hit those tomorrow.

Tonight's workout will be a regular hike without weights. I rucked the last two nights so it's time for a bit of a "break".

Ridgerunner3 and pastorjim08 like this.
  18. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Did two minutes of jump rope, 10 pull ups, and 10 push ups as a part of the warm up.

Main workout, 3 rounds:

5 Pull Ups
    5 Push Ups
    Barbell Back Squat x 6 reps @225lbs
    KB Single Leg RDL x 8 reps/leg @40lbs
    KB Reverse Lunges x 8 reps/leg @40lbs
    KB Swings x 21 reps @100lbs
    TRX Single Leg Squats x 8 reps/leg
    Seated Calf Raises x 12 reps @70lbs
    1 minute of Jump Rope

pastorjim08 likes this.
  19. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    That is phenomenal. Constant pain can lead to so many issues, most notably depression. It wears one down relentlessly. Good job Sota!

Sota likes this.
  20. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Longest run yet last night. 48minutes. I'm buying myself a new pair of running shoes for the first time in 6 years. Lol

Weird thing happened on my run last night. I live in a dense suburban area and close to some railroad tracks. By the park there is like 3 to 4 wooded acres. As I was running last night I heard a den of coyotes erupt not 50 yds off the road in the middle of that wooded area. Never heard them before and I'm not sure I like those things so close to the many dogs and cats that live in my neighborhood.

pastorjim08, cantexian and Sota like this.