Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I believe between the 3 treatments last week and the Ligaplex, Tumeric Forte, and Fish oil and cod liver oil supplements I am starting to feel less stiff and not as much pain.

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    MSN and collagen peptides Just an idea worth a look. You can save some cash by using beef gelatin instead of the peptides. MSN Course flakes actually does help with joint pain.

P.s. do check with Dr. Due to meds reactions

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dr gave me the supplements, I will take them, cautiously optimistic at this point, I understand they take time to fully work.

oldnotdead likes this.
  4. entropyfx

entropyfx Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There is a veggie protein pasta that's not a bad alternative, if pasta is your weakness.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My weight and diet is not the issue, even though I am not currently excersizing but I am not fat, matter of fact I could use a few pounds I am about 15 pounds lighter than my prime.

TJF and entropyfx like this.
  6. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Started doing just push ups and sit-ups for a couple minutes each day. Not good at controlling what I eat so I’m hoping to build a little muscle

Westfinger, Justin and virginiashadow like this.
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Core strength is key

entropyfx likes this.
  8. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got 1.9 miles of walking in this morning. No sheds to show for it because some twit bag ( son ) can't stay in his area. Stole two from me. He is running circles around me and probably has about 6 miles in verses my 1.9. Having fun though. Went through a couple nasty tree belts. Getting a lot of bending and stepping over stuff in so a bit of a workout.

Justin, virginiashadow and Sota like this.
  9. entropyfx

Dislikes Received:
    That was to Justin, sorry!!

10. entropyfx

Dislikes Received:
    Deadlifts and rows, lot of back stuff today. Feels good to really start increasing weight across the board. Just fun to feel strong again.

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Pasta isn't really my weakness; I can avoid it and not really miss it with a little bit of willpower. Although it's one of my wife's favorite things, so she makes it a lot, which makes it tough to avoid. My problem is sweets. I have a thing for Oreos. :lol:

6 days into 75 Hard, and I'm feeling good so far. My legs have finally recovered from last week's overzealous leg day, so I'm back to full speed again. I have achy old man knees, but that's nothing new. Last Friday night it was 3 degrees when I did my weighted ruck, which was a pleasure! Nothing like a frozen beard.

One of the guys I coach baseball with turned me on to this website and YouTube channel for meal prepping, so I'm starting to do that. It's a lot easier if I prep my stuff for the week so I don't have to think about it. Fewer chances of slipping up.

This week's lunch - https://mealprepmanual.com/salsa-verde-beef-bowls/

TJF, virginiashadow and pastorjim08 like this.
  12. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You make good points about meal prepping. I always did research when choosing a place to eat out to make sure I could stay within my calorie parameter. It sure made for less temptation when I would go to a place. The same applies at home. I wish you continued success!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

13. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had mentioned in the LFTS thread that I am "wintering" in Florida-gee that sounds aristocratic! Anyway, in coming down here I had to find a gym because I refuse to be here for a few months and not work out. I joined the local planet fitness and learned something the first day. I think I had become kind of complacent at home in my home gym. I have workout buddies and friends there and some days you spend more time socializing and not enough time working. That's OK I guess, along as it doesn't become habit. I also found that I was not pushing myself at home. Rather, I would just work until my buds were done and then I'd leave as well. Here, no one speaks and they are, for the most part, pretty unfriendly. I don't like that but it has caused me to be more focused. When I get home I want to continue to challenge myself but I don't want to become isolated either. It's just something I'll keep in mind when that time comes.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Westfinger, TJF, ash d and 2 others like this.
  14. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Had a slower week last week bc I got mildly sick mid week. I still got in 2 decent workouts and 2 easy ones. Not going to weigh myself but once a month. I want to enjoy the process of training hard again and eating better.

15. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Waiting around for some used weights to show up on Craigslist. Don’t really want to spend the money probably because I’m not fully committed but if it were a new bow or gun I would have bought it already. Push-ups and sit-ups it will be for awhile.

16. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Smart move. Weight prices are off the hook. We have a used weight place around here....40% of original costs and in good shape.

17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Keep an eye on FB marketplace. Around here, it's flush with all sorts of weights and other workout equipment. I've contemplated purchasing a used rowing machine and setting it on my deck for some of my outdoor workouts when I need to give my knees a rest.

If you wanted to pick up one weight that you can do a ton of stuff with and will kick your butt - get a kettlebell. Those things are no joke, and they open up a ton of options for at-home workouts. I started with a 30 and realized that was too much for me at the time, so I also picked up a 20. Doesn't seem like much but trust me, they will give you a hell of a workout. And there are a ton of routines on YouTube that you can follow for free.

Oh, and I've been going to the same gym for probably 4 years now, and don't think I know a single person there. The 5 am crew is pretty much the same 2o or 30 people day in and day out, and most of them don't talk to one another. We just nod and go about our business. Personally speaking, I don't mind that. I've found when I go to the gym with a buddy, I spend too much time chatting and not enough time getting down to business.

entropyfx, ash d, cantexian and 2 others like this.
  18. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Upper body work today for chest, shoulders and triceps. Tonight I am going to make my boys start doing pull ups and push ups at home, they asked me to. I am also going to teach them a couple of exercises to improve arm strength and hitting strength with baseball season coming up in a couple of months.

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  19. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know why you guys go to the gym. All's you need to do is inherit a horse and live in North Dakota. You get to pick and throw 1000's of 65 lb hay bales in the summer. Hundreds of straw bales in the fall. They are light and much more fun to handle! With a horse it is almost a 365 day work out of some kind. Living here you get to blow a lot of snow to keep the run going to the poop pile. Snow is usually 2 feet deep and hard packed. Blow it one day and the wind fills it back up the next day with snow.

The morning routine was walking into the barn to see that she had busted out of her stall. She had sh!t all over the alley way in the barn. Course that made it easier to pick her stall. She still manages to poop in there 3 times, but it wasn't all scattered over like it usually is. I think in her previous life she was a soccer player and a d@mned good one from what I see in her stall!! :eek2:

Then we moved on to resistant training. Arabella is very impatient, wants out of the barn and her morning oats. She stands in your way, so you are pushing her to get out of the way while you get the oats. Then you open the gate to let her out. She is taking her big horse snout and pushing on the back of you, your shoulders or trying to knock you hat off. I have a very impatient wife, so I am used to it.

Then I load the wheel barrel up. I suppose full and the weight of the wheel barrel, it is around 50 lbs total. Glad it has wheels. Roughly a hundred yards to the poop pile. Downhill once you get out of the barn. Really glad it isn't uphill when it is full. Last night the wind/snow filled in the last 10 feet of the run to the pile. Was packed so drug it up and over to the pile. Emptied it. Back to the barn empty.

Results of my daily workout speaks for itself. I have had the horse for a little over a year. Weighed 245 lbs. Today I weigh 194 lbs. 7 lbs off from my high school weight when I graduated. And you guys go to a gym?? :confused:

cantexian, entropyfx and Sota like this.
  20. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    There are hot chicks at the gym.

Westfinger likes this.