Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't posted much on this thread. September has been a crap shoot for workouts. I was on staycation the week of Labor Day with my parents in town. Took off a day and half the week after that because of my son's was sick. Off yesterday with a sick kid again. I have been lucky to get three workouts a week in.

On the plus side, I picked up a Fitbit a few days ago. If it is accurate, I average about 16,000 steps per day and burn about 3100 calories while only consuming around 2100-2200. If I wasn't coaching Flag Football three days per week, I don't would be that high.

entropyfx likes this.
  2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    3 days down without a drop for SoberOctober. Dropped 5# since Friday (doing F3 workouts also.) Been doing F3 for quite awhile but had hit a wall with the weight loss.

Crazy how fast the LBs drop when you do a little exercise and cut the carbs.

virginiashadow and pastorjim08 like this.
  3. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Monday Workout:

5 rounds with 115lbs on the bar, two minute rest between rounds

Power Clean x 1
    Push Press x 2
    Lunges x 3/leg
    Barbell Row x 4
    Stiff-leg deadlift x 5
    Pullups x 5
    Pushups x 5
    Rope Slams x25

5 rounds, no rest between rounds

H.S. Chest Press @ 100lbs x 8
    Rope Face Pulls @ 50lbs x 12
    120 yard Sled Drags @ 90lbs

virginiashadow and pastorjim08 like this.
  4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Think I need to start hitting the treadmill, procrastinate much?, to get where I overshoot my end goal knowing I'll put more on when I go back to a normal diet restricting calories to maintain. Excercise is what I'm lacking other than some weight lifting for the arms.

I've stopped seeing physical changes for the most part, at the start I could see the slimming down. Now I rely on the scale to show I'm still on track, but tonight I seen definitive results. When I was toweling off after shower I can see veins in my forearms, spidering veins. I haven't seen those in a long time, decade with a possible plural.

2 weeks I should be under 200 for the first time in I don't know how long. I can't do this low carb thing forever, I just hope restricting calories will be enough. If not I'll try something like 150 carbs or less and try to find that balance.

pastorjim08 and dnoodles like this.
  5. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you restrict calories in the right amount it will be enough to sustain your weight loss. Calorie counting and exercise was all I ever did. When I began, almost eight years ago, I restricted myself to 1500 calories at first. When I reached my goal, I increased it to 1800 but I was still losing. After that I increased to 2100. Now I have sustained my weight for nearly eight years. IMO calorie counting is so much easier and much less restrictive. And it's something you can do for the rest of your life. Great job so far for you. I wish you continued success in your journey.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

entropyfx, Westfinger and cls74 like this.
  6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting, so you didn't do any sort of modified diet or low carbs?

I did similar bavk in 2012 or thereabouts and lost 19lbs just by tracking everything I ate and staying below a calorie threshold. Didn't stick to it and gained it all back plus some.

This time I wanted to obtain ketosis so I was burning fat for the loss.

I think I may try to switch it up a little, I miss good food and eating exclusively low carb is damn expensive.

7. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I never did count carbs or anything else except calories. To me, and this is just my opinion, one of the attractions of low carb diets was people were being told that as long as they ate low carb, they could eat as much as they wanted of certain foods. There is a very small amount of validity to that. However, when you do that, you never really get your appetite under control and that's really the enemy of weight loss. I learned that after I got my appetite under control, which took me about three weeks, I really didn't have the same cravings or desired as much as I did before. The thing with counting calories is it doesn't restrict you from any type of food, it just has to fit into your daily count. Now having said that, there are things to definitely avoid, such as chips and etc, because the return for calories is so low and you don't want to waste your calories on things like that. But really, once you start counting the calories and see so few restrictions on what you can eat, it's really much easier. It's really just math. Calories in, calories burned.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

entropyfx likes this.
  8. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly, I still track everything I eat but have it down to where I know I'm staying well below 20 carbs. Just have to do the same thing and not worry about carbs and just keep calories at bay. Prrtty simple using an app.

I'm pretty much down to one meal a day as it is and don't have any real cravings. I don't think I'll ever go back to sugar though.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cheat meal, reward meal or whatever you call it. I won't be in ketosis any longer, but easy enough to get back in it. Staying under 1200 calories though.

Just hope it doesn't make me sick :lol:

Screenshot_20221012-112156.jpg

10. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    You need more protein to maintain muscle as you lose bodyfat or you will lose both. Try for 0.75 -1.0 grams of protein per day. Losing muscle will ultimately slow down your metabolism, making it easier to regain the weight.

entropyfx and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I usually hit my protein and sometimes over shoot it.

Not understandung your .75-1.0 grams. Are you saying the 112 grams it has targeted is not enough? I have protein shakes at home for when I need a boost without overloading calories.

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Here's what yesterday looked like, I was hungry last night for aome reason amd overshot my self indulged goal of 1200 calories. Still under the app reccomendation fir losing 1.5lbs a week.

Screenshot_20221012-120622.jpg

13. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, .75 -1.0 grams per pound of body weight when cutting carbs. As an example, if you weigh 200lbs, you would want 150 -200 grams of protein per day, while cutting calories from carbs and fats to hit the low calorie goal, in order to preserve muscle mass.

cls74 likes this.
  14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Gotcha, so let me ask this. Is too much protein akin to overdoing calories or carbs?

15. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Not so long as your total calories for the day are on target. On the other hand, too much protein powder may have you spending the day on the porcelain throne.

entropyfx likes this.
  16. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Eh...my coffee intake has that covered.

cantexian likes this.
  17. entropyfx

entropyfx Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I usually shoot for 150 g of protein daily, I'm 300 lbs now. We'll 301, just shy of the goal.

My focus is protein for every snack, food, or meal. Reduce the carbs. Reduce fat. Goal calories usually about 2300, but I do pushes some weeks to 2000.

Try to always hit protein within an hour of working out.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Ridgerunner3 and pastorjim08 like this.
  18. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I was more ocd about keeping a log or account of what I do every workout. I knew a body builder (he was a former bb when I knew him) and he kept a notebook and wrote down every workout; reps, weight the whole shabangabang to track things. I'm doing good just to hit the weights, but I still wish I had kept track of my journey over the last 10 months.

entropyfx likes this.
  19. entropyfx

entropyfx Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There are a lot of apps out there to do it!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  20. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    kill more protein.

entropyfx likes this.