And we're off!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rory/MO, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My dad, my brother, and I are just about done getting everything loaded in the truck for the weekend:d.
    It's the youth deer season in Missouri this weekend, so most likely I'll be using the smokepole. I may break out the bow tomorrow morning though, we'll see.
    We're also meeting my two best friends up there, so I should have some harvest photos by the end of the weekend. I'll have some good pictures of evreything though, you can hold me to that;).
    I will have internet access in the motel all weekend, so I'll keep you guys updated for sure.

Wish us luck, and good luck to everyone that's getting out this weekend!

2. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Motel?? What kind of hunting trip Is that??;) Just giving you a hard time Rory!

I wish you guys all the best of luck!!:cool:

3. Zdeerslayer

Zdeerslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Rory, I'm looking forward to the pics.

4. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Rory. Keep us all updated:d

5. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Rory and share those stories created when you get back.

6. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This weekend was ROUGH to say the least. Absolutely no deer movement. I hunted a total of 8 hours on Saturday without seeing a SINGLE deer. I was in stands that we normally see at least 5 deer a sit. It really takes a toll on you sitting that long without seeing a deer, when you're spoiled like I've been. My brother saw a yote, and passed on a spike Saturday morning.

Sunday was a new day, or so we thought. Zero deer sighted Sunday morning also. So we sat around the truck middle of the day Sunday, and decided that we needed a change of scenery. So we picked up shop, and headed to my Grandpa's farm. A square mile of deer heaven. It was only a couple counties away, and much closer to home.

We get out there, get stands picked, and once again, off we go. Both sitting on field edges that more often than not, deer come out in the evenings. Well with the sun starting to set, looking down at my phone watching the battery dwendle away as I text my brother about what we're gonna do opening weekend of rifle season, I look over my right shoulder, and out pops a slender doe. And another, and another, and another. It looked like a 2.5-3.5 year old doe, with three that were born this summer. Boy was my heart racin. As I'm shifting around, the big doe pops her head up from the dirt, and stares straight at me. Great. Well I sat still as long as she was looking at me (about 2 minutes) and then she bolts off, followed by the other three. I call my dad in disgust, and he obviously tells me I still have the best 30 minutes left of light. So I sit there, head down, kicking myself, when I look to the pond off my left shoulder, and catch the top of a deer moving through the tall grass. The tree I was in had leaves that blocked her the rest of shooting light, but all in all tonight really boosted my confidence, even if I got busted.

The bow never left the truck. If I would have taken it out this morning, I could have legally shot some turkeys. They were making noise all morning in the hollow below me, when they finally crossed the fence, and walked on a b-line past my stand. I had 15 of them (all looked like hens and jakes) at 10 yards for about a minute, which means they could have met the Truth:deer:

All in all, it was a fun weekend, spent some great times around the camp fire with my dad, brother, and two best friends. But you know, what happens in deer camp, stays in deer camp.:d

I took some pretty neat pictures, and a 2:37 long video of the turkeys, off of my still camera. I'll get those up as soon as I can.

How'd everyone else do this weekend?

7. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not seeing deer can be a bummer and take a toll like you said.

But you can't beat some good times with friends and family:d