Anchor Point

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Daryl Bell, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This may be an odd question, but do you guys think that different anchor points affect accuracy?
    I know many people anchor with a kisser button or in the same place but without the kisser button. I know some people anchor with the fletchings in the corner of their mouth. That's how I personally anchor. How do you think this affects accuracy?

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think what it all boils down to is consistency. If you do the same thing consistently then the shots should be close. Lots also has to do with muscle memory. Repeating it to the point that it just happens naturally and feels right. I used a kisser for years and then stopped when I changed to a thumb release. I found that with the thumb release I was anchoring more consistent that with a index finger trigger. I think because more of my hand touches my face or something.

So to answer your question if you do it the same way each time accuracy should not suffer unless your bow is out of tune or the form is causing the arrow to leave the bow at an angle. Tuning should identify that though right?

3. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not having any accuracy issues, it was just something I have wondered for a while. I also switched over to the thumb release and my accuracy got better. My anchor point did not change though.

4. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The only difference I've noted in the past, is how my face interacted with the string. When I first started using a release I anchored my index knuckle in the same spot I anchored for shooting my recurve. It ended up forcing the string harder into my face (I've got a big head):busted: which made my arrow fly erratic. I ended up moving it slightly forward which cured the problem. Other than that like Copper said, Its all about consistency.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not about anchoring but moving to a thumb release and single pin sight dramatically increased my accuracy. The single pin gave me a better view and clearer target.

6. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you anchor in the same place every time, all other things being equal, you should be fine.

Since I continue to shoot a wrist strap release, the only time that I ever saw an incredible difference in my shooting came when I switched from a caliper release to a hook release. My groups got a lot tighter with the hook release.

7. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As long as you do it the same every time it doesn't really matter. I've seen some shooters with unconventional anchor points that shoot very very well. For me I've always tried to get the bowstring to touch the corner of my mouth and the tip of my nose. Sometimes it's not possible due to faces being shaped differently and the axle to axle of bows changing so much.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2016