Ammo?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Vabowman, Feb 1, 2021.

1. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    was told their doors close for good sometime in March .... Big R got my business, S&F never had the shelves filled ... luckily there is a Dunhams not far away, but they are low or out on ammo and firearm selection is waaaay down too ... Bass Pro only had some shot shells and some .22 Hornet ,, no handgun ammo, no rifle ammo of ANYTHING 'cept the Hornet !!

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Local bait shop in Gray Eagle, don't care if you believe me or not. I picked up a box of 4 shot about a month ago.

3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's going to last for a while. I live in the hometown of CCI/Speer. I talked with a friend a couple of weeks ago that works in the rimfire department there. He told me that if they stopped taking new orders right now they currently have enough orders to run for the next 6 years before filling them.
    They average between 22-25 million rounds a week the last I knew. That comes out to about 7 billion rounds they currently have orders for, just for rimfire.

The current ammo market will get a lot of the smaller places running hard too, if they can. Freedom Ammunition is also located here, they have hardly been running these last 4 years of a conservative in office. They are trying to ramp up and run, but are facing component supply issues.

Many of the smaller places also have QC that leaves quite a bit to be desired.

I worked for CCI/Speer for about 7 years, I started about the 2nd year of Obama's 1st term. Back orders were through the roof. That guy sold a ton of ammo. It slowed down quite a bit the last year of his term, and then dropped drastically as soon as Trump was elected.

It is really compounded this year as you have the normal giant increase due to an anti-gun POTUS just being elected, plus all the new gun owners that leaped on board after seeing rioting and bare supermarket shelves that lead them to thinking hunting would be a useful skill to learn. It will continue for quite a while, people tend to maintain their hoarding/panic buying for as long as shelves are bare and they keep seeing that it is hard to come by. Just human nature. Not only is loaded ammo scarce, but so is reloading components and even muzzleloading components. Has to make you wonder how much issue the big ammo companies are having with getting components too. Another thing to add is the push for electric cars. Almost all big lead companies have to use recycled lead to make product for ammo use, as well as the batteries we currently use in our cars. What is the push for a ton of electric cars running on much bigger battery systems going to do to lead demand?

4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wonder how much it would cost to open a ammunition manufacturing facility? I would imagine the insurance alone would be a nightmare.

I guess I got lucky bc I have plenty of ammo, bullets, casings and powder. I bought a lot of various ammo and reloading supplies at an auction about two years ago. Ive had more difficulty finding 00 buckshot, loaded or just supplies so I switched to loading fletchet rounds. I mean, let's be honest I'm not buying buckshot for deer hunting. Hard to find new .308 casing but easy finding various bullets. I have rifle tuned with 168gr. Sierra boat tail hollow points and just ordered another 500 lot, no problem. I have enough 7.62x39 for my vastly superior AK's to last a lifetime thanks to a Masonic brother.

5. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Image1612287280.217129.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    axtell343 likes this.
  7. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am buying it for deer. and down here in VA it's non existent.

8. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same here but not for deer unless they get crafty enough to break in to the house.

dnoodles and Vabowman like this.
  9. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    K Sota, as to your above quote, go to that store tomorrow and take a pic of the supposedly "no problem finding" buckshot rounds.
    I'll send you a 20.00 bill if you can do that.
    And you can send me the same if there is none?:cool:

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't need $20 and I will keep the buckshot being satisfied I have ammo you all can't get. Federal 3" mag double 00.

11. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't think so:biggrin:

12. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am a bowhunter. I know nothing of what you all speak.

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I have time I will get there but I have a few other issues to deal with.

14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's effing weird, you wouldn't understand it.

You have to take an explosive and contain it in a small compartment trapped between a detonator and a projectile.

Takes a lot of timing to make it happen correctly as you have to have a passage for the projectile and a means for the detontator to escape safely, simultaneously and yet deadly.

If I was going to get out of bow hunting, I'd probably pick up blast fishing...... few calibers out there for that.

15. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How do you not understand? You have a crossbow, they are practically the same thing. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

GregH likes this.
  16. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    that's for zombies. Don't you have TV?

Nobody needs 450FPS to KILL A DEEEEAH

17. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I did some intranets searching. So now I know what you guys are talking about.
    I found a bunch of old WW2 military assault-grade bullets that go into the clipizine thingies in ugly old handguns.
    .45 Automatic magnums or something. Anyway, they are mostly sold out everywhere but I was able to find something called "hard ball" (sounds scary and probably very misogynist) for $1.75/bullet, sold in packs of 250. I don't know why anyone would ever need 250 bullets at once. Maybe they can mail them to you like 5 per month for 50 months, after you pass your monthly psyche exam. And monthly anal swab while they're at it, you filthy mouth breathers.

Anyway, feel free to buy them while they last. Sure hope you don't end up on A List.

18. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Where can these .45 Automatic magnums be found? Asking for a friend.

Hotrod9 likes this.
  19. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    upload_2021-2-3_8-18-28.png

enjoy your heterodoxy, Oppressor!

GregH likes this.
  20. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! My friend really enjoys this round.