Amazing and she really needs your support

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Iamyourhuckleberry, Sep 8, 2010.

1. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    FTR (and directed at no one)....I don't give a rat's ass about the money. No offense. I don't care if you (or anyone else) only hunts to put heads on your walls. I don't care if you hunt inside high fences. I don't care if you bait; use high powered rifles; etc..., etc..., etc... .

2. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I was thinking.

3. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure I would. One hunter accomplished the goal in one year while the other took 35 years. Both were earned. Time is the only seperation. Greg, are you inferring Bill didn't earn his money?

If you had a child and had the money, would you keep your son or daughter away from this hunt because they didn't earn it?
    I know I wouldn't.

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  5. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great way to look at it Brett. I have typed out a response 3 or 4 times now, but struggle to find a way to express how I fee properly.

I'm not mad that she's got the corvette or even jealous, but I respect the 30 year old that sacrificed for his more. From the other angle, who (out of the two) appreciates their respective accomplishment more? Who's it have more value to?

6. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

May not be a Booner but definatley P and Y! :) Nice VS! LMAO ... ya all need to get out an hunt more to get the edge off!

7. Scot

Scot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We can all relate more easily to the person who worked hard over a long or longer period of time to accomplish some thing. Because that is where most of us are coming from.I do think that younger people who accomplish things that are remarkable do not have the life experience to fully appreciate what they have done. So I do understand that sentiment. Is the child being pushed etc.
    I also don't anticipate that she is ready to be a spokesperson for the hunting community,maybe she is or maybe she will grow in to that role if she chooses to. If I were her father I would have shielded her from a lot of the scorn that she is receiving with a lot more discretion.
    The money thing is a hard one. I know a man named Tom Hoffman,who likely many of you have heard of.(First person to complete the Super Slam with all Pope and Young animals)
    He is one of the nicest and most decent people you will ever meet,he is an unbelievable hunter and goes on many hunts every year that any of us would dream about. He is also wealthy,does that diminish his accomplishments? The answer is of course not. Nor does it diminish Sara's accomplisment.

8. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The best thing about these threads are the "distraction" photos!!

9. Bawanajim

Bawanajim Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The biggest question I have about the validity of this whole thread is the availability to obtain legal tags to even hunt all four species of sheep in even two hunting seasons.
    I know people that have been applying for sheep tags their whole life and not drawn one, not alone all four.
    With time hopefully this child will learn that hunting achievements should be viewed far more, as a personal gratification than a public spectacle.

10. Gr8atta2d

Gr8atta2d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I read the article and the comments. I see a lot of support for her.

Any article posted with a comment section draws out the wackos. Heck go read some articles when Michael Jackson Died, or a Football player gets paralyzed. These people live to post thier "witty" comments. I wouldn't associate them with PETA or anything. Thier attention span isn't that long!

Congrats to the Girl. Quite an accomplishment, no matter who paid! She had to hike the mountains and make the shot! Well Done.

11. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Come on Will, you know what I'm infering. This whole page of people "get it".

Also, I have a son and I have some money. I usually try to HELP him with his goals but I don't just hand him the whole deal on a platter. I want him to feel that he worked for it also. I think that kids appreciate it more if they worked for it rather than having it handed to them.

12. huntingson

huntingson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Even if you have the funding, how do you find time to go on all those hunts in 1 year and still go to school? Would my son miss an entire school year to hunt if I had the money? No. Would I love to get to take him on any hunt we wanted to go on as time allowed? Sure.

But this girl isn't my kid and her dad isn't me. They did what they wanted to do and were exceptionally successful at it. Good on them.

Jim Davis
    3G Tactical
    www.3gtactical.com

13. excelpoint

excelpoint Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There seems to be a lot of people on this thread making assumptions about this girls lack of appreciation for what she has done etc etc because of some pre concieved idea that if you have'nt done it the hard way then it surely cant be viewed in the same light as others. Has anyone actually sat down with the girl or corresponded with her to be able to form that opinion?

I know for me I have scrimpt and saved for the last 18 months to be able to afford to come over to the US tomorrow for an elk hunt with a bunch of blokes. Its been hard with 2 kids and a mortgage and I will certainly appreciate the hunt but I dont think I will appreciate it any more or less then someone else in camp that may have just been able to afford it straight off the bat. We are all hunters doing the same things, some are just lucky enough to be able to do it more often then others. I certainly dont begrudge them that.

14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:

15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:

16. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Greg,

Trust me, I got it. Your people choices were bad examples. I'm just trying to make this discussion crystal clear.

I personally think your putting too much stock in "typical". How do you know this girl had it handed to her? Maybe she was given her inheritance early, and this is the way she elected to spend it. Isn't that possible? Are you going to slam her for spending HER money the way she wanted. What if she had purchased 35 acres rather than sheep? Would you diminsih her accomplishments on that property...ya know, since she didn't actually earn the money herself? This girl could be one hell of a hunter and extremely mature for her age. She could also have one hell of an innate talent. There are young people like that. It's sad people here are not giving credit where credit is due.

You stated earlier something to the effect, "if given the funds, anyone could...". I totally disagree. I know where these sheep inhabit. I've seen thousands of men walk away from elk hunts unsuccessful. They were barely able to advance 300 yards from their trucks. I couldn't even imagine them going after sheep.

Here's a awesome link to prove my point:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdon...3F060D2/0/2009RockyMtnBighornSheepHarvest.pdf

If anyone could do it, then the success rate would be 100% across the board. It's not even close! Take area S32 for example. S32 is one of the easiest spot to hunt rams in the State of Colorado. 47 hunters were given the opportunity. 17 hunters were successful. That less than 40%. Sara was 100% on four different rams! She must have been dropped on their backs via helicopter...the whole deal on a platter, right? I can guarantee Sara worked her ass off for her sheep. It sounds like she's an extremely dedicated individual. Why would she stop her efforts now and not appreciate them more later? That doesn't make any sense.

17. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, this thread went seriously sideways... if you didn't want to help out with the original request, why post? It's getting like AT in here.

18. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:

People have a right to respectfully state their opinion. People have a right to question the facts. People have a right to disagree, YET still be friends.

19. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You mean like...the elk thread?

Like...if you don't have anything nice to say....don't say anything?

Just trying to understand the rules.

20. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Will......Please......You're starting to ramble.

How do you think that I came to my conclusion? I'm no CSI expert but the math is simple.

The cost of a year long hunt to complete a slam and a 16 year old girl footing the bill, equals daddy's money.

This is the odds on favorite to win.

Of course there is a chance that one of the many things that you have said could be the answer also. I'll just stick with the odds.

BTW, I'm not slamming the girl, she did good. I'm just not giving her as much credit as someone that did it with a lot more work and effort. That's my opinion and it won't change.