Amazing and she really needs your support

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Iamyourhuckleberry, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I posted this link over in Rob's "First woman's Gram Slam" thread:

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_16005...dailycamera.com-www.dailycamera.com#idc-cover

This young lady is taking a beating from the concentration of "inept" anti-hunters in Boulder-the Ward Churchill type.

Let's get together and give Sara a mess of "Atta Girl"s and "Congrats" in the comments. Let's let her know there many like her, and that we admire her accomplishment. It's the very least we can do! Register and speak your mind!

Thanks!

2. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Will, I personally don't think that this girl needs support. She's accomplished her mission. It's over.

I don't have anything against hunting with the weapon of your choice, be it rifle, muzzle loader, bow or cross bow, but I question the "value" of her feat. Usually a slam like this takes many years of damn hard work and effort. To be just 16 and to accomplish this in less than a year is almost a slap in the face to the others that have done it or are still trying. How did she do it? You know how it happened. It was bought and paid for by her father. How much did she put into it compared to the others?

Unfortunately, hunting will some day be limited to only the wealthy.

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  4. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I pretty much agree with Greg.

5. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    "Usually" Greg? What, in your mind, are there no exceptions to the rule?

You of all people should know, "right time" at the "right place" is critical for success. They fact that she was "there" is enough for me to support her. I really don't care where the money came from...it may have been a gift from her grandparents. Maybe it was saved college money and she has decided to pay for that education herself. And yes, it may have come from her father. But, who are you to judge the sacrifices he made for his daughter (he owns a small pawn shop in cow town Colorado, by the way. Twenty customer a week walk through his door.)? I know I would do the same for my daughter, if I could. I'd give those hunts to her in a second if that was what she wanted and had earned! That's what good fathers do!

6. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't turn this around, Wilbur (no need to). I agree with Greg. There is no false dichotomy (either with her or against her) at play, here.

7. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Of course there are exceptions to the rule. With the same financial backing, who couldn't have done the same? It's not the feat that bothers me, it's the method.

That is good Will, it's your choice but it isn't mine.

Conjecture Will. I don't care where the money came from either. Her hunt(s) were bought and paid for.... in 1 year!!

I didn't judge the sacrifices he made, Will. He's probably a great father. What did he really teach her....... how to shoot and spend money?

There are a lot of people that get more out of an experience that they worked hard for even if that means working together with another person including family rather than having it handed to them on a silver platter.

Have you ever seen a spoiled rotten individual not appreciate something that was given to them? Too many of them if you ask me.

8. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can understand the comments related to the financial aspect and possibly having this "handed to her"...but that's not what gets my attention here, it's the comments individuals made related to her killing animals or having stuffed kills in her basement...that's what irks me...those people truly have no clue...and odds are they have no basis for their statement - by that I mean no real life experience.
    Now if said person has truly hunted and killed and disliked everything about it, then their comments have some substance - but I'd bet everything I own that none have.

In my mind it's hard to form such a harsh opinion with no experience on the subject matter.

Just the fact she is promoting hunting makes me more likely to be her friend than those bashing her...Nice Sheep!

9. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I totally agree with you. This problem (Anti-hunters) has been here for a long time and is not going to go away for a long time. Probably not ever. If you are going to publish or broadcast your hunting efforts you should be prepared for this. You are right though, just for hunting she should be supported. I support the NRA even though I don't share 100% of their beliefs.

10. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with Will on this one.

Some of you may not feel that she deserves the accolades that this accomplishment brings, and I can see your point. Problem is - I don't think that is what Will was asking us to support.

I don't care if Daddy's rich or not and even if he is, I can't see into this girl's heart to judge her. All I know is there was a 16 year old hunter being blasted by tree-hugging idiots and I registered and gave her a pat on the back. It's the least I could do.

11. Sooner

Sooner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went to that link and looked at the comments ... WOW she's getting persecuted, that's just downright wrong. Poor girl may not have earned the slam but she doesn't deserve that crap.

That's another reason to shun the spotlight. I prefer the way guys like Paul Schaefer and Myles Keller handled things.

12. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    She may not have earned the Slam in a monetary sense, but she certainly earned it with hunting knowledge/ability. I admire her for what she's done! If someone had extended that opportunity to me, I would have been all over it!

13. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Chief, thanks Matt, thanks Sooner.

How many of us, at sixteen and lacking hind sight, could have handled the stuff which is being dished onto this girl? In her mind and in her heart she has done nothing wrong (she wants to be a role model-how perfect is that?). How many of us, at sixteen, would tell our fathers "no, as an aspiring hunter, I won't go hunting with you! Not for this sheep slam anyway...I haven't earned it." This girl did EXACTLY what every hunting father dreams their child will do. Whether it's bear, pigs, ducks, deer, or sheep, the game species shouldn't matter! The magnitude of the experience I concede is huge, but at sixteen should that matter? Let's face it, she was there! She practiced hard, got into shape, and pulled off some incredible shots. She did everything right as a young huntress. For this she is called, "spoiled". Unbelievable!

1) The world is a really big place filled with amazing experiences, sights, sounds, creatures,and objects.
    2) Anything is possible.
    3) Experience is priceless.
    4) The love for the outdoors shared between a father and daughter should know no boundry.
    5) Shared joy is a double joy; shared sorrow is half a sorrow.
    6) Friendships can be made above 10,000 feet, or on a desert floor.
    7) You can't teach that which is innate.

I will go on, but I think you get the point.

14. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Will....that's why I cited the false dichotomy thing.....

It's not an issue of....if you don't feel the urge to sign in and defend her....that you're "against" her. I just don't feel compelled (like Greg) to do so.

Does that mean I have ANYTHING negative to say about her or her experience? Of course not.

15. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Who cares if it was bought and paid for by her father. Do you understand what it takes/costs to kill a sheep nowadays? The days of going out and doing it DIY are over....unless you are lucky enough to draw an extremely limited tag for a couple of the species.

She put into it exactly the same as nearly everyone else who kills the NA Sheep Slam does now. Lots of physical effort and yes, money. Who cares that it came from dad.

Congrats to Sara....I'm extremely jealous......and its obvious a lot of others are too.

16. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like who?

17. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do.

I think I do.

Won't be long before it's the same for all hunting.

I don't think she put in "exactly the same" as the rest. It was bought and paid for by someone else. A lot of the others have to work their ass off to realize a dream such as this.

Count me out. This doesn't excite me in the least.

18. MAinfantry82

MAinfantry82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Greg H not only do we share the same name but im with
    ya 100% on this one, of course someone is going to get
    blasted by anti-hunters if its in the news and on
    the internet theres all kinds of lunatics on the web just dont give those
    people any time or attention.... and if u have the money all u have
    to do is make the shot

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  19. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  20. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not naming names and getting into a pissing match. Just read some of the previous posts and the comments below the article and come to your own conclusions.