Am I missing the boat on Lone Wolf gear???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by atlasman, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Bukmastr

Bukmastr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No... I just climb and set up. I put a safety harness on once Im in the stand. Only takes me a few minutes and no sweat at all. I pack my heavy clothes on my stand so I don't build up a sweat. The hardest part is when you have a tree that needs a branch or two removed to set the stand. I generally don't clip much of anything because of how close I hunt to the bedded bucks, but when a branch is right in the way of hanging your stand, hanging on top of you, thats an issue. I always go in really slow in case the buck has a window to my approach and stop frequently to look for the perfect tree. The perfect tree is not always the same one you found spring scouting or hunted the year before. I hunt up wind of bedding areas frequently and use just an off wind to get to the side that gives me the best advantage...

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's a great idea with the bungy straps. I usually just take my backpack filled with gear. I am able to hook the top loop over the top of the stick and I run the waist belt through my stand and clip it together. This holds it real tight and nothing moves or makes any noise. But I can see where the bungy's will be useful when I start taking my camera arm and extra gear with once the colder weather gets here.

3. Matt / PA

Matt / PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Actually that quote isn't quite correct. :d
    I don't like the comfort of the stand, and I didn't buy it because I like to hunt standing up.LOL
    I especially like it because of the ease of shooting SITTING DOWN if I have to.

The hand climber like I have (which is different than Jeff's by choice) is no different than a silent climbing loc-on stand.

I don't want the sling style seat, I don't want a bar in front of me.
    I also don't mind comfort so I spent an extra $13 and replaced that HORRIBLE little seat cushion they give you with a Gorilla fixed style seat.
    I LIKE to sit and I don't want to have a constant paranoid feeling (especially in Illinois) like I had with my Summit, of being handcuffed by a buck I didn't see coming and getting stuck sitting with no ability to shoot. THen with the Summit even if I WAS standing the seat frame made cerain shots to the side and back of the stand impossible.

I was so paranoid of that happening with my Summit last year I actually took the top section of the stand and moved it around the back of the tree because I didn't want it to be in the way. And I DID stand and it DID suck. :deer:

Now with the LW hand climber it truly is 100% no different than sitting in any quality loc on style stand.

I got what I want out of it exactly. It IS dead silent to set up and take down,makes my Summit seem like a game of Jenga to pack together, It's quiet to climb with even with the hand climber. Light and compact.........that DOES mean something to me. I see no need to beat myself in to the ground "Just because".
    It doesn't smack off brush (being tall, that matters), is a dream to carry long distances which I NEED for some of the places I hunt which are a mile walk just to get to certain woodlots.

and actually I don't ever remeber "complaining" about climbing with it?:cry:

My only TRUE dislikes about it are the too short supplied traction belts (Just seems dumb to not supply the stand with the maximum sized belts:hater: ).........those factory supplied ones just don't quite get around those bigger trees, and it's hard to climb with binoculars on a harness. With the hand climber my binos always seem to want to be right in the way of the seat portion as I bring my body into it so I'm not going to be climbing with binos attached anymore.

I love everything about mine now.........it just took a couple small modifications to get it JUST RIGHT for my taste.

4. Bukmastr

Bukmastr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I helped Andrea with the R&D a bit back when he developed the climbers... The reason he opted to have the shorter belt be the standard was because there is more of a learning curve with the longer belts. They were more likely to sag and catch the bark. It does not seem to be an issue with experienced climber hunters though... I too much prefer the hand climber to the sit n climb model. But, I use the hang on and sticks 99% of the time cause of the ability to get into any tree quickly rather than being limited to straight and limbless.

5. Matt / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Dan,
    That seems to be a pretty popular style of hunting with the LW stuff. We do quite a bit of hanging stands pre-hunt but I might have to add that set up to the arsenal a bit. You are definitely right about having to worry about straight and limbless (within reason) trees with the climber.
    Can't tell you how many times I've stood there with that stationary wander going in small circles looking for "The" tree.

By the way off on a tangent.....was down in the archery room tonight vaccum sealing some venison jerky with Whitetail Addictions DVD in the player and who pops on the screen?..........:d

Almost sort of creepy LOL. :cool:

6. Bukmastr

Bukmastr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for creeping you out Matt :d
    If I were to pre-hang stands I think I would still want one good mobil set up for when one of those bucks ain't following the rules coming where you expect them.
    I tend to think most hunters get in a rut. They find the best spots on a property and hang stands there and leave them there forever... Think about it, if you hunt the same spots year after year and you have a 5 or 6 year old buck or two running around, they did not get that big by coming past those stands in daylight when they were 3 or 4 years old. They likely have you figured out. Slipping off to the side in an area that has not been hunted or has been over looked can work great sometimes.

7. Matt / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Ok maybe "oddly coincidental" would have been a better choice of words. LOL :d

You make a good point Dan, and Greg and I have already talked about "Getting a little Sideways" this season in Illinois on some of the pieces we hunt. We know there are some gaggers in there but we're having trouble getting them in front of a stand.

8. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    im a big guy and i like the fact that i feel secure in the stand. my limited time doesnt allow me for long sits but maybe once or twice a yr and even then the LW has been good to me. i know what you mean about underarmour and LW being way too exp though!!!

9. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Who are we trying to fool Jeff. You only made that point to try to show that I don't have climbing experience to reference what is a good stand or not or why bother mentioning it at all? I've been using climbers for 25 years.

Not paranoid at all. As far as my experience with the LW climber, like I said, you gave it enough negative press to show me that I don't need one, especially when my current stand has been flawless. If I were in the market, you showed me that the LW isn't the way to go, I'll buy a new version of my current one. That's all.

That was many moons ago, a friends and I was refering to yours when I said no and again, your cons on the LW reinforced why I wouldn't want to.

Show me anywhere where you mentioned not trying the Ol'man when toting the LW?

I was already in a tree with mine and sat and watched both you and Matt climb with yours and all your negativity towards yours gave me enough experience to know that I don't want one. Every negative comment you made about your stand doesn't exist with me and mine. It showed me, for me, mine is better.

Tied off or not tied off I particularly don't want to come out of a stand, it's not pleasant. Remember, I climb for a living and we've had all the safety instructions and practices. We even had to let go of a pole while wearing a full harness. It's not fun. Climb up about 5 feet and step off your platform once and let me know how that goes.

But thanks for the luck.

10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Can't we all just get along? :cry:

11. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Your right JZ, I deleted it.

Two things,

I'm glad you finally like your LW, it's a great stand.

I love my Ol'man, it's a great stand.

12. MN/Kyle

MN/Kyle Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I could use climbers in my woods...

13. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, Go back, I had deleted mine before you posted. Let it go.

But, FYI, I climb poles for a living, we DO NOT belt off until we've climbed to our desired height. :beer:

14. madhunter

madhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All this talk of portability??????

I have a Tree Saddle, with 12 strap on steps and a Lone Wolf Tree Seat (as a platform to stand on) and I can get in trees that most guys would not even look at. I carry it all in a small pack along with all my other gear no problem.

Plus it is comfortable. I can sit all day no problem.

I also have a L/W climber, and a lock on from them as well. I agree that they have the best quality, but if you are leaving the stands out for the season, you can get good for a lot less. One year at the Deer and Turkey Expo in Madison I got 3 stands for less than 100.00.

To each his own though.