Am I missing the boat on Lone Wolf gear???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by atlasman, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When they make a better stand than my Ol'man climber, I'll own it. Right now, it doesn't exist IMO and right now I believe you can buy them new under $200.

2. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a summit a long time ago when they 1st came out(or at least were hititng popular) I hated it. Dumped it off after one season. I bought an Ol man. For the longest time, and to an extent still, I think its one of the best stands ever made. ROck solid, packs incredible, and the ability to make adjustments up the tree if you miss your diameter guess. Now that said, I am seriously contemplating buying a LW because I'm tired of my ol man. It never did pack quitely, its got a bunch of little clanks and clinks to it. They are soft, but they bug me. The little issues of the straps getting caught tangled and twisted are catching up with me too. MAybe its just the need for something different, I've had this stand 8-9 years now.

3. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    lol Next we will have the Ol'man Corporate Adivsory Staff monikor?
    Make sure I am on it being 42 now.

4. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, I have nothing to do with Ol'man stands other than loving their product Tony.

5. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I will have to try one out, you bringing it to IL?

Is it this one:
    [​IMG]

The one I currently own scared the you know what out of me but it was a mistake on my part.
    It does not have the bar going across on the top portion so its a bummer to climb with unless I am
    doing it wrong. Kind of like this one but about 5-6 years old at least.

[​IMG]

6. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Yes and yes Tony. That's the baby. It comes in aluminum for some added price (still a hell of alot less expensive than the LW) if weight is a factor but for me, weight means nothing. If I cared about a little weight on my back, I'd lesson the pack I carry. :d

If they made a better stand Tony, I'd own it today.

7. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    The Ol'man Pro Series is a .5 lb lighter than your LW and I feel it packs better, is just as quiet and extremely more comfortable not to mention safer and packs perfectly.

I know .5 lbs means so much to you. :deer: :d :evil:

:busted:

8. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That top pictured stand looks exactly like my Gorilla climber. Wonder what the differences are.

9. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Okay Jeff since your casting the first stone,

Sure reads like a cut if it didn't you wouldn't have to right, it's not a cut, your implying I don't have experience climbing? I say, So what, when I do climb, I want the very best and I believe I have it. If my stand was stolen Jeff, what would you say to convince me to purchase a LW. So far nothing because I know what I have. The only thing better than my Ol'man for climbing is a new Ol'man Pro which is lighter, nothing more. So what if I do it once or 1000 times a season, it still stands that I want the best. I can guarantee you one thing Jeff, in my life I've climbed 10x's the trees you have so I have no experience with climbers aye?

No I haven't but I cannot image wanting to after hearing you and Matt complain about yours all weekend. I have zero complaints about my Ol'man and I didn't need to make changes to it to realize that plus I loved it my first climb. You?

Um, yeah you have in my eyes plus the name of the thread, Am I missing the boat on the LW stands? Seems that's asking for opinions if he's missing the boat and my answer is NO, there is just as good if not better for a hell of a lot less. And if offering an opinion on a fantastic stand is jamming it down your throat then I could say that about you and LW as well. Seems you take offense and you've never used an Ol'man either. You have the opt to ignore Jeffy.

I've been climbing more than 25 years, you'd laugh if you saw the first climber I ever used, I made it and again, 10x's the trees my friend so you have a lot of catching up to do. I use loc on's in my key areas as well as would you if you weren't afraid of theft. It's a smarter choice for the right spots so don't denounce my loc ons as inexperience. I use what works. Period.

Yes it is a great, compact stand and if I didn't have to read and listen to you complain about it for so long I might just consider one but I can't justify spending that kind of money on something that is not comfortable (according to Matt which he likes and it keeps him standing) or that I have to tweak, modify to suite my needs when I know there is a perfect stand ready off the market. I believe that is what the thread starter inquired about but he can speak for himself. I'm glad you FINALLY like yours too.

I don't think you fully understand how long I've been at this Jeffy. 27 years bowhunting, I've used this climber for 10 years, I've done everything I can think of it to get it to fail at ground level and it just doesn't. I always have to points of contact and connect to the tree. Perhaps I still take a chance but the Ol'man is a hell of a lot safer than the LW. I would never do what I do in an Ol'man stand in a LW. I tie off to be safe even tho there is no way in hell you can fall out of an Ol'man unless you do something seriously wrong, Can you say that?

I'll say it again, my exwife, 4'10.5, 110 lbs can carry, use and climb in an Ol'man stand and she was afraid of heights, I'm doubting she would in a LW. That speaks volumes.

10. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Not a whole lot fergie, Gorilla was going to buy out Ol'man but Ol'man came back. There are minute differences in how they assemble to the tree and pack but not much. I've played with the Gorilla but prefer the little differences the Ol'man has.

11. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I really like the Gorilla I have. It was the first stand I ever bought 3 years ago when I started hunting. I haven't used it since I got my Lone Wolf but would not have any issues in going back to it. I just enjoy using the new stand and sticks right now.

12. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, in the right situation a loc on and sticks beat climbers hands down. I prefer them when suitable but when I climb and for an ALL day sit I prefer my Ol'man. I've been in it dark to dark many times and I love the how the side rails protect and hug ya for those nap times. :cool:

13. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Atlas, I have never tried the LW but my bud Tuco has. He said what many have already, it packs nice a little pricy$$ and is less comfortable than his old summit that i currently own so thats all i can give ya. Here is what i have owned in climbers. My first two were homemade :d got the job done but heavy and not practicle. you had to be an animal to use them (im not anymore :d ) My second was an old man original. Nothing at all wrong with it and i liked how it sinched to the tree when setled in, extremly comphy. I now own a summit Goliath and love it to. Ill use it for a long time. But if i get the LW it will most likely be the hang on and sticks combo.

14. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using my new LW stand and sticks for the last few weeks. I actully picked it up the night before this season's first hunt. Definetly took a few tries to get used to it. But now I am able to get up the tree in just a few minutes. And I really like the way it packs. I find it more comfortable then my Gorilla climber.

15. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Ahhh Yes I am going to miss the nap time in my LW, chit

16. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    T, you are welcome to use my Gorilla anytime you want. I leave it up at my cottage so you can swing by any night and grab it.

17. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You should be using that Gorilla more, time to give up the Softball and Ice Fishing and sports watching!!

18. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Well softball ended 2 months ago before hunting season opened. And ice fishing won't start for awhile still. So why would I give up off season stuff? And why should I use the Gorilla? I prefer my Lone Wolf.

19. Bukmastr

Bukmastr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here are some pic's to show how I pack my stand in... Notice the bungees also serve to hold my jacket, camera arm, and what ever else I want to strap to the stand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Dan I will be adding the bungies I am finding out by the time I am done setting up
    I sure am sweating my nards off.
    Do you use a linemens belt when it comes to putting just the stand up?
    Thats the part that kills time on me so far and I admit that
    I did not practice this new stand much before use.

T