All covert trail cameras?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Slugger, Dec 27, 2012.

1. goodone

goodone Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hyjack your thread. It was just coincidence there was already a covert thread going and it looked like your question had been answered. Again, sorry.

2. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Coverts number is 1-877-462-1799 or email [email protected]

Does are the worst for noticing new "stuff" in their home range.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    goodone how high are you hanging them. I always go high and angle down...yea the pictures aren't as awesome eye level amazingness but they distrub less deer even the loud noisy old cams I run (not covert)

4. goodone

goodone Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That was a concern but I'm a little limited in how high I can hang it without trimming more branches and I didn't want to alter the area any more than I had to. It's about 4.5-5 feet off the ground.(i think the paperwork said to hang it around 4feet) It's also on a fense row near a gate they use on their way in and out of the field, so they're walk-onng almost straight into or away from it.

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I will admit if a camera is placed in the open kinda but most definitely if smack in front of them they'll spot the thing as being out of the ordinary.

We've learned that lesson the hard way. It didn't matter what height (from ground to over head reaching) if it was smack in front of them we always got deer spooking. We now only try to put cameras at an angle with trails or so it'll be broadside picture more likely. Still even a scent free, high camera that is small can still and will be found out by some deer.

6. goodone

goodone Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had it in a different spot initially but it was perpendicular to the trail and they were triggering it and getting past it leaving me with empty pics.
    Which is why I moved it more in line with a deer path.

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, our best positions is pointing at a 45degree angle. As Pat said though, no placement will go un noticed by mature doe families on their home turf. Some does will pay it no mind, others will but not long and others yet will simply always walk around it or act skiddish.

8. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I run mine perpendicular to the trail and never miss the deer completely unless they are running wide open and even then I get most of the deer if not all. I have no issues with deer being spooky of any of my cameras Even when they are on stic-n-pic in the wide open. So this all has me very confused.

9. Tacman

Tacman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Black 60

I have to disagree, I have used my black ops camera for some time now and the deer, beer and other wildlife pay no attention to it.

10. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, I'm totally into deer management but if you can teach me how to grow "beer" on the farm and manage for that...I'm switching hobbies!

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    AMEN!

12. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He just has CIA trained deer on his land

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If the deer are walking straight at the camera, wouldn't that mean they all were "looking at it" at some point?!?! With the exception of the one's walking away from it?! I have yet to notice any noise coming from any of my Coverts over the years of setting them up. Now my one Moultrie....you can hear an audible 'clunk' every time a picture is taken....that and the red light that does go off when a pic is taken. Solved that one by putting a small piece of electricians tape over it.