Alaska Guide Creations Binocular Harness Chest Pack Review

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by ARCHER_CHI_RHO, Mar 21, 2015.

1. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The Story:
    I was recently stationed at FE Warren Air Force Base, Wyoming.I very quickly learned the value of premium optics, hunting the western backcountry.With great optics comes the great responsibility of keeping them at their finest.Thus the quest for the best binocular harness pack began.
    During last year’s hunting season, I used the normal elastic harness that seems to be popular among many hunters.I guess I’m not part of the “many hunter” crowd.I did not care for the constant adjustments, the never ending bouncing, and the feeling that I had to fight to hold my binoculars to my face while I glassed.The other thing I did not care for was how the elements could pummel my expensive optics with impunity; my rubber caps were quickly lost to the hard hunting, leaving the lenses exposed to the constant grit and grime.No sir, I don’t like it.
    I researched and tested several brands (Badlands, Eberlestock, FHF, etc) and stumbled upon what was touted to be—literally—the “Daddy of’em All.”
    Now before I go on, let me lay out what I find most important in any gear I carry: 1) Customer Service; 2) Value; 3) Workmanship & Durability; 4) Versatility; and lastly, 5) Usability.I called the number for Alaska Guide Creations (AGC), and they knocked my first requirement out of the park.
    I spoke with Jaret Owens, owner of AGC, and his story intrigued me.In his decades upon decades of guiding, he claims to have developed the prototype for the chest binocular harness packs that have flooded the market.We spoke at length while he field tested a new product on the side of a hill.I told him that I was interested in a harness for my binoculars but couldn’t find his products within reasonable driving distance and that I didn’t want to buy one without first trying it.With zero hesitation, he sent me several harnesses for my field testing pleasure.
    Initial Impressions:
    When I received the packs, I could tell off the bat that they were rugged and made with the hardcore hunter in mind.From the material to the stitches, I could tell that this harness would last.My other first impression was a bit of a misgiving, which based on other reviews, I shared with many people: the pack looked a bit blocky.The last thing I noticed from the get-go was the simplicity yet versatility of the pack.Zippers, clips, and straps were readily available to personal customization but weren’t over the top to the point of overload.
    Moment of Truth:
    The best way I know how to test a product is by using it for its precise purpose.In this case, I wanted to see how it would do on a long, arduous trek and also while shooting my bow.In both these cases, it passed with flying colors.Several miles under my feet, the pack rode comfortably.It held fast and steady at a run and/or jump, and when I felt the need to glass, I could do so with little obstruction; I could unclip and pull out my binoculars quite smoothly. The best part about it is that my lenses were clean!I wouldn’t exclaim this point so much if it weren’t for my less than ideal experience last season when I had to constantly wipe rain, snow, mud, and other debris from my binoculars.Additionally, I was able to place my “windicator” puffer, rangefinder, lens brush/cleaner, gps, and other miscellaneous “doohookies” in the available pockets for my immediate reach.
    With regard to bowhunting and returning to my first misgiving of the pack’s “blockiness,” I took it to the range to test my marksmanship.Contrary to my initial impressions, it did not get in the way at all.It balanced well, especially with my hunting pack.For anybody who thinks it would get in the way, you might want to check if maybe you’re overdrawn, because there is very little chance of the string brushing against the pack in any conceivable hunting scenario.
    Put those two scenarios together, and what you have is an awesome binocular chest pack for any scenario afield.
    Final Verdict (0-5):
    Overall: 5
    Customer Service: 5 (Jaret Owens may not be the best salesman, but he doesn’t have to be.He lets his product do the talking, and Jaret is always willing to bend his ear to the customer.)
    Value: 5 (The pack is made in the USA but priced at the same range as its competitors with the same offerings if not more.)
    Workmanship & Durability: 5 (I can’t imagine how any hunt(s) could keep up with this pack.This is built to last, and if anything should happen, I know I can rely on my first criteria for review: Customer Service.)
    Versatility: 5 (Anything that I need immediately, I’ll have at the flick of a finger.)
    Usability: 5 (I was able to adjust this to my person, both in bulky and warm weather clothing.The straps were easy to secure and had zero slop when adjusted).
    Bottom line: This is the pack I’ve been looking for.

He sells them on eBay and a quick search on the internet will point you in the right direction. There are several different patterns and sizes to choose from.

2. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

Dislikes Received:
    I'll have pictures shortly.

3. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

Dislikes Received:
  4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How would you compare this to harness from Sitka, and KUIU?
    Weight and function?

5. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

Dislikes Received:
    In terms of weight and function, weight is really about the same, mere ounces. Functionwise, I feel only the agc and kuiu are 1-handed ops since the Sitka has zippers to be undone. Agc will either have the clasps or the hook/loop style, whereas the kuiu has the drawstring elastic pullover. I personally prefer the clasp, just because it gives me more peace of mind with regard to security. It can be a bit loud though. The agc has more pockets and I prefer the zippers on it on the side pockets. These three keep the elements out pretty well though, agc offers the true timber version that'll have a softer feel.

I have a couple minor complaints with regard to the agc offering, which I suppose is, unrelated to the weight/function question...I wish it came in asat lol

One of these days I'll do a video, since it seems a lot easier to show versus just describe.

6. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    What is your complaints?

I had the sika, and sold it. I need to replace it. I was going to buy a couple or three including the kuiu and see which I liked best.

7. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

Dislikes Received:
    just aesthetics really. if it had a more tapered look and offered it in ASAT i'd have zero complaints. i actually like the clasps versus magnetic closure. if i had to be nitpicky, i'd say that the front zippered accessory pocket could be more accessible if the clasp didn't go over it. that's a minor, minor thing for me though since it has other storage locations all throughout

8. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thinking about getting one. Hunting on the east coast I don't need a huge pack and this could be perfect. Hold my binos, rangefinder, knife, flashlight and my thumb release. That's all I need to carry and looks very comfortable and have everything at my finger tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

Dislikes Received:
    They have smaller sizes too...really considering a 8x42. I really like these packs. Jaret Owens, the owner said there's not a big demand for ASAT, so please call him and request ASAT lol...it's selfish I know, but I'm an ASAT fiend

10. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I may just do that thanks!

11. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    When you said your considering an 8 x42...can you step down in pack size? I am on the fence here, i like the concept but the standard size a little much for me from the pictures i have seen. I am mostly runing Sworo EL's 8 and 10 x42

12. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

Dislikes Received:
    Yep he has sizes for compacts.

13. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

Dislikes Received:
  14. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

Dislikes Received:
    I want to sell my Diamondbacks and get a razor. I have some big glass in the kaibab

15. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you get the current version of the razors, big improvement over the previous years models.

16. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I been thinking of picking up a 8x32 Talon for whitetail hunting, save some weight over my EL's. For HD glass they are cheap and maybe worth a try.

17. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

Dislikes Received:
    We'll see what I can get away with when I pin on major. I'd like to go on a hunt in Illinois with an outfitter.

18. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

Dislikes Received: