aging eyesight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by outback817, May 7, 2023.

1. outback817

outback817 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone struggling with farsighted eyes and blurry pin?

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been there for many years. A few options:
    -Look into a clarifier
    -Worry less about the pin, get the yardage right and center housing in peep
    -Bigger peep

MUDSHARK likes this.
  3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I also deal with being far sighted, I need readers for close up. Luckily I don't need the readers for too far out from my face so far, but every year that distance is growing.
    So far I've done okay by using sights that have a dovetail mount, so I can set the sight out further from the bow.
    I would also add, how you aim can help a lot. For years I shot with one eye closed with more focus on the pin than the target. I have switched to leaving both eyes open and putting focus on the target (what we're supposed to do anyway). This makes the pin appear blurry anyway and it looks see-through since both eyes are open. I just focus on the target and let that see-through pin float around POA as I start pulling through the shot to get the release to fire. Aiming this way can also really help with the pin covering the dot we're aiming at and causing us to start hovering low.

I'm shooting just as well if not better doing this. A clarifier is probably in the not so distant future for me, but I worry about having one when hunting and struggling with it fogging or getting rain in it, so putting that off for as long as I can.
    The EZ-V sight may be a decent option for a hunting sight for older eyes as well, but I haven't tried one so no real experience as to whether that is true or not.

4. Bowhuntr64

Bowhuntr64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used a Verifier Lens for a while. Then switched to Progressive Lens Glasses and they were very well.

5. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    wore glasses since 4th grade, got contacts while in the USMC, kept the Buddy Holly glasses for field use... still wear contacts, and supplement those with glasses, I have one pr. I use for strictly for archery, they are wider and have a narrow nose bridge, no problems with them, howver, Ive not hunted in 'em as I wear face masks and dont want 'em steaming up in the cold or problems in wet weather, I prefer contacts for hunting ...

6. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm far sighted as all get out and have dealt with this for years. I've always shot with both eyes open and from my days of hardcore indoor spot shooting, learned to ignore the pin for the most part. Shoot a 1/4" peep for hunting, center that sucker on your housing and focus on the spot you want to hit and your good to go.

7. rangerFGM

rangerFGM Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i wear progressive contacts and had a VERIFIER peep installed this year and both PIN and TARGET are sharp looking as opposed to b4 blurry .....

8. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    this is my first year of wearing glass and the first time I shot my bow with them I was like WOW I CAN SEE.
    I had struggled with focusing on like a 3 or 5 spot target.

What I'm looking for now is a new pair of glasses that won't slide down my nose while shooting, or playing volleyball etc.
    Still on the look out....

9. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried the inline style that wrap’s behind your head instead of ears. I find they grip better and stay in place better. Similar to these: IMG_4072.png IMG_4071.png

10. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    actually yes'ish
    I have what they call a giant head, and a lot of oakleys are actually a smaller frame.
    The places near me say "we can order you larger frames" but how am I supposed to know if those would fit?

11. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    You would need to find a dimension that fits and you like and then remember that for future purchases. I have a pair of Oakley prescription sunglasses that are the best glasses I have ever had. They are lightweight and fit good. The good thing about Oakley's is that I can replace the rubber ear and nose grips anytime. I have had these for 10 years.
    I have a fat head and thaws fit great. I don’t know if that will help you for a start. IMG_4073.jpeg

12. Bowhuntr64

Bowhuntr64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to use a Verifier lens, but then also started losing my distance vision. So I switched to glasses and found that progressive lenses work great to fix both issues. The things I found helpful were: 1. Get lenses with the widest possible prescription zone. 2. Use wire rims, as they don't block the vision out of the left side of my right eye, as I turn my head slightly to line up the shot. 3. Sometimes I have to bend the right nose pad a bit, to mash it closer to my nose, in order to see thru the prescription zone.

With that, It's worked very well for the last several years.

INbowhunter likes this.
  13. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    Good tip.

Bowhuntr64 likes this.
  14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't over think it worry more about centering the peep circle around the sight ring to get alignment little under center mass release.