Age this bruiser... ??? (photos)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by DropTine249, Oct 1, 2011.

1. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We've been watching this buck since the middle of the summer. I'm rather sure that I saw him 2 Octobers ago, and, had trail camera photos of him last year, as I hunt a piece of land that borders this property.

Early in the year I finally went and asked permission to hunt a piece of land I have been salivating over for years now; I got it !! My buddy and my brother did a ton of work on this property, hanging stands, working on the landowners home and property with me, etc, etc. With that said and the fact that I have another, heavier racked target on another property, I told them I would give them the first 2 weeks of the season to shoot him; after that, he's fair game for all :).

Well, no kidding, I went out to a ground blind to smoke a doe, and, this guy shows up, comes in on a string and starts grazing right in front of me. He got as close as 6 yards at one point; I elected to pass, as promised

BH1.JPG BH2.JPG BH3.JPG .

He is ABSOLUTELY HUGE; likely state record for weight, with out much doubt. My friends buddy dropped a buck that dressed out at 243, this year- this deer is bigger, without a doubt, no question.

This deer is mostly a big woods deer. There are a few crop fields in the area, but, he survives mostly on natural browse.

What are your guesses on age ??

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  2. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know about his age but I'm digging the Afro.
    :fro:

[​IMG]

3. JCraig

JCraig Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    x2! :lol: I wanna see the rack :cry:

4. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i thought it was freddy "boom boom" washington for a second

5. mads10bass

mads10bass Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    From the large sway back and droopy belly id put him at around 5.5 to 6 years of age. By the looks of the black out hes got quite the hefty rack on his head also. Good luck and hunting let us know when you put him down.

6. rkloehn

rkloehn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    we have 3.5yr olds with bodys like that by us so its hard to say. with that sway back i would say 5.5

7. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haha. The Afro Buck !! We used to call him 'Big Heavy', but, now he will be known as, The Afro Buck !!

I wish I could explain how big he is; he can't even run, he kinda just gallops. When I was in the blind, I wanted to take a photo of him, since I wasn't gonna shoot. I forgot my flash was on and it kinda spooked him for a second. I sat real still, but, he still tried to get me to move. Instead of doing the foot stomp like a doe, he just kinda plops all 4 legs into the ground; it was actually kinda freaky !!

I hope to have photos of my brother and this deer after he kills him !! One thing is for certain, I will NOT be passing him again..His rack is ok, nothing to write home about.....

8. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes...I can see that pic much better. Big old mature buck for sure buddy, hope you put him on the ground!!!

9. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would say 6-ish. Just a novice opinion though :)