Against or For Crossbows?

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by TexasOutdoorsman, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would not use one personally if I didnt need to. I dont have a problem with any one hunting with any legal weapon they choose. I got my Dad one this year for his birthday, because he hadnt bow hunted in years, because of shoulder and hand issues.

2. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go with the crossbow...I used one for early season this year(they are not allowed late season in UP of MI-to efficient for yarding deer herds-a thing of the past for the most part around here since baiting got out of hand) and though I didn't shoot at anything(passed on 15 + smallere bucks) I prefer the efficiency,easier carry and easier shooting. However I would also prefer to hunt with my recurve as opposed to my compound bow but I do not have the time to practice with it anymore(kids/chores/work) to achieve the the proficiency needed to ensure a clean kill. Therefore I hunt with the tool that is most efficient for whatever season I am hunting.

3. Ar_ladyhunter

Ar_ladyhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using a crossbow for years, and have taken 5 deer. Arkansas can use them the entire deer season including archery, modern gun and muzzleloader. There are a few in our state that belong to the Arkansas Bowhunters Association that are trying to get crossbows into their own season. So far, it isn't happening. They seem to think that we are stepping on their toes, but if one look at the state methods of kill, they would discover that we aren't. Either way, if you want to get out there and enjoy hunting, get you a crossbow. After all, you owe it to yourself to enjoy hunting without having to worry about causing more problems with your shoulder.

4. Itswhatwedooutdoors6

Itswhatwedooutdoors6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Although my dad has a crossbow,and im glad he is enjoying himself and the outdoors. It urks me every time i go to a store and theres 10 people in line for crossbows, and 2 guys looking at compunds. I believe if you can no longer pull back a bow or some health problem than definatly get a crossbow.

5. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why does it "urk" you when someone else wants to use a weapon you don't approve of for healthy people? Maybe folks that shoot longbows and recurves are "urked" by the people that shoot compounds. At 80% let off and 70#'s you are only holding 14#'s. In your case, at 56#'s you are only holding 11.2#'s more than the crossbow guys.

It is laughable that a guy shooting a compound bow looks down his nose at a crossbow shooter.

It is sad that a hunter looks down their nose at another hunter's weapon of choice.

6. Ar_ladyhunter

Ar_ladyhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think a hunter should use the weapon they choose. Whoever thinks that crossbow hunters don't have to get out and practice as much as any other bow is only fooling themselves. Let me tell you something. Like I said I have been using a crossbow for years and you have to practice to be able to make the kill shot. I have heard many say that a deer cannot "jump the string" from the crossbow like they can with compound. I have news for you, they sure can. Been there, done that. Anyone who shoots a crossbow out past 40 yards is taking a big chance of wounding the animal, if they even hit it in the first place.
    A crossbow may have a little more f.p.s than a compound, but the bolt looses altitude much faster. I have a safe comfort zone that I will not take a shot on a deer. If the deer is out of that zone, he walks until he is in. My farthest shot on a 5 point was 40 yards. The buck was facing me. He was slightly uphill from my position. I knew my ability to make a clean kill and took the shot. Aiming directly between the shoulders there was enough drop to go through the neck and out behind the shoulder. The buck ran about 30 yards.
    Now, let me say this. How many times have you heard someone say they shot a deer, made a good shot, then when they tell you how far they had to track it, and it turned out to be 100-200 yards? That tells me, 1. they either had a dull broadhead. or 2. they didn't make as good a shot as they thought. Either way, the weapon of choice needs to be practiced with well before going into the field.
    Hunting should be about the sportsmanship, not bickering, or looking down on someone for the weapon they choose to hunt with. Personally, I do not like a .223 or .243 for deer, but there are those that do. I do not look down on them because that is their choice.
    Sorry I got carried away, but this is my opinion, and hope no one takes it personally.

7. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

When I owned a crossbow every bow hunter I met around here said you're not really hunting you're cheating. That was over 3 years ago.

Now those very same numb nuts that was against them hunt with them exclusively. Now it's like I never said that, or you better get yourself one.

Whatever the reason as hunters we should ban together not tear each other down for the choice of weapon we decide to choose to hunt with regardless of medical condition or capabilities. Anti-hunting groups can get together on the same page to stop us why can't we get together and just hunt civilly...

instead of being critical of ones weapon of choice.

5dd3bc97a6f6.jpg

8. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You aren't helping the stigma of crossbows with this kind of shot. That is a shot a gun hunter can make but it is a high risk, low percentage shot for a bowhunter to make especially at 40 yards. I am glad it turned out well for you but to use that shot as a an example to highlight the goodness of crossbows on a bowhunting forum is not very smart and could very well be counter productive.

9. Ar_ladyhunter

Ar_ladyhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe so. Us crossbow hunters will always be looked down upon by some no matter what. But I choose to hunt with what is legal. A hunter needs to know their limits regardless of what weapon they are using, as well as practice, practice, practice. But regardless of any argument about anything hunting, it is always a standstill.
    I agree with everyone that says we, as hunters, should stand together, not apart.

10. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am thinking of buying a crossbow just so I can take my non-bowhunting friends with me on bowhunting only gov property. I think I can have most people shooting one accurately in a couple hours. I like my compound, and I like my recurve and I will like my crossbow if I go that route. For crying out loud, we already have enough issue with anti-hunters without us fighting among ourselves over one another's legal weapon choices.

11. KodiakIslandArchery

KodiakIslandArchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stop worrying about what others think....with your homebased friends and your internet pals.
    When you leave this earth, you can't get any of this time back...spend as much time in the outdoors as you can hunting with what you want.

12. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not a crossbow fan. Unless you have physical issues that won't let you shoot a regular bow then I'm ok with it. I

13. okdeerhunter

okdeerhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i dont care what sombody hunts with as long as its legal an it gets them into the sport that just means its one more person we have on our side when the day comes we will have to stand up an fight for the right to hunt

14. Razor Edge

Razor Edge Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shot my first two bucks with a crossbow before i bought a compound and I think it is ok to use one if you want :)

15. RoyC

RoyC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMO, I would not care what people thought. If you are unable to use a compound bow and a crossbow puts you in the woods hunting, go for it. As for the negative flack from your peers, you will get better at ignoring them as you get older. When it comes down to it, do what you want to do as long as it is legal.

16. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Bingo.....it's their choice and as you stated "As long as it's legal and ethical" I'm fine with crossbows....

17. freeloader

freeloader Newb

Dislikes Received:
    As a crossbow hunter, I agree with this. This is a very, very low percentage shot for anyone who is not holding a gun in their hands, and I believe should not be taken by anyone launching an arrow.

18. stanleybows

stanleybows Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I can't believe how heated this topic always gets, regardless of the forum. I simply don't understand what the issue is? If someone wants to use a crossbow then so be it. It's no more an advantage than using a rifle, in fact, it's significantly less. If anything, this thread has peaked my interest. Suddenly, I find myself browsing online for a new crossbow.

Oldcarp likes this.
  19. freeloader

freeloader Newb

Dislikes Received:

Crossbows is the 'hot button' topic on a lot of forums. The issue is not whether it's an advantage over a firearm...clearly it is not. What's at issue is their inclusion in archery seasons without restriction (age and/or disability). Crossbows are seen as giving an unfair advantage over traditional and/or compound bows, and the disparity in the time it takes to become proficient with a crossbow versus a vertical bow is always a part of the conversation. I've hunted with all three.....still do. Typically, I set the crossbow aside until winter bow season, as bulky clothing and cold temps make drawing difficult. I prefer the maneuverability of my vertical bows from a treestand...but like the crossbow for hunting from the ground.

20. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Coming from a point of view of someone who gave one of his friends a hard time about a crossbow, buy a crossbow! If you can't draw a compound then do whatever you need to do to stay out in the woods. Personally, I would never use one until I have a physical need to, but I don't see why some people have a problem with them. Your friends are just giving you a hard time to give you a hard time. Like I said I have been that guy before and it's all just fun and games. I'm sure they don't mean any harm by it. Being only 15, I would definitely look into getting that shoulder fixed. That's not the kind of thing you want bothering you from such a young age. But until that shoulder is better, get yourself a crossbow and go enjoy the outdoors.