Advice on getting started?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Nuttz51, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Nuttz51

Nuttz51 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the market for my first hunting bow. I'm 6'1 240lbs and don't want to make a mistake on my first bow. I'm hoping to find something in the 200-300 range. This is for deer hunting and hoping someone could give me some guidance, what the good brands are, what to watch out for, draw back weight etc. thanks

2. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your price range is going to cause some buyer's remorse sooner than later. Save your money until your buying range is around $1k and higher.

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your size would give a general idea of what you might need BUT without seeing you in person or having a lot more information about you and your body, it would be impossible to give you spot on advice as to what you need for a bow.
    Go to a bow shop and have them fit you. Talk with them about a "starter bow package" and see what they have to offer. Once you have some experience and know what you like/need, then you can start shopping around, even off the internet and get what you want. I have always considered shopping for a new bow exciting.

Good luck and have fun.

4. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bow cost is just the beginning....Arrows, release, stands,etc....Once your hooked you might as well just give the bow shop your paycheck.....Good luck!

5. troutbum1971

troutbum1971 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Buy a ready to hunt (RTH) bow.

6. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get a hunting partner someone to share the entire process with you the excitement of your first bow to your first doe good luck

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No reason you can't pick up a great used bow for about 300 or 400. Take a look at your local pro shops at what they have in trade in bows and while your there get your draw length measured. From that point you can start shopping ...

8. Nuttz51

Nuttz51 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I found a Hoyt ignite that's ready to go, comes with sight, quiver, drawback wrist wrap (not sure what that's actually called)

its $460 brand new. Would that be a good move? He let me shoot it while it was set at 70lbs. It felt good.

im an athletic ish body type. Been lifting weights most my life if that helps. I have semi long arms as well.

and I am a hunter so I already own most basic hunting gear. Just not a bow.

9. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Need to know your draw length. This will limit your choice of bows. You do not want to be at Max draw adjustments for the bow and it be to short. Not many choices for 32 inch draw.
    You will need to move your budget up a bit. I would look at a RTH bow that will get you started then you can change the biscuit rest out when you get better. Drop-away rest are not good for beginners. If you do not know a archery hunter than look in your state for the Bow Hunter Organization to meet fellow archers. The Kansas Bow Hunters Association has meetings and shoots and a good way to meet folks who could help you. Since you did not list your state there maybe someone on here who lives close that might help. (Not Masterhunter)

10. hackattack

hackattack Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to say that 200-300 dollars is not gonna give you the best bang for your buck, but i am never going to tell someone it cant be done! I would suggest hoyt as a good brand for you, but again I would advise you to spend just a little bit more, you can find a good bow at 400-600. You wont find the best bow @300 RTH.

11. primetime_Deion

primetime_Deion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As mentioned before, the price range might limit you a little bit on the quality of the bows in that range, but definitely can be done on a used one that can be in good condition! You'll see that when you get hooked on bowhunting like we all have, you'll probably end up spending more money than you'd expect yourself too many times. But it's all to increase your chances of putting down that big bruiser or trophy doe come hunting season! Accessories add up quickly that greatly increase your chances of putting that arrow through that deer come next fall or even if you get to hunt soon still depending on your season. You're going to want to go to a local archery shop and get your draw length and poundage figured out and they'll help you get all set up. Common poundage for your size might be around 60-70 pounds, but depends on your strength. Get yourself to a local archery shop and if you got a friend or family member that bowhunts, they could help you out a ton as well if you ask em I'm sure. Good brands you'll commonly hear of are Hoyt, Matthews, Bear, Diamond, PSE, Bowtech, some others. My current bow, my starter bow, is a Mission Ballistic made by Matthews. I'd say 70 pounds is fine if you can shoot that pretty easy. My arms are pretty short so I only shoot 27.5" draw so you'll be longer than that by a couple inches or more most likely. Good luck! Doesn't get any better than up close and personal like bowhunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

12. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is not only not helpful, it's also wrong.

Now while you're budget may be limited I would look for older used bows.
    I managed to get a Bear strike for my brother for $150 from one of the regulars at the shop I frequent.
    Craigslist list and eBay can be done but you do run a certain risk.
    Just because it's older doesn't mean it's not going to be effective.
    Just keep an eye out local and you might find a deal.
    As mentioned $460 will get you a RTH package with half a dozen arrows.
    One nice thing about the shop I frequent is that they have a payment plan deal, X amount down but you can shoot it in the shop while you're paying on it .
    When it's paid off you take it home and it's all setup for you because you've been shooting it.