Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Active Logging and Deer Hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ckempo, Oct 18, 2023.

?

80 acre property being actively logged. front 1/2 hard wood Back 1/2 of property is swamp

1. just focus on the swamp area

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. hunt the front but away from the equipment and work

100.0%
  3. go find some public land

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. you have better idea to share

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ckempo

ckempo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Buddy and I have permission to hunt is cousins 80 acres this weekend. However, we were just informed the the property is being logged (started last week). Supposedly they are logging the front 30 acres which is mostly hardwood, a powerline field, and where the cabin is located. The back off the property is mostly swamp, not sure of the current condition how much water etc. So which option do you go with

1) just focus on the swamp area
    2) hunt the front but away from the equipment and work
    3) go find some public land
    4) we have better idea to share

2. snuff

snuff Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use to log for a living as long as the equipment is not running the deer won’t pay it much attention they love to come out ont the fresh skid trails and walk I’ve seen no telling how many deer coming to the job site in the mornings out snooping around

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with snuff. Game seems to love freshly logged areas, as long as the loggers aren't actively working they will be snooping through it.
    Identify where they might be bedding and sit between that and the edge of the fresh logging.

snuff likes this.
  4. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I grew up in the logging business. My family owned and operated a large lumber mill here in PA. I spent a great deal of time, ever since I was old enough to walk around job sites in the woods. I can tell you once the machines, saws, trucks get going, the deer will keep just far enough away to feel they are out of danger. The love to eat the tops of the trees once they're on the ground. I can't tell you how many times i've been on a job site and when the machines would shut down for a break or the lunch hour, the deer would come from everywhere and act like they did not care a bit there were machines and people around. They'd literally walk with 20 yards of the work trucks while everyone sat around eating their lunch.

I also remember one time when my brother complained that he had to be careful when cutting trees down with the Timbco feller that he didn't swing around and drop a tree on a deer that was eating on the top of a tree he cut down 15 minutes ago. :biggrin:

I've killed deer around active work sites plenty of times when I was younger. The sound of the machines and the trees crashing to the ground were so loud it sounded like it was right behind me, but the deer couldn't have cared less. I'm convinced that deer 100% know the difference between me sneaking through the woods, like a predator would, and a bunch of machines and trucks making a ton of noise. They don't view them as a threat.

I'd hunt far enough away from the active work to be safe yourself, but I'm telling you those deer will pour into where they're cutting after those machines shut down and they leave for the day. Its pretty fun!

Mod-it and snuff like this.