A Year of Ups and Downs...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MIHOYT89, Dec 17, 2015.

1. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For the past 5 years I have shot a single pin HHA sight and had amazing results. Early this spring I got a wild hair and bought a TR react pro 5 pin sight and loved it...at first. I was able to kill 3 deer this year with one being a beautiful 135 inch 10pt, but, and there's almost always a but, I had trouble with my sight picture and judging where to place the pin on those middle ranges (25, 35, etc) and non vitally wounded two bucks. I shot hundreds of not thousands of arrows over the summer so it wasn't a lack of practice, it seemed to me as a lack of confidence on those oddball ranges over 20 yards. I also thing that I became so used to a single pin from the previous years that the 5 pins threw me for a loop even after a spring and summer of constantly shooting. TR makes great products but I have hung up the bow for the season because lack of confidence, and will be buying a new HHA single pin to go with the new Hoyt defiant 30 that I just ordered today!

Long story short if you make the switch practice those inbetween ranges and do it religiously and when you think you've shot enough, shoot some more! Hopefully this helps anyone making a switch from single pin to multi pin!

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You think it was the pins and not a reaction to a buck in front of you?

3. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It was definitely me but is was placement of the pin on the deer not because of "buck fever"

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How did you shoot with your single pin? Did you always adjust it for exact range or did you have it close and aim high or low to compensate?

with my pins at 20 and 30, if I'm shooting 25 I don't focus on the 20 yard pin and try to place it on a specific spot. I focus on where I want to hit and put that between the two pins.

5. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exact range no, if the deer is at 26 or coming down a trail at 27 I I'll put my pin at either 25 or 30 and know that I will have to aim a touch lower or a touch high. With my multi pin I would get caught up in the moment I seemed to aim a touch too low on the inbetween yardages. Both deer that I wounded were low catching either very low on the chest or catching the back of the leg. In 5 years with my single pin I never once had this issue and am still much more confident knowing that I can put my pin at that distance to make a good shot

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

7. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yep.
    i have shot a single pin for years and kinda freak out when shooting someone elses bow with a multi pin set-up.

8. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll probably go through the opposite when I switch to a single pin after this season. If you took my 20 and 40 yard pins, I would have no idea where to put the pin when trying to shoot 25 or 35 yards.

9. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's funny how you become accustomed to one thing and you put some sort of variable into the equation and the results change completely. I'm not saying don't shoot a multi pin sight or do not change from o e to the other but if you do make sure you know your piece of equipment like the back of your hand. Good luck to all on the remainder of the season!

10. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm trying to get my wife to go to a single pin instead of the multi pin she has.
    I'm sticking with my single pin for sure.

11. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just the opposite as most of you guys. I thought about a single pin, but I don't see me enjoying having to adjust my pin if a buck is cruising through and I don't have much time to react.

12. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hate to hear that you had problems. But, in between yardages are easy - you split the 2 pins. If it's 25 you find the middle in between your 20 and 30 pin. 35 - the middle between your 30 and 40 pins.

I shoot both single and 5 pin, both are deadly.

13. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I understand how to do it and did it hundreds of times on the range, but I failed to do so when it was time to do it in the stand. And I want to make sure that I don't have that problem any more is why I am going back to the single pin. On top of my problem I love the simplicity and last of pin cluster in the sight housing of a single pin.