A wind direction tool for hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Gear' started by joe thompson, Aug 3, 2018.

1. joe thompson

joe thompson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Windway-wind Flag

[​IMG]
    You tried your best to pick a deer hunting stand that is right for the wind that day, but when you arrive and it’s not coming from the direction predicted by the local wind forecast. That’s because there are other factors that have an influence on how the wind moves through that particular location. Like temperature, land topography, vegetation height, and wind speed.

While setting in my stand I found myself wishing I had a way to tell if the wind direction changed or fluctuated directions. I wanted a real time wind tracker. I wanted it to be easy transport, weatherproof, highly visible, and show wind right now. I played with different ideas and created a sweet flag that measures wind direction smallest changes.

This custom made flag is made it out of plastic. Which makes it completely waterproof, and it withstands all weather conditions. I painted it hunter orange to make it highly visible. I can see it a crossed my 20-acre open field. With binoculars, you can easily tell which way the wind is blowing. I mounted it on a fiberglass pole so it can easily be moved from stand to stand. The shape of the flag and the way it swivels allows it to show fluctuations in the wind quickly.

I have been using them for 3 years. Deer won’t spook from them being in the woods. I watched bucks and does walk right past them. I have left them out on my property all year long and they haven’t broken or become any less operative due to sun or cold weather.

My property has some pines, select cut woods, hills and some open areas. I have an open area in the center of my pines. I set up a blind, corn feeder and my wind tracker. Even though the prevailing wind direction was from the SW that day, in the pines the winds swirled. My wind flag was constantly changing directions and I have never seen a deer at that location! Even in open fields (food plots), I was surprised how much the wind changes directions near the edge of the Woodline.

At the end of my road is a lot of stateland. It's really hilly, big woods. It can be very difficult picking a stand location where the wind doesn’t swirl or fluctuate direction. This live wind direction tool will save you hours of wasted time from setting in a hunting stand that has the wrong wind. I have mounted them on my truck antenna while driving down the two tracks. After a quick stop, I can get an immediate idea on how the wind is blowing in that area. So, if you’re like me scent control and hunting the wind is critical if you want to bag a mature buck especially while bow hunting.

I decided to offer my (Made in the USA) wind direction flag for sale to the public. They are available in white (unpainted) or orange. For the post, I used the orange driveway markers that can be purchased at any of the big retail home improvement stores. All you have to do is push the wind flag onto the end of the pole and it's an affordable wind direction indicator.

Send me a msg if interested?

Attention long range target shooters. This wind direction finder can be just what you need to tell if the wind has changed directions down range.

Attached Files: