A sad 60 mile drive

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by oldnotdead, Jun 21, 2020.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Went to daughters for FD. 60 mile drive in a state that no longer picks up carcasses along the highway. It was a massacre on the way down and a different way back. Way too many fawn, doe and buck. Many bloated smelly "balloons" ready to blow. Then there were the movable road sign that blinked " NEW YORK STRONG" Ya you need a strong constitution to drive NYS roads.
    Anyways so many lost fall opportunities.

mikey custom-g likes this.
  2. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Oh to date I've seen 2 tiny little live fawn last week.
    Today, 9 along the road.

3. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That reminds me of a couple years ago going through Wisconsin on I-90/94. I bet there were a couple hundred along that stretch of road. Sad indeed

oldnotdead likes this.
  4. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Critters get chased and run into traffic. Bears, yotes, bigger cats. It’s non stop. Everyone loves deer dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldnotdead likes this.
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I only get sad when the deer gets hit by my truck.

6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I won't jinx myself. Though I have had some crazy incidence. Neighbor and our son are magnets and both totaled at least one vehical. So very lucky there were witnesses because cops didn't come to assist. Saw the truck and tried getting him on speeding. But people had stopped to help and he had a work co rider with him. They all said he was under the speed limit. Drove radiator into engine and the engine back, then managed to take out part of roof and the drivers side length of Dakota. Even the insurance tried giving him a hard time. Both lucky they weren't injured.
    The worst road was the expressway. 4 lanes with a large median between everyone usually bumper to bumper and 70 miles per hour. Main trucking route. The back roads were the main buck and "bloaties" just miss the road crew pick ups. I feel like Cuomo should be fined for littering or restart the pick ups.

7. jakutran21

jakutran21 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

8. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ond, surprised that the cops didn't write up the incident. Were they or the F&G people called? This could have been used for an insurance claim. Deer, cattle, horses have an nasty habit of rolling up the hood and through the windshield. Truck not so bad but with all the little cars in the road. Ouch! A friend hit an elk in Montana. He caught it with the left fender and rolled it down the side of his '74 Buick 225.

9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Oh the police did show up, saw the damage and decided to try and get a speeding offense out of a deer hit. He was lucky to have been leaving work along with many others at the time, so witnesses spoke up.. It did get a write up but, but the adjuster the insurance sent out kept saying the damage didn't match his experiences in such accidents.
    You would have thought he'd hit a cow at twice the speed. I believe it was a 45 zone.so lucky neither were injured even wjth the airbag deployments. totalled it.

I was on the way to work one night and had two geese fly into my wind shield. It was a new route and I was coming down a hill . Break on looking for a street sign. I saw two orange feet coming at my Areo star windshield. Well in one move I ducked to the passenger side pressing harder on brake and hitting turning signal as I steered off to the road edge. When I sat up there was long shards of glass on me and a cone shape of glass at my face in wind shield. Well same as son, they tried to ticket me. Problem was a retired teacher was pulling his garbage cans to the road and the dead geese landed in his yard. He helped me get the van to his drive, got me in the house and called the cops and ambulance and hubby. I had gotten glass in my eyes and the seatbelt had injured my ribs from the force of my ducking to the passenger seat. Cop was not nice, but the guy got a tad nasty when he saw what was happening. The geese took out the wind shield and caved in the roof around the wind shield. God they called me miss goosey for a long time..
    Ps
    I was doing less than 30 mph. Insurance went after the owners of the 2 fat domestic geese.it failed because they were in the middle of a divorce and ownership was an issue.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020