A question on tuning.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by seanmoe, Apr 4, 2012.

1. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I am shooting a QAD do I still need to paper tune or just make sure my arrow is in line?
    My issue, having arrows hit the 20 yard mark all of them a little off center from where I shot like they landed in the target sidways( not as bad as that but you get the idea). I did try a cheap way of paper tuning with not having the right paper od way to hold it and found my fletchings digging in to the left but when collecting my arrows collecting them leaning to the right? I'm stumped or am I on the right track?

2. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sean, I generally zero a pin, do a walk-back tune and then move on to Broadhead tuning. But if you're arrow aren't hitting the target straight, I'd check and make sure you're not getting a little fletching contact. I used a QAD for a short spell, and couldn't resolve my contact issues with it and moved on to a Shaffer rest, and never looked back. TFox is pretty good with the QAD's if I remember correctly, but I had no luck with the one I had and finally gave it away... I've not messed with paper tuning in several years now as it seems to be more or less a waste of time for me personally.

3. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One thing to check with a QAD rest is that the rest comes up in approx the last inch of the draw cycle, hopefully this will clean up any fletching contact with the rest. Then walk back tuning should get you on the right track from there.

4. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The other thing that it may be is SPINE.... I was just thinking fletching contact, because I had fletching contact with mine, but drop that bow down about 5# and see what happens...

5. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input guys I'm not sure how I'll check to make sure I'm not getting contact maybe have someone watch real carfully. It does look from time to time that my rest has a little nick in it, I do not think its a spine issue though I have dropped my bow from 70# to 60#. I have a downforce sitting in the closet it may be my next step if my next range time doesnt go as planned. thanks again.

6. Coyote Kid

Coyote Kid Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It is somewhat hard to tell without more info ( anchor point; release type; nocking point location; hand torque; distance from paper; fletching contact which destroy any tunning methods ). I would start with setting the center shot in line or half a shaft to the left ( for a right handed shooter ) with the string and arrow. Set the nocking point 1/8" above 90 degrees. Set a 40 yard pin and shoot a 3 or 4 shot group. If the arrows are spread horizonally move the center shot in or out in small increments, if they are vertically move the nocking point up or down the same. Good luck and hopefully things will come together and all arrows in the same spot.
    CK

7. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like fletch contact to me. Do you have any marks or 'streaks' on your fletching? I was having that problem at first with my QAD Hunter rest. Once I got it dialed in I haven't had any problems at all. If it looks like its coming out of bow to left but hitting in target to the right, it could be fishtailing. Check out the Easton tuning guide. Just Google it, its pretty popular. There's a lot of good info in there. Good luck and happy hunting :)

8. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cheap paper tuners are fine. The arrows are fishtailing left to right so there is a serious issue going on. It does sound like contact.

Eyeball centershot by looking downand from above. Look at the arrow and make sure the arrow is running through the center if the stabilizer to just left of center. Usually around 13/16" off inside of shelf to center of arrow.

Then check with lipstick or foot powder on the rest to confirm your contact issue. I like to shoot a bareshaft through paper up close and then a fletched one. Tear should be the same.

The the the problem solving, why is there contact. Usually with the QAD it is not adjusted properly. Make sure the arrow is level on a hybrid or 2 cam and about an 1/8" high on a 1 cam.(string creep can mess up original tune) . Then make sure the pull cord is coming off at a downward angle and the rest doesn't come up fully until the last 1" of the draw cycle.

If all this checks out, change the launcher arm to the taller arm that comes with the rest. If the shop didn't give you yours. Then take it back and tell them you need it installed. Then readjust the height to make sure the arrow is level.

You should have no issues with contact at this point.

If you do, then there are bow or arrow issues.

Then you can use walkback or my favorite, french tune to fine tune centershot.

The above method will work but is usually for more advanced shooter with tight groups to begin with.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

9. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man, that's alot of typing on a cell phone.

10. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have not paper tuned for years. I walkback the BH tune. If my BH and FP hiot yhte same at 40 yards I go hunting.

11. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Paper is more for checking tune than for actually tuning. It can tell you if you have a cam lean, contact, or spine issues. Just to name a few.

12. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Paper will also show torque more than anything.

13. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This has always been my issue with paper tuning. You really must concentrate solely on form when you shoot through paper to get a good reading. I don't know how many times I've chased myself in circles because I was getting a left or right tear, only to discover I wasn't REALLY paying attention to form and hand placement.

tfox is spot on with everything he pointed out. Before doing anything, make sure you're getting good clearance. It won't matter what you do, as long as there is clearance issues, it will never tune.

14. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have found, when shooting through paper, that if I close my eyes, draw, anchor and then squeeze the trigger slowly, that I get true results. When there is no aiming, no target, then your full concentration can go to good, correct form. Works for me.

15. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a release once that would cause me torque the string with my face, always giving me a tear. Took me a long time to figure that one out. As well as a few choice words.:o

16. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Yep, I do the same now. Paper can give such false readings and headaches at times. It's amazing how much the act of aiming can screw things up.