A Little Colorado Unit Advice Please

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by SheddingLightTravis, Jun 26, 2018.

1. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where exactly should I hunt in Colorado? Which Unit, which day and which tree should I stand by where I can shoot a 350+ bull? Can you hold my hand as we walk to that spot? It is unbelievable that you wouldn't want to share with me that information. Come on man.

Joking. However, I'd like some advice on a general area to go if you could help with that.

I went out to Colorado 2 years ago for rifle season in Unit 58. Had a blast but didnt see a ton of elk. Next year I plan to bowhunt in CO. I have 3 preference points saved up. I had planned to go with some buddies who used to hunt a draw unit and had good success in years past...it's been 15 years since they've been there though. My buddy told me he thought 2 PPs would get me drawn possibly. After doing so research, 0 points would actually get me drawn...100%.

So I'm wondering if you had 3 points saved up, what Units might you apply for? I have the free trial to the Go Hunt App and I'm looking for units where 3 points will give you over 50% odds. I may very well go with my friend still and just blow the 3 points for the simple fact that they've been there, know the area, and have killed multiple elk over the past 30 years. I don't plan to hire a guide so this may be the next best thing.

Thanks for your help. (If any of you have the spot mentioned above with the tree marked and everything, I'd take that advice too...maybe in a PM though.)

2. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I believe you’re a little late for this year.

3. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's why I wrote about next year...2019. Thanks.

4. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The point creep in Colorado is going to off the charts now. Without having to pony up the full tag price, the number of apps and point apps skyrocketed. Keep building points if you choose and pick up a OTC tag and hunt. My pick would be 76 depending on what the fires do this year.

bowman94 likes this.
  5. DanyeckAdventures

DanyeckAdventures Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another good area is 551. A guide I know says he hunts there every year for 20 yrs. and has killed one almost every year. Another good thing about this area is you can get an OTC bull if you don't draw.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

bowman94 likes this.
  6. Bird Man

Bird Man Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Your best bet is to research & plan AND GET IN THE BEST SHAPE OF YOUR LIFE. I have been hunting CO Elk for 30yrs and am way above the 7% average for getting an elk with a bow. I have hunted many areas of CO and without exception the best advise I can give you is to study the draw recap reports, post population estimate reports, and the CO Hunting Atlas -- all available on the CO Parks & Wildlife Website.

For archery I always start looking for units with high peaks/elevations as elk, especially bulls, love to go high during the day. A good site to look at unit profiles is diyhuntingmaps.com/. For free you can find all sorts of information on each unit in CO such as unit size, total hunters (no just archery), hunter density, overall success, public land(%), road density, ruggedness scale, max elevation. With this data and the archery information on the CPW site you can start narrowing down some choices.

I did exactly this the past few years, got into elk every year, and shot a 6x6 bull this year.

Lovehunt11 likes this.