A little carnage with the new Ross Carnivores

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Greg / MO, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Mo_bowhnter

Mo_bowhnter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    With this crank system, is there an increase in the speed department since it sounds like there is more energy stored in the limbs? What kind of IBO's do these have?

Very cool design by the way.

2. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I asked that too. Not as much as you would think. I think they were rated around 320 IBO. But don't quote me on that. Maybe Greg or Matt will chime in.

3. Mo_bowhnter

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmm...I would love to hear more about the advantages of such a system over say a Marquis that is smooth in it's own right.

4. IL_Bow_Man

IL_Bow_Man Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on some good hunts guys!!

Hey there...I am not that far away:d

5. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    These bows definitely weren't designed for the "speed wars" by any stretch of the imagination... 312-320 is what they're slotted for; their strength is that silky-smooth draw and bullet-proof construction.

Obviously having owned the Marquis too (I think I killed six deer with that one before selling it...), I can tell you that the Carnivore is MUCH smoother. She hits peak weight earlier in the dfc and holds it for a flatter curve... not near as abrubt or sharp a dfc.

6. Mo_bowhnter

Dislikes Received:
    So could you compare it to a supped up Liberty as far as smoothness is concerned or is it smoother than a liberty too? I'm gonna have to go shoot this thing to see for myself because it sounds like a great little bow.

7. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is the Carnivore 80% letoff? I'd love to get my hands on a 34" model to play with.

One huge advantage to this crank system that many may not realize, is the ability to tune cam lean on the bottom. On a single cam, or traditional hybrid cam (cam 1/2, and CPS styles) you don't have a yoke on the bottom that you can use to tune this. Kudos to Ross/Bowtech, I gotta say I really like the idea of this system.

Now if only I could get my hands on a pair of these kranks..........I'd love to do some frankenbow experiments with them. ;)

8. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    That's a tough one... I've got Dad's 60-lb. Liberty hanging here in my shop, but she's set at something like 52 (he's had rotator-cuff surgery on both shoulders)... not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison with my Carnivore set on 66. Still, by only guestimating I'd say it'd be close in feel.

Yes.

Now someone's using their noggin. ;)

9. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ok, so where here in NE IL can I try out a new carnivore?? I like my 334, but this looks like it my be the shiznit!!! of course i'm still gonna try an elite as well... :D

10. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm wondering if that's the bow that my proshop guy was saying is going to open the archery world doors again for 09? Greg, you owned the Tribute. How would you compare it to the 31" version of the carnivore?

11. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    Very similar when the Tribby was outfitted with my smooth mods... I'd give the speed nod (even with the smooth mods installed) to the Tribute, but believe it or not, the Carnivore is even more recoil-free despite not having near as parallel limbs as it. Probably pretty similar draw cycles, as best as I can remember from a couple years back.

One thing we haven't talked about is the shape of the grip on the new Ross line; it's hands down the best-feeling grip I've shot yet, offering very consistent hand placement while still minimizing the shooter's liklihood to torque the bow. As much as I love the BowTech grips, these are a bit flatter in back.

Another big plus I've been lobbying for now for a couple years is for them to lower the sight-mounting holes on our risers... I'm proud to say that they finally did it on this model. This is the first bow I've ever set up that I didn't have to drop the sight close to the bottom of the extension bar... I'm pretty much straight on with this one. Out of looking at probably thousands of pics online over the last decade, I've probably seen less than 1% of people have to ever RAISE the sight at the end of the extension bar; most are near the bottom of their adjustment like me so I thought it was high time we lowered them. It's nice to be in the middle of my adjustment range for once.

12. Matt / PA

Matt / PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Too late. :cry:

13. IL_Bow_Man

Dislikes Received:
    Where the heck does a guy go to find out information on the Ross bows? Has it not been released yet or what? You fellas that get these thing for free should start sending them around for us to shoot. It could be on a week to week basis. You send it to me...I shoot it and touch it and I will send it on to somebody else. Lets get some real reviews that way!! It is really the only way us poor folks can shoot a new bow...unless you add me to the staff...hint hint!!

14. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Road trip to NE Ohio, you can shoot mine :cool:

15. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    www.huntwithross.com

:)

16. IL_Bow_Man

Dislikes Received:
    If you were in NW Ohio...I might consider it...but NE...you are crazy!!

Thanks for the link greg!!

17. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You gotta pay if you wanna play bro :deer: