A little carnage with the new Ross Carnivores

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Greg / MO, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Things are finally settling down a bit so I can post a bit about the past several weeks' hunting...

Bowhunting.com Pro Staffer John Mueller was gracious enough to invite Matt / PA and me, who was staying and hunting with me for three weeks, to come up to his private property he's been cultivating and preparing for the better part of a year. We had a fantastic time both hunting and in fellowship, enjoying everything from one of John's favorite Italian restaurants one night to getting to get a few arrows bloody as well. We had all been holding out for a wallhanger, but decided that if by the last hour of the last night of our hunt we saw a doe with no buck trailing, we'd let her have it since we needed a "trophy photo" to commemorate the event.

The text messages started flying at the end as John and I put these three mature does down within about a 10-minute span. The little Ross Carnivore accounted for the two on the left, while the doe on the right fell to the valiant Guardian. Check out the size on that front doe!!

[​IMG]

And don't feel too sorry for Matt / PA for not getting to join in on all the reindeer fun... a couple days later he killed this public-land brute with his own Carnivore!

[​IMG]

A great time for sure, and we both extend our thanks to jmbuckhunter again!!

2. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats again guys!

3. NY/Al

NY/Al Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome job guys!

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job boys - any specs on the new bow??

5. Jim1966

Jim1966 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats.

6. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is the cam on that bow as big as it looks? I could hide behind that. Who needs a ground blind?

7. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    Justin,

The new Carnivore will be offered in 31", 34" and 37" a-to-a lengths. All the models feature a 7 1/4" brace height, and though I forgot to throw mine on the digital scale, they're featherweights. The 31" model features a draw length extending out to 30 inches, while the 34 goes to 31 inches and the 37" model can accomodate the 32" dl guys. We put the 31" models through their paces, and I must say I was impressed. I've never really been a fan of super-short a-to-a bows, as proven by the fact The General was the only bow in our lineup I didn't order in last year.

Having said that though, these new Carnivores held extremely steady and the lack of shot noise and almost non-existant recoil blew me away. After firing a few arrows through them, we both went back into my house to retrieve our Admirals and shot them side by side. The little Carnivore more than held its own in both noise and recoil levels, and MAY even be a touch quieter. For a conventional riser, solid-limb bow, it achieves levels never before seen in the industry from a quietness standpoint.

At the heart of the new advanced hybrid system is The Krank, which provides the leverage required to allow an ultra-smooth draw while drawing a much higher limb deflection than the norm. Thicker, stiffer limbs -- with approximately twice the deflection of the average limb -- eliminates “hot spots” found in typical limbs and creates flex throughout the entire length of the limb.

Matt and I knew the little pulley system was doing something special the first time we threw our bows in the press and it required double the effort to relax them. A quick question to Eugene revealed our first impressions were correct: We were pressing 140-lb. limbs in essence.

Combine all those attributes with the fact that the bow is noticeably lighter than our Admirals -- already a svelte 3.9 lbs. -- and I really think the Carnivore has a long-term place in my arsenal.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Very cool Greg, I look forward to checking them out at ATA and running a few arrows through them. Are you allowed to post any close-ups of the Krank system yet?

9. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    Ask and ye shall receive! :)

[​IMG]

10. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ahhhh, so the Carnivore is officially out of the bag huh!! I was privilaged enough to be the third person outside of the Bowtech Factory to view the beast. I actually did get to put a few arrows thru one too. The bow was not sighted in for me, but what a smooooooth shooter. I had to sign a vow of secrecy!!:d

Matt and Greg it was a pleasure to have you hunt with me on my property. Glad we got to shed a litle blood. Even tho the big guys were making themselves scarce. The all out frenzie really never seemed to happen this year. A little chasing here and there but that was it.

Somebody really needed to shoot half rack. I still see him nearly every day I am out there. H prolly won't make it thru gun season this weekend.

11. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good shooting there fellas! Can't wait till we start getting those Carnivores in at the shop.....I'm gonna take a close look at those!

12. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats again guys! :cool:

I got mine in the 34 inch version, rather than the 31's they have....Now if ya just didn't live so far away :confused: :d

13. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    Don't let Matt hear you say that... I think he was squirming bad enough passing up that super 2.5 year old that'd make book... much less thinking he could have shot half rack too! LOL!

14. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Greg does the Carnivore have center shot riser like the orginal Ross's?

15. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats guys, sounds like you all had a great time! wish I could see these pix, will check them out later.

16. Greg / MO

Dislikes Received:
    Germ,

Here's the answer I got back from the man who did most of the designing on this model...

Greg,
    The original centershot technology you're referring to has to do with the lower dogleg in the riser that allowed the string track a true vertical alignment with the idler. This was created at an offset distance that is very close to the center of the grip prior to any side loading that the riser may see. In many cases, a single cam bow is built without this feature and the string is often at a slight angle with respect to vertical. On the new Ross bows that utilize this riser, the same technology still applies. On the Carnivore the string track on the bottom and top cams align vertically similarly to a single cam bow so this would still apply for these bows. I hope this helps.

17. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It does thank you.

18. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats awesome guys Congrats to all of you.

19. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    awesoome guys :hail:

20. boonedog

boonedog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great job and I like hearing about the new bow technology!