A. J.....training

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by oldnotdead, Dec 29, 2020.

1. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully the meds will clear him up in no time. At times it sure is hard to tell when a dog isn't feeling up to par. Especially young exuberant puppies. They always seem happy and full of energy. Good luck with that, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Our Vet will not let you come inside with your pet. They meet you in the parking lot and then they take the animal inside. That is not a problem for our cats or the female pit. However, my Cur stand for it. He trusts no one but my wife and I. He would go ballistic if some stranger tried to take him where he didn't want to go. Before Covid, I'd put a muzzle on him and be at his side for all check ups. I'm sure they'd have to make an exception and allow me in with him.

I know some animals carry covid ...... can dogs?

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know about carry but THINK I remember one contracting and dying from it. I'm not worried about it really , Just people touching his fur and face that I handle. heart worm yes scrares me. I have never had a sick young dog since Strider a pure Samoyed I had. He was on seisure,allergy meds and allergic to about everything. He lived to be an old dog though.
    Ya, vet said he obviously doesn't know he's got heart worm . That things should be fine once treatment starts. I'm hoping false positive. She asked a strange question how was his car ride? I've been to the vets many times in my years and never heard that question. He's the best riding dog I've owned ,well since Strider. He goes everywhere with me. He will not like the summer when he can't run errands with me.
    Though THATS a ways away. We are taking a dive to single numbers here for the next few days, starting today. He is effected by cold. It bothers his feet that have zero pad potection. All my other shepherds had good paw pad fur. No long walks for a while. That won't stop his insistance to play fetch in the house. Lol he beats us with his throw toy until we aquiesce, I have the buises to prove it...hahahaha

Mod-it likes this.
  3. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I almost forgot about this ...... The BMC is a dog that originated in the south. We rescued ours from a shelter in southern Indiana in May of 2014. During his first winter with us he would develop hives when it got real cold outside. Bumps all over his legs. Benadryl helped a little. Over time he grew thicker fur and by the following winter he was over it. Now you can't keep him from going out in the cold. Our female pit runs out, does her business and comes right back when it is real cold. She still has much shorter fur than the Cur and naked skin on her belly. So I don't blame her for wanting back in right away.

You are resourceful, maybe you can make him some doggy boots!

oldnotdead likes this.
  4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    He has his insulated coat and wears it proudly! The way he flies ,I see no booties in his future...lol I did have him out for a bit today while I shoveled though. In short time he was insistent I allow him back in the house. It was great because he had free reign as I worked and would disappear a bit then come right back to herd me. Only once did he find trouble...he proudly dropped a frozen coffee filter at my feet. Hhmmmm found one of the compost piles out back...lol

GregH likes this.
  5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So confirmation came back and news, yep positive. Good news, no signs of breeding yet. So early stages. Two options , quick harsh or slow long and safer. The quick would have him crated for 3 months . On lead to ONLY potty and back to crate. Also possible heart attack,stroke and severe allegic reaction. Long will take 1-3 years killing worms slowly but with the possibility of them damaging vessel walls and kidneys. Though log term damage not a COMMON occurrence. Going long term. We start treatment as soon as pharmacy sends the meds to us.
    Short term is more expensive 700-1000.00, short term less. I never bothered asking. We would have had a dog with broken spirit if crated 3 months solid so it wasn't an option for me. Stll will need to be lead only out side for some time but free in house. Will just have to take more slow walks.

6. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is the lead necessary so he don't over do it by running wild?

oldnotdead likes this.
  7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Yes...he's a sprinter...lol
    He starts heavy duty antibiotics today then the worming when pharmacy calls and sends monthly meds.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  8. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    A.J.'s out door training is on hold. Besides snow being up to my knees and over his back ,we had an ER trip to vet this a.m..
    He woke up at 4:30 this morning coughing up foamy blood and breathing heavy and raspy. I started his HW treatment on the 4th. In one week he's lost 2.2#'s and todays lung exrays show his bronchial passages inflamed. He's now on steriods and anti vomit meds.. Apparently a reaction to the worms starting to die. Zip there goes another 414.00. Hubby hasn't batted an eye, he was so worried this morning. I'm starting to wonder if southern shelter didn't fudge his paper work test results or tests actually done.....

9. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck. I hope he recovers rapidly. I also hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get him well. Animals are strong and with his youth and enthusiasm I'm sure he'll be ok.

10. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Hey is what it is on cost.
    I just hate to see him like this, he gets real sick at night and is having trouble with the stairs now. He tripped going up them twice this a.m. And normally takes them in 3 bounds. He gets his anti vomit meds at night because of this. He also dreams bad now, I had to calm him in his sleep several times last night. He needs to be touching me when I'm watching TV,reading or just standing in the kitchen cooking. Lets loose barking at nothing. So yep hope he adjusts to meds soon,they are messing him up physically and mentally.

11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So this is kind of a cautionary tale to anyone that may take heart worm lightly. This could take 1-3 years in some cases. They ordered him the full year prescription to start.

12. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ugh, that sucks OND. I sure hope he responds well to the meds and gets back to his normal self soon.

oldnotdead and GregH like this.
  13. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks...potty every 2 hours due to steriods, vomiting stopped,this single digits have walks down to half mile then sleep with heavy breathing...now wish I'd gotten a treadmill instead of elliptical. He's a smart and agile boy but not enough to manage an elliptical for exercise..hahahaha

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    Mod-it likes this.
  14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So the vets stepping him off prednisone ,and scolded hubby over keeping him calm...no fetch in house! Lol
    These temps have kept us in anyways. He did go to gun shop with us the other day. Hubby can hardly wait for me to train him on the front seat. I just need to rig a better seat restraint for his safety or find one.
    Hubby showed his pic to a sub. that's from Mississippi and asked if he recognized the breed. Oh ya, they are all over down there and are working cattle dogs. Big time herding dogs from what he said. It shows in him for , not so much me, but he is constantly trying to herd hubby. I'm always hearing, " AJ stop! Stop circlinging me! " Hahaha

Wop 75 likes this.
  15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't updated in a while...he can go out with out a leash or e collar. Though when we go out to work he has the e collar on but I pretty much if not him. He never travels far enough the I'm out of his sight. His log walking, retrieving,sprinting and hurdles,and sit and stay are exceptional. A bit of an issue with getting over excited wanting love. So he's tugging your clothes and pinch. Serious mouthing issue still and the jumping when excited.

16. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    A.J. had his first "Very Bad Boy!!!" He isn't a garden dog yet...just can't avoid running through plants, even the strawberries in the tractor tires. So he has to stay home while I'm planting and working garden. He has chew toys ALL over the house but threw himself yesterday . Our stairs to 2nd floor has a landing part way up where they turn. He likes resting on that land because it gives him a view of porch and drive. He literally chewed the wall at the landing. Wood, drywall and all. Yep went right to town. That was his only chance one more and he gets crated when I leave.

17. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is pretty common with a highly affectionate type of dog. They crave your attention, so when you leave without them they'll do things that get them a lot of attention when you get home even if it is negative attention.
    I had a black lab/border collie cross that would chew when we left her at home. I bought her a nylon muzzle that I put on her when we were gone. She would worry at them with her paws and eventually get the bottom of them torn out enough that she could get it off and I had to replace it. After about 3 muzzles, she was around 4 years old by then, I came home one day to her without the muzzle on, she had gotten it torn up while we were gone. She hadn't chewed anything though, so I decided to chance leaving her without one the next few times. She either grew out of the chewing or finally figured out that it wasn't allowed, she never chewed up anything for the rest of her life.

oldnotdead likes this.
  18. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My dogs are used to going everywhere with me so they find it strange when I leave them in the house for any reason. Especially when they can see me right outside. There is only a few times that this happens, like when I am spraying rounup or insecticide or bowhunting. They are very good by themselves. Example, the garbage can under the kitchen sink isn't very large. When it gets full we take it out and set it to the side and use it until it is full. I can leave the dogs unattended in the house with the garbage bag sitting out and they won't touch it.

Only one time it was an issue. I left to go bowhunting and was walking to my stand. My big dog watches me go from every window and starts howling because he thinks he should be with me when I go out into the woods. A couple of years ago, he got even with me for not letting him come with me and he spread the garbage all over the kitchen. A few stern words was all it took to convey my displeasure and it hasn't happened since!

I've been lucky in that my current 2 dogs have never chewed anything that wasn't theirs. I have had dogs in the past that have ate remotes, books, couches and even opened Christmas presents.

oldnotdead likes this.
  19. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Yap..Angel was a great and very good girl but when we first got her she got upset that I left her to do some tractor work. She didn't go after the cheap stuff...No she ate hubbies 200 dollar dress shoes and just one of each pair of my high heels.That ended up being a 400 dollar " BAD GIRL,BAD BAD GIRL!!!!" I was not good about it...the shoes were tied to her collar and she was made to wear them around her neck with a reminder of her being a bad girl each time we caught her trying to free herself from her "necklace". She wouldn't even look at our shoes after that.

Mod-it likes this.