A Holidays heads up

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rickmur, Oct 21, 2013.

1. rickmur

rickmur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just in time for the Holiday Shopping Season...a reminder of things to come,

PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR RECEIPTS - THIS IS IMPORTANT
    WITH THE CHRISTMAS SEASON COMING UP THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT. PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG!!!!!
    CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS BEFORE LEAVING ANY CASHIER'S STATION!!!!!

THIS COULD HAPPEN ANYWHERE.

It happened at a Wal-Mart Supercenter a month ago.

I bought a bunch of stuff, over $150, & I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of $40. I told her I didn't request a cash back & to delete it.
    She said I'd have to take the $40 because she couldn't delete it. I told her to call a supervisor.

Supervisor came & said I'd have to take it! I said NO! Taking the $40 would be a cash advance against my Discover & I wasn't paying interest on the cash advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order.
    So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & rescan everything!

The second time I looked at the electronic tab before I signed & a cash-back of $20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it.

The total came out right. the cashier agreed that the electronic pad must be defective. (yeah, right!)

Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad wasn't defective because she NEVER offered me the $40 at the beginning.
    Can you imagine how many people went through before me & at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

Just to alert everyone. My coworker went to Milford , DE Wal-Mart last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt.

She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her.
    My coworker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for $20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK!

My coworker called Wal-Mart who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her This is a new scam. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in line.

Please, please, please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards!

This is NOT limited to Wal-Mart, although they are the largest retailer so they have the most incidents.

I am adding to this.... My husband and I were in Wal-Mart North Salisbury and paying with a credit card. When my husband went to sign the credit card signer, he just happened to notice there was a $20 cash back added. He told the cashier that he did not ask nor want cash back and she said this machine has been messing up and she canceled it.
    We didn't think anything of it until we read this email.

I wonder how many "seniors" have been, or will be, "stung" by this one????

THIS SCAM CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE, AT ANY RETAIL OR WHOLESALE LOCATION!!!

BEFORE LEAVING THE CASHIER'S STATION!!!!!
    CHECK YOUR RECEIPT
    BEFORE LEAVING THE STAND. I'VE SEEN PEOPLE DO JUST THAT. NOW I'LL START!

PASS THIS ON TO YOUR FRIENDS, KIDS, LOVED ONES

2. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sad but not surprising.

What really annoys me is that Discover is the ONLY credit card I've used that will ask on one of those pads if you want cash back. Its stupid. Most other credit cards won't do that and all check cards I've used need a pin to process a debit /cash back transaction.

Such a stupid 'feature' in my opinion.

Thanks for the post.

3. Sswpriz

Sswpriz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    #1 - Welcome Rick, man, I haven't seen you around in a long time
    #2 - I haven't had the cash back thing pop up on me but I do check my receipts and twice in the last 6 months at Walmart, I've had them ring up more items that I purchased, basically, I buy 3 items , they ring up 4, I always look at the receipts.

4. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    did this happen to you or is this a chain e-mail?

5. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Walmart did this to my wife yesterday, charged her 20.00 more for her items.

6. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hooker this gets better, my wife has me call Walmart and I get all medal evil on them. My wife calls me today and now remembers she got 20 dollars cash out(she tossed the receipt, first thing I asked) and forgot about it. So now I have to call Walmart back and eat crow.

This all just happened, LOL

7. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Screw it...I wouldn't call them! :)

8. rickmur

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks priz for the welcome. Hooker, no it didn't happened to me. I do use a bank debit card but I use the credit action instead of the debit action. With the credit action you can't get cash back to begin with, only when you use it as a debit can you receive cash back. The Walmart it mentions is but 10 miles from my house though.

9. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a credit card for every single purchase I make down to a pack of gum... All purchases are protected and I get free flights a few times a year out of it. I don't understand why more dont go this route.

10. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  11. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Are you sure that you're not related to George Bush? :p

12. rickmur

Dislikes Received:
    Snopes??? R u kidding me? Their so far left I wouldn't believe
    a word they put in print.

13. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  14. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because most live beyond their means and end up racking up a huge credit card bill and paying lots of interest.

Plus you're putting a lot of faith in a less than trustworthy entity in the credit card industry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

15. rickmur

Dislikes Received: