A different approach to mineral supplementation...

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by tynimiller, Jun 9, 2017.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We (pops and I) have witnessed this over the years and while we knew it existed and worked....never really understood the why or "nutrient make up or reasons" behind it.

It makes 100% perfect sense why and how plants operate that a tree with a strong root system during the peak growing season (and even after dormant somewhat) would quickly attempt to keep the biomass balance most operate under.

Give the discussion/podcast by MSU Deer Lab on "Mineral Stumps"

http://extension.msstate.edu/sites/...isode007Mineral_Stumps_for_Deer_Nutrition.mp3

Red Maple...one of the least desirable trees and nutrient qualities...they got near 20% in all and some as high as 30% crude protein!!! However, Phosphorous levels were incredible not just for Red Maple but in all of them! The average Forb level of phosphorous was doubled in a bad Red Maple....

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Jeepwillys likes this.
  2. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Spare me the video (at work), what are you suggesting here?

3. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    It isn't a video but a podcast by MSU deer lab.

Extremely abridged version is when you clear cut even a low grade typically avoided brows like say red maple....the stump shoots are the only way the plant to redistribute the nutrients/biomass ratio back to being closer to the typically around 1:1 ratio.

So something that is typically below 8 or even 6 in crude protein now due to this survival and recovery mechanism in many hardwoods has 15, 20 and even near 30% crude protein levels when tested....phosphorous doubles...basically every mineral that can be delivered by the plant elevates exponentially.

Give it a listen when time, driving or mowing or something.

4. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    There is also a short video on their facebook page as well that is worth checking out if you don't want to listen to a 40 or so minute podcast on the topic.

5. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This would be the preferred option i believe.

I dont think i can sit through a 2 minute podcast honestly.

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    :tu: LOL. I listen to podcasts a lot on way to work and back home...otherwise cannot listen to them either myself much. All day sits sometimes I'll throw one on and put a earbud in.