A couple questions about bowhunting for turkeys this upcoming spring!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by C DUDE, Dec 22, 2011.

1. C DUDE

C DUDE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, I've hunted turkey's before with a shotgun and decided that this year I'm going to step-up to the plate and try taking one with a bow. So I have a couple questions for you vets or anyone willing to answer. Number 1, do you perfer to use a blind or not? Number 2, Fixed or Mechanical BH's? And Number 3, what's the secret to getting them close? Thanks! :tu:

2. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would talk to Bloodcrick on the forum. He has lots of experience taking turkeys with a bow. If I'm not mistaken too, he does it from the ground with no blind.

As far as broadhead goes, I would use the largest cutting diameter head that you are confident in. The more energy you can transfer into the bird, the better.

Hope this helps, goodluck!

3. kb9vbt

kb9vbt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here is what I have learned over the years! I like a blind, you can get away with more movement! You don't need it but it helps! I like the Rage 2 heads because of the cutting diameter! I do know some guys that use old fixed blade heads and they dull the tips to help stop pass through's! When it comes to getting them close I'll set my decoys about 15 yards from my blind and face them toward the blind! All this has worked for me! See avatar!

4. C DUDE

C DUDE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea that's a h*** of a turkey my man. But I'm a little skeptical about the rage's I know alot of people that's had problems with them, so I've been hesitant

5. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I asked all of these question over the last few years, and I'll tell you what I have been told, and learned over the last few years.

There are a million different BH's on the market, as you know, there are also many designed for birds. but the best piece of advice I received was, if you can kill a deer with it, you can kill a turkey with it. A turkey makes a "pop" sound when you crush one with a thunderhead! if you're a fixed blade guy because you like having the confidence of if it being open, then shoot your FB... I do. If you want to try some of the bigger BH's out there designed for head shots, have at it, I'm thinking about it for this year.

If its your first time, use a blind, absolutely use a blind! thats all I can say. It's a royal PITA setting up, taking down, and hauling in and out on top of decoys, but it will most likely be your key to success on your first bird. If you've hunted them with a shotgun you know how good their eyes are, now try drawing a bow! I shoot a 29" draw, and recommend buying a blind that is atleast 65" square. I used a 60" last year, you'd be surprised how much difference 5" makes (for me).

A good decoy set up is key for getting them close, 15-20 yards is good, I usually go with a full strut Jake (just a cheap decoy, but with a real jake fan) and two hens one bedded, and one feeding or alert. I like to space them out a little maybe 4 or 5 yards left to right from your vantage point, it gives a Tom space to work himself between the jake and hen Dec's, that seemed to work really well for me. Also something I've heard more-so than experienced, If you know where the Tom is coming from face the Jake away, They like to approach face on, and that way he will have to come all the way into your set-up in order to face the Jake.

I'm by no means an expert, I got very lucky and killed a new state record double-bearded bird with a bow last year, and I'm sold on shooting them with a bow. took me 10 days to kill one (missed on day 2), could have tagged out the first weekend with a shotgun but there is nothing like putting the time in and doing it with the bow. More guys will start to chime in as the season gets closer.

6. C DUDE

C DUDE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I've got a blind I've used for whitetail and such so I'll probably just use it. And I'd have to say the fixed blades would be my route. But otherwise thanks for the input, especially the decoy idea

7. kb9vbt

kb9vbt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The only problem I've had is the O-ring getting cracked! Before every hunt I take my arrows with the head closed properly and smack the arrow on my hand a few times. If they open I change the O-ring! I have 2 deer and a turkey with the same head and never lost and animal with them! I didn't have a pass through on that bird but I hit leg on one side and it stuck in the wing on the other!

The main thing is use a head that your comfortable with! If you don't trust the Rage don't use them! Their are many great heads out their!

8. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  9. SG843

SG843 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No man made blind for me due to hunting public lands and I like to remain mobile. Just tuck in close to natural cover and keep movement to minimum and watch the bird's atittude. I use fix blades but use the ones that have nicks or the slightly duller ones for turkeys.

10. Downeast

Downeast Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a blind as the guys say it helps keep movement down. Just make sure you dress in black or they will pick you up.I am also a Rage 2 blade man. They work great on Turkeys.

11. C DUDE

C DUDE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yea I figured you'd have to wear atleast a black top in the blind. But if all you guys keep on saying rage for turkeys I may fork up the 40$ for them lol.

12. kb9vbt

kb9vbt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Look at kmart.com! They did have them for under $30 shipped!

13. Downeast

Downeast Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Look on Ebay some good deals there

14. HIDE-A-BOW

HIDE-A-BOW Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I used to hunt turkeys with a shot gun, but my passion is bow hunting. At first I would hunt turkey's with a bow and get busted drawing on them 8 out of 10 times. So I developed the Hide-A-Bow, it's a bow mounted blind that's light weight(1 pound) and attaches to your bow at the stabilizer mounting hole. It's easily attachable and conveniently portable. It has leafy mess that come in Realtree AP and Lost Como from Mathews.

No need to carry a heavy pop-up blind but yet gives you the concealment you need to move your hands to the bow and draw on a turkey without being detected. It also has a set of legs that stands your bow up in a up-right position were as you don't have to hold your bow waiting for sometimes minutes on minutes for the bird to come into range. I usually kill all my turkeys with-in 15 to 20 yards.
    As for decoys I've tried them all and I found the best decoy on the market is the Spin-n-Strut decoy... hands down.
    As for broad heads use the one your most accurate with because hitting the right spot on a turkey is critical so as the turkey doesn't have a chance to fly or flop to far from were you shoot him. I always aim just above the drum stix or at that level. If you put all these tactic together, I see no problem with success of taking a turkey, the first one that comes to the decoy....Best of the Hunt No need to carry a heavy pop-up blind but yet gives you the concealment you need to move your hands to the bow and draw on a turkey without being detected. It also has a set of legs that stands your bow up in a up-right position were as you don't have to hold your bow waiting for sometimes minutes on minutes for the bird to come into range. I usually kill all my turkeys with-in 15 to 20 yards.
    As for decoys I've tried them all and I found the best decoy on the market is the Spin-n-Strut decoy... hands down.
    As for broad heads use the one your most accurate with because hitting the right spot on a turkey is critical so as the turkey doesn't have a chance to fly or flop to far from were you shoot him. I always aim just above the drum stix or at that level. If you put all these tactic together, I see no problem with success of taking a turkey, the first one that comes to the decoy....Best of the Hunt

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  15. Ninja of the woods

Ninja of the woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know nothing about turkey hunting but G5 makes a vermit broadhead it is basically like a really wide drill bit. Might wantr to check them out. G5 vermits or something like that.

16. Ninja of the woods

Ninja of the woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    *its called a small game head. Check them out. Like I said I do not know anything but just something to look at.